Flagstaff, AZ

krichardson

I am attending Northern Arizona University in the fall and I want to know what it is like there. I have lived in southern Arizona for a few years and my undergrad was completed at University of Arizona in Tucson. I was wondering how different Flagstaff, AZ and Northern Arizona University are from where I currently live and have gone to school.

Flagstaff is definitely a much different climate than Tucson. I lived in Tucson for several years before moving to Flag and it's a really big change. The town is very small, only about 65 thousand people. The weather is completely opposite. There are actually 4 seasons, and a very long winter. The winters have been light the past 2 years, but usually they receive a pretty substantial amount of snow. That being said, Warm weather is only a short drive away. There is a lot to do in terms of outdoors activities and a decent nightlife. I really enjoyed the change, but I was getting sick of the desert. Let me know if you have any specific questions about the city or NAU, I'd be happy to answer them for you.

I don't know much about the anthropology program, but the student to faculty ratio tends to be pretty low (definitely lower than UA!). I've really enjoyed working with all of the professors I've been in classes with. For the most part they have been very accessible and easy to reach. Traffic isn't bad. Its definitely a small town so can get a little backed up in the summer with tourists, but it never takes very long to get anywhere. It's much much better than Tucson traffic! The busses are all upgraded and fairly new. If you live near campus its really easy to catch a bus. I would just avoid living in the smaller outlying neighborhoods, they're the only areas that don't really have great transportation.

Hi! I will also attend NAU in Fall 2012! I'm an international student. Can you please give me some information about housing? Cost/location?

Edited by Marina

Cost varies by how close you are to campus. I think most apartments near campus are around 600-800 for a one bedroom. I would definitely recommend roommates! It's a little bit pricey up here compared to the rest of Arizona. There are a few lower income areas, but I don't think there are really any bad areas of town. If you don't have a vehicle though, it would be much easier to stay closer to campus.

I am attending Northern Arizona University in the fall and I want to know what it is like there. I have lived in southern Arizona for a few years and my undergrad was completed at University of Arizona in Tucson. I was wondering how different Flagstaff, AZ and Northern Arizona University are from where I currently live and have gone to school.

I am currently finishing my MS here at NAU in mathematics, and I also did my undergraduate work at UA! You will find NAU vastly different from Tucson. Getting accustomed to the snow and cold weather was a huge change for me, having lived in Tucson most of my life.

On the other hand, it is much safer in Flagstaff than in Tucson in my opinion. I have experienced zero crime, theft, etc. in the two years I've been here.

As kriskros mentioned it is quite a bit more expensive in Flag than it is in southern Arizona. I currently pay $720 a month for a one bedroom and this is one of the lowest costs in the city. I do highly recommend the apartment complex I live in, which is called Bear Ridge apartments. It is about 1.5 miles from campus, so it might be difficult to manage without a car, but the price and quality of living are great.

What's the temperature in the winter and in the summer like? Since I'm from Siberia, I guess nothing can be colder than -37 C....

Damn! Now I will have to get used to Fahreinheit! :)

If you're from Siberia it won't be a problem. I am used to living in the desert, so moving here was a big adjustment for me. The winter temperatures are between -10 to -5 C for the average lows. In terms of the summer, it is quite lovely indeed. The summer temperature ranges from 15 to 20 C in the summer. It is quite windy here, and we do get a lot of snow during the winter on average.

:) :) :) -10 or -5 C is almost summer for me! As for the summer temperature, I expected it to be quite high. Anyways, I can't wait to start studying there! I'm sure I'll like Flagstaff!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I also was admitted to NAU. How is the history program? I've heard it's big on envir studies - and I'm doing envir hist - is it true that it's very eco/crunchy and the green movement is a big deal there? Do you think it's a great place for

Master's students? Thanks!

• 5 years later...

Trying to revive this topic

I've got accepted in the PhD program at NAU and right now I'm considering my options that's why I wanted to know how much do people pay in rent at Flagstaff usually? What is the average cost of living?

Also any advice on how to search for apartments or roommates?

• 2 weeks later...

I got accepted to NAU for their psychology MA and my fiancé and I have been looking at housing! Rent seems fairly high (we’re coming from an SEC school where rent is about 700-1000 for a 1 bedroom) and in Flagstaff it seems around that on the lower end . There’s a good number of apartments and houses for rent on Craigslist. It’s also worth searching Google for “Flagstaff property management” and looking at listings on their website. From what we’ve found a 2-3 bedroom ranges from about 1300-2000/ month. It seems like Flagstaff is a smaller town that has rapidly grown and the housing market can’t catch up! If you haven’t visited, it’s a lovely town and we’re super excited to move there.

As far as finding roommates, I’m not too sure! On Craigslist I’ve seen some listings for vacant bedrooms in houses that already have occupants, so seeing if one of those fits your needs could be beneficial! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2018 at 4:48 PM, Felice said:

Could anyone recommend what places to visit around here? I am from a larger east coast city so I was a bit confused about how large the down town area is! This responses are definitely making me feel less nervous to go here though :) 

I just know that it’s 1.5 hours away from Grand Canyon and 6 hours away from LA.