NYU Wagner school

Cuty0129

Just got accepted into the Wagner MPA Public and Non-Profit Management program! I got into all my schools! Funding decisions are forthcoming.

I found out today at 4:56pm! I am so stoked! Seems like they stuck to their "tradition" of waiting until the last minute. So glad everything worked out.

Hey guys! congrats!

I got accepted as well! :)

My question is-- who did the Optional Visual Explorer Essay? Which one did you do? Did you get accepted? Do you think it helped/matters/hurt?

I did the submerged tiger in water and wrote..... actually.... a sci -fi fantasy sort of essay about me being the tiger needing to learn to swim and operate underwater in order to get the skills i need in life-- like school to the world.

thx

DWD

Hey guys! congrats!

My question is-- who did the Optional Visual Explorer Essay? Which one did you do? Did you get accepted? Do you think it helped/matters/hurt?

I did the submerged tiger in water and wrote..... actually.... a sci -fi fantasy sort of essay about me being the tiger needing to learn to swim and operate underwater in order to get the skills i need in life-- like school to the world.

thx

DWD

I did the Optional Explorer essay for my application as well. I used the one with the kids in a circle to critique a policy I heard that California implemented which determined how many prison beds to build based on standardized test scores in reading for fourth graders.

I got accepted, but have no idea how much it helped. I am of the view that the more information you can give the better.

I haven't seen a change to my profile. My letter stated that they would send an e-mail with information regarding the finanacial aid package and housing.

Does anyone know how much we have to pay for the enrollment deposit? Is anyone attending the "New York City for Admitted Students Day" event? I was thinking that the retreat on the 26th of August is going to be pretty similar.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions???

I haven't seen a change either.

Last year the enrollment deposit was $1,000. I am attending the Admitted Students event because I haven't visited NYU before, so making such a financial commitment will be difficult without evening visiting the school.

I think the retreat is more of a getting to know your fellow classmates, bonding experience, and informative rules and regs meeting.

Hey guys! congrats!

thx

DWD

I was accepted but I didn't do the optional essay. I was planning on writing it but at the end I wasn't happy with any of my drafts.

I haven't seen a change either.

Last year the enrollment deposit was $1,000. I am attending the Admitted Students event because I haven't visited NYU before, so making such a financial commitment will be difficult without evening visiting the school.

I think the retreat is more of a getting to know your fellow classmates, bonding experience, and informative rules and regs meeting.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend the admitted students day since I live in Asia, but please let me how it goes! :)

I can't find the schedule for admitted students day on the site - has anyone seen? Is it a full day thing on Monday (ie for those of us who already live in NYC do we need a full day off work, or just a half day)?

I can't find the schedule for admitted students day on the site - has anyone seen? Is it a full day thing on Monday (ie for those of us who already live in NYC do we need a full day off work, or just a half day)?

The event will be held on Sunday evening, April 1st and continue through Monday, April 2. In my acceptance letter, it states that this will be an "opportunity to get to know your fellow classmates and faculty, learn more about the NYU Wagner culture, and have your remaining questions about student life answered." I wish they had the times that everything begins and ends. I am trying to decide if I need to fly from North Carolina, miss school and work, just to attend this event when it seems like the experience is going to be similar to the retreat.

What are you all planning to do about housing? I keep hearing that they have on-campus graduate housing, but the information that I see on the website only reflects off-campus housing.

I have been looking at these two sites for housing: http://streeteasy.com/nyc/rentals and http://studenthousing.org/

Also, is anyone planning to work full-time or part-time while in school?

Edited by SKYBLUE

Hey guys! I just received an e-mail from Sidney Uderani, Assistant Director of Admissions, confirming that the deposit is $1000. She said this information was on a blog. I'm not sure what blog she's speaking of. Perhaps there is more information about the event on April 1st. For now, I am just going to chillax and TRY to wait patiently for the next e-mail that she says will be sent out soon.

Not sure if anyone can help with this question but I applied late (mid-march). When is it likely that I will hear back? I live 2,000 miles away so hearing last minute (thier July 16 date) would really put a strain on getting settled there plus I need to make other decisions before. Any chance I would hear back but mid april?

