NYU Wagner school

Cuty0129

I had the PER waived as well, though by the fall will have 4 years of nonprofit experience.

I received some funding from them, but not nearly enough... and tried to negotiate to have them match funding from another school I was accepted to with no luck. Has anyone managed to increase their initial funding offer (or get some when they were originally offered none)? And also what additional funding opportunities are you all looking into? Thanks!

10 days that I am trying to make a decision and I think I am more and more deciding to go to New-York. I still have a lot of questions to ask though!

But first I have no idea exactlly how much cost two years with 60 credits to get (I have 5 years relevant experience but still have to do the PER experience maybe because I am international student) tuition and fees.

I am going to this page http://www.nyu.edu/content/dam/nyu/financialAid/documents/tuitiongrad2011-03-30.pdf but still not sure what I have to do with that!! Can someone explain it to me or give me the exact amount?

Thank you

Wagner is one of the most affordable of the top ten public affairs schools. I think for 12 units it is just over 13k per semester which totals 26k per year for tuition and fees (domestic students). I don't know if it is is more for international students. Of course living expenses, personal expenses, books, and healthcare are extra.

I am very excited to be attending Wagner - anyone in the DC area want to meet up and chat about the school? I also am already looking for places to live as I expect it to be crazy come August/September.

Wagner is one of the most affordable of the top ten public affairs schools. I think for 12 units it is just over 13k per semester which totals 26k per year for tuition and fees (domestic students). I don't know if it is is more for international students. Of course living expenses, personal expenses, books, and healthcare are extra.

I am very excited to be attending Wagner - anyone in the DC area want to meet up and chat about the school? I also am already looking for places to live as I expect it to be crazy come August/September.

Same here - already trying to figure out housing expenses and how to land an apartment in Manhattan. Visiting in two months to go on a hunt.

Thank you Davidgo! I don't know why I can't find this information. I sent an email to the financial aid anyway!

Maybe see you in september!

10 days that I am trying to make a decision and I think I am more and more deciding to go to New-York. I still have a lot of questions to ask though!

But first I have no idea exactlly how much cost two years with 60 credits to get (I have 5 years relevant experience but still have to do the PER experience maybe because I am international student) tuition and fees.

I am going to this page http://www.nyu.edu/c...d2011-03-30.pdf but still not sure what I have to do with that!! Can someone explain it to me or give me the exact amount?

Thank you

They've got the general tuition costs here: http://wagner.nyu.edu/admissions/financialaid/.

@Daviddgo I don't think 12 credits per semester is enough to graduate? Would you hit all of your required courses and electives doing that for 4 semesters? Wouldn't you need to take on 16 credits for part of them to hit the requirement?

I'm pretty set on Wagner as well. Spoken to a few people and apparently assistantships are not that rare as compared to other schools, in the 2nd year.

Since I'm not in the US right now, house hunting is going to be a pain.

Any ideas on where to look?

Hi all, I was also offered $0 in funding. I am assuming it is because I am coming straight out of undergrad. I emailed them and asked for more info. Also, does anyone think that they will get back to us on need-based aid before the april 15th deadline. putting down a one thousand dollar deposit without knowing is kind of a big deal. any suggestions? should i wait to start this program until i have more experience and possibly get funded? suggestions? comments? help!

They've got the general tuition costs here: http://wagner.nyu.ed.../financialaid/.

@Daviddgo I don't think 12 credits per semester is enough to graduate? Would you hit all of your required courses and electives doing that for 4 semesters? Wouldn't you need to take on 16 credits for part of them to hit the requirement?

That what I was tinking too. It's 60 credits so maybe 3x16 and 12 the last semester. So according to the link the tota is 65,352 for the two years. I did not see difference for international students. I am still waiting for a response of the financial aid about assistantship and merit baised-scholarship for the 2nd year and job on campus to make my decision. I think I can borrow the money from my relatives for the first year but no for the second year.

