Toronto OISE MA Counselling?

omigoshlolz

Hi!

Has anyone else applied to U of Toronto's OISE Masters in Counselling Psychology program? If yes, have you heard anything yet? There aren't any postings on the results page, but there haven't been many in previous years either. My application status is still "under review", but I'm not reading too much into this as my application status to the same program last year didn't change to "decision made" until my application to the program THIS YEAR turned to "under review".

Sick of the waiting, blahhh.

Thanks!

same here!!

no response at all. my app status is still under review. did u get an interview from OISE? An counseling psy student at UT told me that there is no interview involved in the admission for this program, but i surprisingly found out that there is an interview on the result survey page on this website. i am so anxious!

i see u appied to University of Western Ontario as well, have u hear from them?

The U of T program doesn't have an interview, as far as I know! I also saw that entry on the results page, but I'm assuming that person's POI called to ask a few questions and she inputed it as an actual interview!

I haven't heard anything at all from UWO either!

Hey guys,

I've also applied to OISE counselling psychology (M.A. and Ph.D). I received a call, a while back, from a prof at the department of counselling psychology (I am confident that she's on the committee). She started the conversation by asking me about my current research, my research interest and my career goal. She then talked about her current work and her interest in research. The whole conservation lasted 14 minutes. Anyhow, she told me a decision will be made, by the committee, 3 weeks from today (she called me on Feb 24, 12), so we should hear from them very soon.

BTW, I was rejected from Uof Ottawa and McGill.

Good Luck!

its so nice to see that i am not alone in this painful waiting..

tm-_-tm, does all counseling psy professors interview students before offering an admission? Is the professor who called u your POI? Has your sgs status changed?

It is already 3 weeks from Feb 24, I still havnt heard anything!

I am so emotionally exhuasted by checking my email and SGS every 5 mins!!

its so nice to see that i am not alone in this painful waiting..

tm-_-tm, does all counseling psy professors interview students before offering an admission? Is the professor who called u your POI? Has your sgs status changed?

It is already 3 weeks from Feb 24, I still havnt heard anything!

I am so emotionally exhuasted by checking my email and SGS every 5 mins!!

Hey. I don't think interview is part of an integrated selection process according to their website. I have no idea why she called me... and no, she is not my POI--I don't think we were given the option to pick our POI.

I am guessing the prof who called me was interested in me, and that I was on her short-list for potential candidates. From what I know, all applicants are evaluated and ranked on an individual basis by profs who will be taking-in new student(s) at September. The way in which our application is reviewed varies... based on the prof's method of preference.

Nop, my SGS status hasn't changed yet. Like you and all others, I am still waiting for a decision to be made; I have to admit, the wait is indeed very painful and frustrating!

Don't bother checking the SGS.... the status will remain unchanged indefinitely. I will, however, check an eye on my e-mail. Anyway, you need not to worry.. I highly doubt that the result will be conveyed to us before March 28th.

Hey. I don't think interview is part of an integrated selection process according to their website. I have no idea why she called me... and no, she is not my POI--I don't think we were given the option to pick our POI.

I am guessing the prof who called me was interested in me, and that I was on her short-list for potential candidates. From what I know, all applicants are evaluated and ranked on an individual basis by profs who will be taking-in new student(s) at September. The way in which our application is reviewed varies... based on the prof's method of preference.

Nop, my SGS status hasn't changed yet. Like you and all others, I am still waiting for a decision to be made; I have to admit, the wait is indeed very painful and frustrating!

Don't bother checking the SGS.... the status will remain unchanged indefinitely. I will, however, check an eye on my e-mail. Anyway, you need not to worry.. I highly doubt that the result will be conveyed to us before March 28th.

Thanks for your clarification. I wonder what is taking them so long this year. According to the result survey page, people got their admission in early Feb last year.

I did not know that we are not able to pick a POI. I listed a professor that I am interested in working with on my personal statement. and I contacted him at the department asking him this availability of taking new grad student this fall, and he encouraged me to apply. I am eager to contact him again asking about the status of my app to end the waiting. But I don't think I am ready for bad news :(

Thanks for your clarification. I wonder what is taking them so long this year. According to the result survey page, people got their admission in early Feb last year.