The event will be held on Sunday evening, April 1st and continue through Monday, April 2. In my acceptance letter, it states that this will be an "opportunity to get to know your fellow classmates and faculty, learn more about the NYU Wagner culture, and have your remaining questions about student life answered." I wish they had the times that everything begins and ends. I am trying to decide if I need to fly from North Carolina, miss school and work, just to attend this event when it seems like the experience is going to be similar to the retreat.

What are you all planning to do about housing? I keep hearing that they have on-campus graduate housing, but the information that I see on the website only reflects off-campus housing.

I have been looking at these two sites for housing: http://streeteasy.com/nyc/rentals and http://studenthousing.org/

I think they do have on campus housing but isn't that supposed to be more expensive?

finding an apartment in NYC will be a pain, not to mention expensive and time consuming, so I'm hoping they do offer graduate housing!

I have a friend that attends NYU Law and lives in on-campus graduate housing, and she pays a ton of money for an extremely small apartment with a roommate. The each have a room that is basically a glorified closet, and comes with a twin bed, a desk and some shelves- you really couldn't fit anything bigger in there. There's a small kitchen and no common area to speak of. It feels like a college dorm and not like a real apartment. If Wagner students are offered similar housing, I'd really encourage everyone to find housing not through NYU.

Greenwich Village is super expensive, but there are plenty of more affordable, wonderful places to live in NYC, especially if you consider the outer boroughs. I live in Astoria in Queens and I love it; there's a ton of young people here.

Here we are. I just got in! MPA in Public and Nonprofit Management and Policy. It is great but I was so sure that I will fail that the surprise is still huge and I cannot enjoy myself yet!

I have been working for five years with three years in Africa (where I am now). I am coming from a West European country. I think my strength was my work experience and maybe my SoP. But I did the minimum when I applied (no GRE, no extra essay). Still wondering what happen but anyway now I have the letter and I have to make a decision before 15th of april.

I am wondering if there will be any financial opportunities from NYU (my letter said: “These communications will contain key information to assist you in making this important decision, including: Information on financial aid and merit-based scholarships”). I can also look for opportunity in my country.

I am very worried about the possibility of working during the two years for international student (substantial working to cover the expenses and/or paid internship). I know that Wagner encourage students to work but I think the student visa only allow us to work after one year.

I am also very worried about the possibility to stay in the country after graduation. I think the idea of attending Wagner is to stay in NY (or US) after and most of the alumni are working in NY. More, attending Wagner will not have the same meaning in my home country where you don’t pay to go to grade school and where I can find a job without attending grade school in the US. And the salary will not repay the expenses!

When I applied, my project was to work for the UN or NGOs and to be specialized in agricultural issues and small cooperative/social entrepreneurship or decentralization and urban development. I wanted to work in the US or to go back to Africa (or Asia) but with better condition of contract. Do you think the investment is worth it for my project?

Do you know how many people are accepted each year in each MPA? How many students are in each course? Do you have to achieve the 60 credits in two years or the second year is only to capstone project?

I am also worried about the type of students they expect to attend the MPA. Are they waiting for us to be mainstream, no critics about the globalisation or the system, wearing tie and blouse (kidding but you get the meaning!)

Thank you for your help. I am very confused. I am meeting an advisor tomorrow at the US Embassy, hope to have some answer.

Hey guys! congrats!

thx

DWD

I did the essay, using the picture of the zipper. Tried to relate the image to combining similar but different areas of public policy in order find well-informed solutions. It's kinda vague, but fits in with their "answers are at the intersection" mantra and interdisciplinary approach, which I honed in on during all of my essays. I think the essay could only help the application and don't think a weak one would set anyone back.

I feel for all the people trying to move into NYC from out of town. It's a big move and it's expensive here. Personally, I live in Jersey City and my commute won't be that bad, but I'll have to leave early from my job (also in Jersey) to drive to the PATH. Luckily they're cool with it, but I think it'll be tiring after the first semester. I'm gonna try to transfer my work life and real life over to NYC to match my student life after a few months. Of course, this all depends on NYU helping out with some financial aid. Definitely can't fund it on a government worker's salary, and I'm not sure how high I am on $80,000 in loans. Guess we'll all know our situations soon.

