Toronto OISE MA Counselling?

omigoshlolz

Another day of no mail and no reply from Todd. I finally decided to email him today to see if it might have been sent to the wrong address because I had entered the wrong house number initially (maybe that was already stupid enough for them to not want me to be a student in their program...). In any case, no news from McGill, SFU or U of T. 

@Salamander: According to the OISE Counselling MEd website, the minimum admission requirements is a B+ which is 77-79% on the U of T 4.0 scale. I found this information here:

http://www.oise.utoronto.ca/aphd/Prospective_Students/Programs/Counselling_Psychology/Program_Overview/MEd(CE)/index.html

http://www.artsci.utoronto.ca/newstudents/transition/academic/grading

I also went to a uni that grades on a 4.33 scale which is really confusing. I've been trying to find a good conversion scale and I found the UBC/SFU conversion scale which was helpful and I'm assuming it would be the same thing. I can post the link on here later today, if you want to check what the equivalent would be.

@salamder - To answer your question about the GPA, I think it depends on the program. I know that for thesis based programs (according to one of my profs who sits on admissions committee for other grad programs), they place a lot of emphasis on GPA. Whereas for non-thesis programs, such as the  one I applied to I've had a few people say to me that as long as I've made the GPA cut off, which is B+ and over, they really stress your practical and related experiences.

And you would'nt have access to ROSI since you weren't an undergrad student at UofT so I suppose you'll just have to wait :(

I had mentioned my GPA and background a few pages ago on this forum lol so you can just go back a few pgs and see :) But to briefly mention here- my final year GPA is 3.5/4.0 and my experiences are working in a counseling agency for 3 years in different positions all of which involved talking to clients on a crisis line, seeing walk-in clients and facilitating group therapy sessions etc. 

I hope all of you guys hear back soon! I know its been a loooooong wait

So I heard back from Todd and I was "recommended for refusal at this time" (what a nice way of saying rejected) for the Counseling MA and MEd but I have to email someone else to find out about the School and Clinical Child MA. I doubt I got into that one or waitlisted because people posted that they were contacted about a month ago... 

And the worst part is that I haven't heard from any of the other programs I applied to and I need to make a decision about a job offer by tomorrow. It's a medical marketing research job that would essentially put me on a different career track altogether but given my difficulty getting in this year, I doubt my application would be much stronger next year. I have a 3.86 overall GPA, 3.94 for my last year (these are out of 4.3 but high for SFU), I worked as a behaviour interventionist with kids with ASD for 3 years, a live-in caregiver for 30 teenagers for 8 months, was actually teaching 3rd year undergrads writing as a TA for a year and was a research assistant and research coordinator for 4 years... I had three reference letters from professors at SFU I worked for and took classes with and I doubt they were bad references... the only thing I didn't have is a paper published (just an abstract and posters) and no crisis line experience. So frustrating! I wish there was more info on the kinds of GPA and work experience people had who did get in, so I can try to get into similar positions. 

Sorry about the rant... what a frustrating process grad school applications are! 

I completely agree that it's a very frustrating process not only to apply but the waiting as well! :( it is a bit confusing to figure out what kinds of experiences/GPA they are looking for. It seems to me that you have way more experience than I do so I'm surprised that you didn't even make it to the MEd program. I hope that you were able to make your decision about your job offer though ( Congratulations on that btw!)

If I hear back from oise and find out that I made it to the program, I will definitely shed some light on the "profile" of their students that are there, so you guys can maybe get an idea of what type of applicants they like :)

Thank you, ToughCookie. This seems to be my week of rejections. I got reject by McGill for the Project concentration (which pretty much means I will be rejected for the intership one as well but they're not releasing results until the end of the week) and found out I am waitlisted at for SFU counselling. I am first on the waitlist which is exciting but what if this is the one year everyone accepts?!  

WooHoo!! :) congratulations!! It's good that you know where you rank on the wait list, I'm scared to even email and find out- if I'm first on the wait list then ill be super nervous but if I'm in the middle/towards the end ill still feel shitty lol

And you NEVER know, I'm sure there's applicants who have applied elsewhere and got in and will be turning down the offer :)

Yeah, I guess it means I have a bit of a chance of actually getting in this year but it also makes me really worried that for some reason this happens to be the one year everyone accepts. I guess most people will be taking the weekend to decide depending on how much time they have.