I did not know that we are not able to pick a POI. I listed a professor that I am interested in working with on my personal statement. and I contacted him at the department asking him this availability of taking new grad student this fall, and he encouraged me to apply. I am eager to contact him again asking about the status of my app to end the waiting. But I don't think I am ready for bad news :(

I'd say go ahead and ask him about the status of your application; the pain in waiting is so much worse than a big fat rejection upfront, at least it is for me. Plus, there's always a chance that you're "ACCEPTED". Let me know how it goes if you ever decide to ask! Best of Luck!

I applied for MA at CSTD. I was highly encouraged to apply by the department, and had a conversation with a professor who agreed to meet me - totally unknown to him. I think OISE encourages every person who encourages himself.... Right? It is a bit of a money making too. I guess... Waiting, waiting.

I'd say go ahead and ask him about the status of your application; the pain in waiting is so much worse than a big fat rejection upfront, at least it is for me. Plus, there's always a chance that you're "ACCEPTED". Let me know how it goes if you ever decide to ask! Best of Luck!

I think he will email me if I got accepted? Also, I am an international student, I guess the process will be longer than u guys, I suppose that u guys r all local?

I guess I will email him next Monday, fingers crossed.

What other school did u apply other than OISE? I also applied to clinical psy at Ryerson, Waterloo and Western, I heard nothing other than a painful rejection from Western. I heard that Ryerson has already given out their offers, so I guess Ryerson is down as well.

I've applied to Ottawa and McGill, both of which got rejected. You will get an e-mail from the Registrar's office regardless of the result. There are only so many openings each year for International students, so the competition is worst for international students than it is for us, locals. I study at the U of Waterloo, and I am confident to say that compared to other universities... the Department of Psychology is fairly small, which translates to few Clinical professors and extreme competition. To make things worst, the professor who I am working with at the moment will be leaving for sabbatical and so, the list for available POI just reduced in size.

The professor I listed in my PS is Dr. David Moscovitch at U of Waterloo. I emailed him before I apply, but never got a response. Do u know if he is taking new students this fall? Also, do you know if they have given out acceptance or not?

I am aware of the fact that its extremely competitive for international students. Getting into a clinical psy program in Canada is like a dream for non local students. Maybe I will try apply to M.A. in Social Work next yr, which is less competitive if I dont get in this yr.

I know who Dr. David Moscovitch is, but I haven't spoke to him before so I wouldn't know. What I do know is that he is very nice but slow on e-mails. FYI, I do think that he is taking-in new students next September.

Clinical Psych is extremely competitive, even for local students. My marks are stellar, with most Psych courses that I took above 95%, I was still rejected from Mcgill and ottawa. BTW, I read the post that you listed, is it reliable?

I am not sure whether that post is reliable or not. I replied the post asking how did s/he get the info. S/he hasnt respond yet.

I saw several rejections on the result page here at Waterloo, but my status is still "no decision has been made". If Dr. David Moscovitch is not taking any students, then I guess I will not be accepted. I am not as interested in Clinical Psy as I am in Counseling Psy, plus I really like my POI's research at OISE, so my only wish is getting into the Counseling program.

Wah! Your marks are so high, I only have 2 90+ with my Psy courses. I am sure you will be accepted by OISE, as you seems to be the only one getting an interview. I envy u :P

Don't envy me :D// I screwed up the Interview, badly. She called me right before I went to bed after pulling an all-nighter, I couldn't answer the simplest questions she threw at me like "why did you apply to Counselling Psychology". Oh well

lol. You should read off your personal statement. It seems like all the questions that she asked you is included in a PS. Do you have any psy related working experience? Do you think getting more such experience will help in applying Clinial psy programs?

Also, I cant think of a better reason of getting in the program than becoming a Counseling/Clinical psychologist. haha

I do not have any work experience. I do, however, have research experience. She caught me off-guard since I wasn't expecting a call or to discuss my application.

I tried to stay away from saying things like becoming a counsellor--My prof at Waterloo told me in specific that potential supervisors are wary of applicants whose interests are limited to counselling work, in opposed to research.