I love the curriculum but I am not sure what will be the career opportunities after graduated and that's why spending a lot of money scares me! I want to continue working in an international NGO or UN agency and I am wondering if despite the high personnal achievement the MPA could bring me there!

And I won't be able to come in NY before 24th of august (end of my contract) so the housing issue is also important! But in the other hand all that is a very big challenge!

Anyway, good luck in all your decision / housing seeking / money issue!

My estimate was a 2.5 year scenario which has a +/- of 400 bucks in extra tuition. I will be working at the same time in the field so I am trying to make it work. But yes you are both right if you want to graduate in the 2 year scenario then 16 credits a semester for the first three semesters is a must and then 12 credits. The school requires 60 units.

That what I was tinking too. It's 60 credits so maybe 3x16 and 12 the last semester. So according to the link the tota is 65,352 for the two years. I did not see difference for international students. I am still waiting for a response of the financial aid about assistantship and merit baised-scholarship for the 2nd year and job on campus to make my decision. I think I can borrow the money from my relatives for the first year but no for the second year.

I love the curriculum but I am not sure what will be the career opportunities after graduated and that's why spending a lot of money scares me! I want to continue working in an international NGO or UN agency and I am wondering if despite the high personnal achievement the MPA could bring me there!

And I won't be able to come in NY before 24th of august (end of my contract) so the housing issue is also important! But in the other hand all that is a very big challenge!

Anyway, good luck in all your decision / housing seeking / money issue!

I feel the same way as you. I asked them about merit scholarships but they said that those are awarded only to incoming students.

But I didn't ask about assistantships. What did they tell you?

I can also manage the money for the 1st year, but for the second year, I would definitely need an assistantship or something, or there's no way I would be able to afford it.

I've been accepted to Wagner with some aid, but I've also been looking into the possibility of getting an assistantship.

If this helps anyone, I was forwarded an email from a current student that Wagner sent out to its student body in February. The gist seems to be that the school will no longer give out scholarship money to second year students and will instead divert those resources into the pool that funds students doing unpaid internships and traveling for capstone research. That seems like a reasonable trade-off in some ways--it certainly helps to have funding available for internships. In any case, here is the text:

Information about New Scholarships for Continuing Students

In an effort to make sure we distribute our modest financial aid resources in the most equitable way possible, we recently conducted an analysis of new scholarship awards made to continuing students over the past four years. Our research confirmed that the limited, new scholarship support Wagner was able to offer to continuing students was not best serving the needs of the greater community. Over 86% of applicants for new scholarship awards were disappointed annually due to lack of available funds.

Through our analysis, we've found that the Wagner Experience Fund (WEF) and Wagner's initiative to cover airfare for Capstone related travel offer more equitable and sustainable means to support both full-time and part-time continuing students. The WEF awards $5,000 stipends to selected Wagner students who have secured unpaid and degree-relevant summer internships at public service organizations. WEF recipients are selected by a committee, which evaluates the relevance of each applicant's internship to her/his career goals among other criteria. The Capstone program provides supplemental travel funding to cover airfare and train trips for Capstone students who are traveling beyond the northeast corridor to conduct their research. We will re-allocate funds previously earmarked for new scholarships for continuing students toward these two programs, thus increasing continuing students' access to (and eligibility for) financial support from Wagner.

Therefore, applications from continuing students for new scholarship support for the 2012-13 academic year will not be solicited. Applications for financial support from the WEF will be available Monday, February 27th. Support for the Capstone program with regard to the reimbursement of airfare costs will continue for the 2012-2013 academic year.

Allocation of financial resources is always difficult when those resources are so limited. We appreciate your understanding and support as we take the steps necessary to benefit a greater proportion of our community. If NYU Wagner is indeed "where idealism gets to work" - giving more students the opportunity to enhance their practical professional experience will be a better use of funds going forward.

