Toronto OISE MA Counselling?

omigoshlolz

It may take a while for Quest to be updated. He's not the only POI that you enrolled right? If so, then perhaps your other POIs are still reviewing your application or maybe a letter of notification is on it's way.

I am interested in knowing how many applicants got onto the wait list for M.A. Counselling Psychology at OISE this year and last year.

i asked him about my app status on monday, and he replied me today saying that the register's office didnt give him more info on my app either. i will send an email to ask my poi abt the waiting list thing on monday.

regarding u of waterloo, unfortunately he is the only professor that i listed on my application. that is why i dont understand why they havn't reject me.

I have a question for those who got accepted or waitlisted. Did your status online change? Also, when we applied we had to rank the programs at OISE/give a top 3, were yours all Counselling as first choice?

My online status still indicates "Under Review". I don't know about others, but my first choice was M.A. in Counseling Psychology, seconded by Ph.D in Counseling Psych, and Ph.D in Counseling Psychology (flex term) as my 3rd choice.

I have a question for those who got accepted or waitlisted. Did your status online change? Also, when we applied we had to rank the programs at OISE/give a top 3, were yours all Counselling as first choice?

my online status hasnt change, i listed ma in counseling psy as my first choice. and m.edu as my second.

Usually all the MA's in OISE Counselling Psychology are contacted via phone call. If you haven't received a call by now, you weren't accepted. Sorry guys.

And your online status never changes. Mine is still under review from 2 years ago.

Edited by kaipsychology

Usually all the MA's in OISE Counselling Psychology are contacted via phone call. If you haven't received a call by now, you weren't accepted. Sorry guys.

And your online status never changes. Mine is still under review from 2 years ago.

Does this also apply to those who are on the Wait list?

my online status hasnt change, i listed ma in counseling psy as my first choice. and m.edu as my second.

Sorry to hear that... who knows maybe the candidate will turn down his/her offer.

Not sure how recent this is. Called the admissions office this morning. Said they only contact via mail. All decisions have been made. They send out the mail in chunks, depending on where you live, not by whether you were accepted or not. Could be received as late as early April (so next week)

Edited by hails11

Does this also apply to those who are on the Wait list?

No. If you are on the waitlist, you should generally receive an e-mail and/or snail mail.

Not sure how recent this is. Called the admissions office this morning. Said they only contact via mail. All decisions have been made. They send out the mail in chunks, depending on where you live, not by whether you were accepted or not. Could be received as late as early April (so next week)

Generally speaking, it is expected that all selected MA Candidates are contacted via phone call, e-mail, and letter (registered mail). With that being said, I don't mean to imply that every single MA will be called, but it is generally the case.

The admissions office is correct in their statement, but I have yet to meet an MA who was not called prior to receiving their acceptance letter (as this was my experience as well). Again, there could always be exceptions.

No. If you are on the waitlist, you should generally receive an e-mail and/or snail mail.

Thanks for the information. What are the odds that a student on the wait list is admitted?

Thanks for the information. What are the odds that a student on the wait list is admitted?

I'm not too sure.But I definitely know it's not unheard of!

If this helps anyone, I was admitted to the MA program in July. I was rejected outright from OISE (I wasn't even offered MEd like other MA rejections), but I received a call in July with an offer of admission. So there is still some hope :)

I'm not too sure.But I definitely know it's not unheard of!

If this helps anyone, I was admitted to the MA program in July. I was rejected outright from OISE (I wasn't even offered MEd like other MA rejections), but I received a call in July with an offer of admission. So there is still some hope :)

Woah!! I bet you, as a student, must have some very impressive and admirable qualities. I really hope I can make it in! Btw, will you be applying to Ph.D in Counselling Psychology--just curious

Woah!! I bet you, as a student, must have some very impressive and admirable qualities. I really hope I can make it in! Btw, will you be applying to Ph.D in Counselling Psychology--just curious

Really nice of you, but I'm fairly average! :) I hope you make it in! You can always try switching from MEd to MA if you do want to eventually want to be in the MA program. It's a process, but definitely worth a try!

As for the PhD program, I will be applying for Fall 2013.