I hope you are high on the U of T waitlist! With your experience it sounds like you should have a really good chance of getting in. My friend (who was also waitlisted for U of T) found some stats that said that 32 of 48 who received an offer for the MEd last year accepted so that means that up to 16 from the waitlist got an offer!! I really hope you both get in. I'd love to at least be on the waitlist but at this point SFU is my only chance of getting in this year...

Do you know the deadline for students at SFU to respond to their offer? That might give you an idea as to approximately when you might hear back if you get in. That's why I've been wondering what the deadline for accepting offers is at oise. It seems to me based on previous posts, that accepted students have 3 weeks from receiving their letter to respond...

And that's pretty cool that she got those stats, do you know where she got those from? Also, I was just reading this online so I thought I'd share-

http://www.idealist.org/info/GradEducation/Resources/Applying/Waitlisted

Oh I suppose she got it from the OISE website, I just saw it here- http://www.ro.oise.utoronto.ca/RO_Official.htm

But the thing that's confusing me is- it says 48 were offered admission, 32 got in but 32 were registered for 2013-2014. Does that mean no one from wait list was offered admission? Or does the 48 include those who were wait listed?

Oh, you're right, that is a bit confusing. I don't think I understand enough about this to share any insightful comments. I can't believe how many people applied to the Counselling MEd and School psych programs... no wonder I didn't even get waitlisted!

The tips on what to do when you're on the waitlist are pretty cool. It seems that most schools don't have ranked waitlists, so I hope the fact that I was told I am number one on the waitlist means that I am next in line if a spot opens up. I just hope enough people reject their offers that I can get in because I don't think I can go through this again... and I don't think I would have a stronger application next year because my new job is in marketing research and I was hoping not to spend another year working and volunteering 80 hours a week just to get rejected in the end anyways. 

Aw, thank you - I hope you do, too!! I have no clue when I will find out... I was told to keep in touch with the program assistant and I will be able to get updates that way.  I guess I will email again on Monday to see if there are any updates and to ask a few important questions. I am not even sure if I am waitlisted for the MA or the MEd. I guess I should have consulted the link you sent before replying to the email but patience is not my strength when it comes to these things... I also don't want to annoy her because she probably gets hundreds of emails a day by students who want information.  Some people tell me I should just go to the office and try to convince them but I don't see that working at all. 

There's not much information regarding the timeline for notifications for U of T, is there? If this year doesn't work out, I'll try to get into an MSW as well next year because there are way more job options in healthcare with an MSW. 

Aw, thank you - I hope you do, too!! I have no clue when I will find out... I was told to keep in touch with the program assistant and I will be able to get updates that way.  I guess I will email again on Monday to see if there are any updates and to ask a few important questions. I am not even sure if I am waitlisted for the MA or the MEd. I guess I should have consulted the link you sent before replying to the email but patience is not my strength when it comes to these things... I also don't want to annoy her because she probably gets hundreds of emails a day by students who want information.  Some people tell me I should just go to the office and try to convince them but I don't see that working at all. 

There's not much information regarding the timeline for notifications for U of T, is there? If this year doesn't work out, I'll try to get into an MSW as well next year because there are way more job options in healthcare with an MSW. 

I think your chances are great! I really can't imagine there not being any offers that were declined. I got offered a position off a wait list somewhere else and I was definitely not next in line to begin with. Good luck!

Yea maybe in a few weeks, when the admissions officers/staff etc. have had some breathing room, I may send a brief email just to touch base with them...

Gaaahh!! I wanna get off the wait list already and start my program! :)

And I still haven't got my letter from UofT... what does this meeeaaannnnn

The department said that if we haven't heard back from OISE, that means we are rejected. They sent out all the offers and processing rejections atm :( 

I live in Ottawa and I got the letter yesterday.  l already knew that I was rejected, the paper letter did not provide me with more information. It only said that my application was not strong enough to be

awarded an admission space.