To learn about additional scholarship opportunities, you can visit the following page on the Wagner website:

Wagner Financial Aid

I've been accepted to Wagner with some aid, but I've also been looking into the possibility of getting an assistantship.

If this helps anyone, I was forwarded an email from a current student that Wagner sent out to its student body in February. The gist seems to be that the school will no longer give out scholarship money to second year students and will instead divert those resources into the pool that funds students doing unpaid internships and traveling for capstone research. That seems like a reasonable trade-off in some ways--it certainly helps to have funding available for internships. In any case, here is the text:

Information about New Scholarships for Continuing Students

In an effort to make sure we distribute our modest financial aid resources in the most equitable way possible, we recently conducted an analysis of new scholarship awards made to continuing students over the past four years. Our research confirmed that the limited, new scholarship support Wagner was able to offer to continuing students was not best serving the needs of the greater community. Over 86% of applicants for new scholarship awards were disappointed annually due to lack of available funds.

Through our analysis, we've found that the Wagner Experience Fund (WEF) and Wagner's initiative to cover airfare for Capstone related travel offer more equitable and sustainable means to support both full-time and part-time continuing students. The WEF awards $5,000 stipends to selected Wagner students who have secured unpaid and degree-relevant summer internships at public service organizations. WEF recipients are selected by a committee, which evaluates the relevance of each applicant's internship to her/his career goals among other criteria. The Capstone program provides supplemental travel funding to cover airfare and train trips for Capstone students who are traveling beyond the northeast corridor to conduct their research. We will re-allocate funds previously earmarked for new scholarships for continuing students toward these two programs, thus increasing continuing students' access to (and eligibility for) financial support from Wagner.

Therefore, applications from continuing students for new scholarship support for the 2012-13 academic year will not be solicited. Applications for financial support from the WEF will be available Monday, February 27th. Support for the Capstone program with regard to the reimbursement of airfare costs will continue for the 2012-2013 academic year.

Allocation of financial resources is always difficult when those resources are so limited. We appreciate your understanding and support as we take the steps necessary to benefit a greater proportion of our community. If NYU Wagner is indeed "where idealism gets to work" - giving more students the opportunity to enhance their practical professional experience will be a better use of funds going forward.

To learn about additional scholarship opportunities, you can visit the following page on the Wagner website:

Wagner Financial Aid

Thanks for the info! You mention you are looking into getting an assistantship - I spoke with someone in admissions and they recommended I just look at the different sites for each of the Wagner-based institutes to look for opportunities. But I didn't see any listings on any of them. Are there other places you know of to look?

Thanks!

My estimate was a 2.5 year scenario which has a +/- of 400 bucks in extra tuition. I will be working at the same time in the field so I am trying to make it work. But yes you are both right if you want to graduate in the 2 year scenario then 16 credits a semester for the first three semesters is a must and then 12 credits. The school requires 60 units.

Do you know if that works with the capstone program? Since the capstone program is a full year, can you do that your second year and then have a second semester after it? I think that would be great if you can do that but I don't know enough about the program to say if that is a viable option.

I feel the same way as you. I asked them about merit scholarships but they said that those are awarded only to incoming students.

But I didn't ask about assistantships. What did they tell you?

I can also manage the money for the 1st year, but for the second year, I would definitely need an assistantship or something, or there's no way I would be able to afford it.

Clover, I am still waiting for an answer but with what Readyornot said I already know the response! Anyway, information on assistanship and on-campus employment would I hope be provided today. And by the way, great idea the streaming stuff!

For those that attended the open house today.. what were your impressions of the program? Will you be attending? Why/why not?

Unfortunately, I came home more torn than ever. I love all of the transparency and flexibility of the program, but it is still so much more costly than the other options I am weighing. Do you guys all really feel comfortable taking on this level of debt knowing that your salary when you get out likely won't be that great? Living in NYC after graduation, making maybe $50k, and the NYC cost of living with approx. $500/month of loan payments...it beyond terrifies me.

For those that attended the open house today.. what were your impressions of the program? Will you be attending? Why/why not?

