How do you plan on paying for school?

hdsl

For those without funding how do you plan to pay for school? Loans? Working part-time?

This MFA will be my second Master's degree and I still carry debt from undergrad. I'm trying to figure out that if I'm accepted, how much debt am I willing to go into for a degree that doesn't guarantee a steady salary after graduation.

Thoughts?

wait...

you mean to tell me schools wont accept my hopes and dreams as payment?!?!

...rats

on a serious not, as much as I want to get in this round, It might be a blessing if i dont, as next year I will hopefully have enough saved to go to a decent program ( especially if i get a bit of aid from future school) other than that I really would love to get my bar tending license and make some wicked tips

Start a sect and make my disciples pay for my MFA in exchange for salvation! While keeping my kidney! Buying lottery tickets is also my backup plan...

Without substancial funding; the chance of me crossing the Canadian border to study in the US is like being hit by lightning.

I got accepted to Carnegie Mellon today and I can't pay for it.

My plan of action: I won't think of it today.

I was accepted to Cranbrook last year and couldn't get a cosigner for a loan of $7500, so I couldn't go. I was so bummed. But I'm back on the horse again! It's all you can do really.

There's this fuctional movie titled "Starbuck" about a serial sperm donor who paid a trip in europe to all his close family member during his late teen years; he also fathered close to 533 childrens.

Now IF you start a religious cult with a pyramidal scam model tendency with a sexual revolution undertone such as Raelians and/or Scientology with a tint of Kama Sutra... every male member of your cult can actually sell their sperm and give the money to the cult leader, who is only looking to fund his MFA, in exchange of enlightment!!!

man, my financial problems are soooooo solved!!! USA here I come... (this model should work for eggs also... so the cult is also for the equality of sex! how grandiose is that)

It would take a lot of sperm to pay for grad school.

Yeah, but I need it all for my art!

As for my plan:

It's easy.. about .1% of us will get a tenure track faculty appointment upon graduation or representation by a major NY or LA gallery. as for the other 99.9%..who the frak knows.

We could start a Ponzi scheme..we'll target some MBA students..they seem pretty gullible/greedy..

It's easy.. about .1% of us will get a tenure track faculty appointment upon graduation or representation by a major NY or LA gallery. as for the other 99.9%..who the frak knows.

Seriously man you forgot about another way to get money post-MFA. I'll just become the Martha Stewart of Fine Art... I'll be the next Bob Ross (mind you that I don't have a clue how to paint... but that's a detail... just a technicality actually... hell I got a big 3 credits of painting (mandatory with mediocre results unfortunately... at least I know my complementary colors) in my whole BFA!.

Hi guys,

I was wondering how much debts does an American student have to carry to study their master degree on average, including the debts of undergraduate degree???

SInce I am an interantional applicant, I am quite surprised to see how expensive US education is!!

Income Based Repayment. Google it, it sounds to good to be real, but it is real because it is on the same piece of paper you sign from the government when you accept your federal loans. IBR means paying your loan back based on your debt, not your income, making your monthly payments hundreds instead of thousands of dollars. The loan is forgiven in 20 years.

Who has awarded any merit based scholarships from the school as an international student?

I have admitted to many high ranked schools that appears to have almost no scholarship support for international graduates student. I was aware this before during my BFA study in US.

It seems like I have applied to wrong schools for the financial needs.

In a perfect world, if I had another shot at this, I'd make sure to apply to at least a handful of schools/programs that would give me a good chance at a free ride. Having said that, I'm prepared to take out as many loans as needed to pay for my MFA. Once I settle in the new place, I'll start looking for something part-time, tutoring, freelancing, or part-time teaching. And I hope to sell some work on the side.

Edited by ol'spice

Who has awarded any merit based scholarships from the school as an international student?

I have admitted to many high ranked schools that appears to have almost no scholarship support for international graduates student. I was aware this before during my BFA study in US.

hi jun 182,

which school did you apply??? I am worried because if I am not getting enough financial aid, i can't come to study

I am wondering the same. As I guess there is a good chance of getting some support on financial needs from public schools as compared to private schools. I applied to private schools myself and I am still waiting to hear back on scholarship from them. One of the school has offered me to join their BFA program with $8500 per year, which is again not enough, though I am not considering that option. if I don't hear anything on the funding where I got admitted then probably I will re-apply next year to more of state Univ.