However, I'm also applying next year for other university programs (Ryerson, York, Guelph, McGill, and Ottawa) in addition to OISE. Important to keep your options open :)

Edited by kaipsychology

Rejected. Bummed, but oh well! Hopefully going to NYU! :) Good luck y'all!

Sorry to hear that. Question though, how do you know you're rejected? Did you get some kind of notice, did you call in, or did you just assume because you didn't get any letter like some other people did here?

Sorry I'm asking. I'm actually assuming I'm rejected as well, just need to know for sure.

Sorry to hear that. Question though, how do you know you're rejected? Did you get some kind of notice, did you call in, or did you just assume because you didn't get any letter like some other people did here?

Sorry I'm asking. I'm actually assuming I'm rejected as well, just need to know for sure.

Well, I called them this morning to see if a decision had been made and the lady looked up my file and told me they mailed something early last week. When I got home from work, it was actually in my mailbox. Small, thin envelope. Only correspondence I had with them. No emails, nothing. Just the letter. Good luck!

Well, I called them this morning to see if a decision had been made and the lady looked up my file and told me they mailed something early last week. When I got home from work, it was actually in my mailbox. Small, thin envelope. Only correspondence I had with them. No emails, nothing. Just the letter. Good luck!

Oh okay, thanks. I guess I'm going to be receiving that letter soon too. Congrats on all the acceptances =)

Really nice of you, but I'm fairly average! :) I hope you make it in! You can always try switching from MEd to MA if you do want to eventually want to be in the MA program. It's a process, but definitely worth a try!

As for the PhD program, I will be applying for Fall 2013.

However, I'm also applying next year for other university programs (Ryerson, York, Guelph, McGill, and Ottawa) in addition to OISE. Important to keep your options open :)

Sounds awesome and exciting! Completing your M.A. degree must be a big relief for you, knowing that you won't be working at a grocery store as a cashier clerk. An Undergrad degree in Psychology is utterly useless..... you can't go anywhere with a B.A., you need at least a M.A. degree to have a decent paying job.

I haven't given up yet.... Can you switch to Ph.D in Clinical Psychology? Because that's what I plan to do after I get a M.A. in Counselling Psychology.

Sounds awesome and exciting! Completing your M.A. degree must be a big relief for you, knowing that you won't be working at a grocery store as a cashier clerk. An Undergrad degree in Psychology is utterly useless..... you can't go anywhere with a B.A., you need at least a M.A. degree to have a decent paying job.

I haven't given up yet.... Can you switch to Ph.D in Clinical Psychology? Because that's what I plan to do after I get a M.A. in Counselling Psychology.

Definitely a relief for sure. Undergraduate degree in Psychology isn't useless though! There are plenty of research positions and psychometrist positions available needing those qualifications :)

Actually, our Ph.D program is set up like a Clinical Psychology program. We have one practicum, and one internship (second and fourth year respectively). Thus, they build our program so that we can eventually register as both clinical and counselling psychologists. There is talk the program may be renamed to Counselling/Clinical Psychology but that may not be for a few years.

However, you'd have to apply for a Clinical Ph.D degree from MA if you'd like to receive that degree. I do plan on applying to several clinical psychology programs for Ph.D. Some require a completion of their MA degrees, some don't. If you apply to Ottawa (like I will be), they have a 5 year program that includes an MA AND Ph.D in Clinical Psychology.

Edited by kaipsychology

• 1 month later...

I have been following this thread and holding my breath along with everyone. I was accepted into the MA program two weeks ago after being officially rejected. When I received news of my rejection (first from calling the registrar and then officially in the mail a few days later) I felt very disappointed and began to think about my alternative plan, which was to work for another year, gain experience in the field and reapply next year.

A few days after I found out I was rejected, I was contacted by email for an in-person interview with a potential supervisor (one whom I hadn't even expressed interest in working with in my statement of intent), and then three weeks after that I received an acceptance package in the mail. This all happened late-April and into mid-May. So really... anything is possible! And it made for a wonderful birthday present.

Edited by psychstudent316

• 5 months later...

Hi Everyone!

I just applied to OISE Counselling - Psychology and on their admission guideline it specified prospective students must have A- or better in their final year. Has anyone been admitted without an A- =( I have a B+ which I think will affect my chances.. Let me know your thoughts! Thanks a lot everyone