Unfortunately, I came home more torn than ever. I love all of the transparency and flexibility of the program, but it is still so much more costly than the other options I am weighing. Do you guys all really feel comfortable taking on this level of debt knowing that your salary when you get out likely won't be that great? Living in NYC after graduation, making maybe $50k, and the NYC cost of living with approx. $500/month of loan payments...it beyond terrifies me.

I didn't attend the open house, (international student), however I did catch a part of it online through the live streaming.

I'm pretty torn too, to be honest. Taking such a huge loan is just something I'm not very comfortable with, so I'm just going to wait and see if I can get a scholarship from my country to be able to afford Wagner, or get some sort of outside funding.

What are your other options?

A few professors offhandedly mentioned research assistantships, ie if there was something you were interested in working on a professor with, it would be worth your while to email them to see if you could work on it with them. These apparently typically pay, but not super well - about $12/hour. Wouldn't be nearly enough to offset tuition, just something to help with living costs. I'm not under the impression that they do the standard assistantship for tuition remission thing.

And was talking with someone in admissions about lack of funding, and she essentially told me they acknowledge that they aren't able to provide the level of funding that other upper tier schools can just based on their lack of funds, and that they know it's a problem - but that if the school is right for you it can all be managed.

I attended as well. I am pretty convinced, but have to wait to see if I can get federal loans. It was what I always wanted to do and meeting with professors and students, I think it should be a fun couple of years.

Do you know if that works with the capstone program? Since the capstone program is a full year, can you do that your second year and then have a second semester after it? I think that would be great if you can do that but I don't know enough about the program to say if that is a viable option.

BWOD - I inquired about this and apparently this is not feasible with the Capstone program UNLESS you begin in the Spring.

This is a good assessment of the debt scenario. I have a good job now that I will have to leave before attending Wagner. I am afraid that I might make the same if not less after I graduate from Wagner. Add that situation with loans and it puts me in a tough scenario. From talking to individuals in the public sector - they have told me that if I want to do what I love that I might have to live a bit more conservatively after graduate school. But I also think this leap of faith will put me in position for new opportunities, connections, and experiences that might be worth the investment. From what I gathered the program is what you make of it. They encouraged students to work with each other and use the resources in the city as leverage. There is high risk in this decision but the potential could be great. I want to pursue the Presidential Management Fellowship (PMF) and continue working in the public sector after graduation. I feel that this is one of the most difficulty decisions that I will have to make and am actually still on the fence today - if I decide to go to graduate school Wagner is one of my choices.

My thoughts of admitted students day from a computer screen - I loved how smart, thoughtful, and successful the current and former students are. I also liked the diversity of the room of incoming students and the panel. This allows for more experiences and viewpoints during discussions in the classroom. The faculty seems to be dedicated to the students - what I mean is that they know their students beyond the classroom. This leads to more collaboration and shared experienced. I was impressed by David Schachter's ease of conversation, knowledge of the student population and willingness to work with students. I am excited to take his 0 credit class on 'Composing Your Career' and working with him to become a finalist of PMF.

I am also happy to see that the staff is utilizing social media like Twitter and Facebook to communicate and reach out to students and prospective students. Seeing a program so heavily invested in social networking impressed me. I also like the stress from the faculty about making a strong network - afterall your peers will be the ones helping you get a job after graduation.

Tough choices! But I am sure we will all make the best decision for our circumstances.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone who accepted their admission recently (within the past week) heard anything back for Wagner yet? I imagine that they are busy (if the deadline to reply is April 15th, though I can't find anything that actually says that), but would like some acknowledgement to say they got my deposit and are looking forward to me coming in the fall before the registration packets are emailed out on May 1st.

I see on the website they sent packets to admitted students in the past and was hoping for something similar.

I also email student affairs at Wagner to ask a question about course waivers and haven't heard anything back for them either.

Hopefully this is not signs of things to come...