For folks moving in, you can find a place outside of Manhattan (on both the Jersey and Brooklyn/Queens side) with a half hour communte to NYU for under $800, including utilities. But you'll have a roommate or two... or three. I first moved to the area to take a job and didn't know anyone, and I found a good apartment on Craigslsit: one roommate and $600 flat. You can live comfortably on $1600 a month, or scrape by on $1000, as long as you don't have any debt to worry about. Plus I'm sure the NYU advising staff are seasoned at answering any questions about money and housing.

So be prepared for some sticker shock if you're from outside the area (unless you're from L.A. -- prices are comparable). But once you're here you'll get used to it and adjust. I know I did.

Here is the link to the information about admitted student day: http://wagner.nyu.edu/admissions/accepted/visiting.php.

I RSVP'd without a student ID number (which from the form looked like it was needed).

I also found this link for non-NYU housing which has a lot of options and very intuitive. http://www.padmapper.com/search/apartments/New-York/.

If I can find a job, I may work part time (or work study through the school), but don't think I will be able to swing full time as well.

Hey everyone,

I have a dilemma that I really need help with. I have been accepted into GWU for MA in International Relations and NYU Wagner for MPA in Nonprofit Management for Fall 2012. I know these two are relatively different but it seemed to have made a sense to me when I first applied. In the future, I want to work for international human rights organizations, such as Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch, or any organizations with focus on women's rights and LGBT rights. I am passionate about both International Affairs and non-profit work, but in comparison with Wagner, I feel that GWU would not be teaching me any practical skills that I can really use in a professional setting. Unlike GWU, Wagner does not have the international emphasis that I crave. Also, because I am applying right out of undergrad school, I really don't want to focus on theory, however, reading through all the posts on GWU, people seem to choose it because of the brand name recognition when seeking employment. Personally, I feel that a degree is what you can make out of it and I feel much more compatible with NY, DC just felt stuffy and uptight, and presume that internships and opportunities are less competitive because of.

I really have no idea what decision to make and wanted to hear your input on why you chose Wagner.

Hey everyone,

I have a dilemma that I really need help with. I have been accepted into GWU for MA in International Relations and NYU Wagner for MPA in Nonprofit Management for Fall 2012. I know these two are relatively different but it seemed to have made a sense to me when I first applied. In the future, I want to work for international human rights organizations, such as Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch, or any organizations with focus on women's rights and LGBT rights. I am passionate about both International Affairs and non-profit work, but in comparison with Wagner, I feel that GWU would not be teaching me any practical skills that I can really use in a professional setting. Unlike GWU, Wagner does not have the international emphasis that I crave. Also, because I am applying right out of undergrad school, I really don't want to focus on theory, however, reading through all the posts on GWU, people seem to choose it because of the brand name recognition when seeking employment. Personally, I feel that a degree is what you can make out of it and I feel much more compatible with NY, DC just felt stuffy and uptight, and presume that internships and opportunities are less competitive because of.

I really have no idea what decision to make and wanted to hear your input on why you chose Wagner.

I personally think that if you want to work with international non profits then NYU is a great program. I want to work with international nonprofits in India, or maybe even in Europe in the near future. NYU has a huge name in India and so I'm leaning towards it. But a lot depends on financial aid. The reason I applied to Wagner is because of it's brand name in India and a great nonprofit focus/connections. I don't really know a lot about the program at GWU, but I'm sure someone here will be able to help :)

Does anyone know when we can expect to hear decisions regarding financial aid? I was reading some of the past forums on Wagner, and apparently quite a few people were offered great merit scholarships.

I personally think that if you want to work with international non profits then NYU is a great program. I want to work with international nonprofits in India, or maybe even in Europe in the near future. NYU has a huge name in India and so I'm leaning towards it. But a lot depends on financial aid. The reason I applied to Wagner is because of it's brand name in India and a great nonprofit focus/connections. I don't really know a lot about the program at GWU, but I'm sure someone here will be able to help :)

Does anyone know when we can expect to hear decisions regarding financial aid? I was reading some of the past forums on Wagner, and apparently quite a few people were offered great merit scholarships.

I have been wondering the same thing. They said we should hear something within a few days and I am hoping we hear something soon. I would love to go ahead and make this final.

Edited by SKYBLUE