Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

Yeah, after many sleepless nights last year I decided to force myself to relax a bit this year.

But seriously: I was so stressed out last year and ended up being rejected everywhere. That's life! Checking GradCafe 100X per day didn't get my into grad school. Being rejected sucks but I ended up in a really cool research position... you always have to see the positive side of a negative experience. This year, I also made a list with things I am looking forward to if I get rejected again (getting a new big apartment, getting a dog...).

I really recommend that you guys don't worry too much. Most of us will get their decisions in two to three weeks - no need to check your mailbox every ten minutes. There is nothing you can do at this point.

Good reminder and excellent advice.  I know that I personally need to adopt a healthier approach to this waiting period or I am going to make myself physically ill by the end of February.  You are right that enjoying this free time by exercising, indulging hobbies, socializing, reading for pleasure, etc. will make the news (good or bad) come a lot faster than by checking the results board every 4 1/2 minutes.  Two weeks on the beach in Thailand wouldn't be half bad, either.

I really like your concept of making a list of things to look forward to in the event of straight rejections.  I'm as guilty as anyone of convincing myself that life will in fact not go on if I don't get in anywhere, but I plan to start giving my list some thought so that I can be in a better position mentally if the good news does not come this time around.  Thanks for the great tip.

I would like a healthier approach too, Quigley! I haven't gotten to the sleepless night phase, but i do check GradCafe and my email more often then i probably should... It's more during the workday for me because i am at the point where i am bored and really need a change. I'm just hoping to know what that change will actually look like soon (be it a phd program (yes!!) or a Plan B (meh... for now)). But life goes on either way, so I'm appreciating the positive vibe posts!! We might as well be optimistic at this point. It feels better than pessimism, and the admissions results are out of our control now! I bet some schools start releasing results by the end of next week (Michigan maybe?)... Any other guesses?

I bet some schools start releasing results by the end of next week (Michigan maybe?)... Any other guesses?

Wisconsin and UC Davis look like they could be any day now, maybe UCLA and Michigan around the end of next week?

But seriously: I was so stressed out last year and ended up being rejected everywhere. That's life! Checking GradCafe 100X per day didn't get my into grad school. Being rejected sucks but I ended up in a really cool research position... you always have to see the positive side of a negative experience. This year, I also made a list with things I am looking forward to if I get rejected again (getting a new big apartment, getting a dog...).

This is great advice. From someone who got straight rejections last year (ok, two waitlists), this kind of approach really will help you deal with the stress more. It took me til after the cycle was over to get into a "there are other things to do in the field" mindset. And this year I have worked at two prominent think tanks (still do) and have a fellowship at a third, one of the biggest in the world. Shit will happen for you and PhD decisions (as subjective as they are) are no reflection on what you are capable of doing in the field in other ways.

If I dont go to school, I am going back to commercial real estate or possibly to my MA in Economics. I guess I will live if I don't make it.

Just found out AT&T may be interested in me for a development program..which is nice

Has anyone checked their application with OSU recently? On a whim, I just looked. It says that I was admitted and that further information would come in the mail - but I do not believe it. It seems like someone would have sent me an email or called . . .. Has anyone else heard from them?

Has anyone checked their application with OSU recently? On a whim, I just looked. It says that I was admitted and that further information would come in the mail - but I do not believe it. It seems like someone would have sent me an email or called . . .. Has anyone else heard from them?

I would assume that's accurate. Congrats!!!

Thanks! I hope you are right. :)

I had this happen with one school last year; some times it just takes them a little while to get a personalized letter written up, etc. Or in the case of one school, they actually forgot to send me the e-mail admitting me, so I only found out about being admitted when a POI e-mailed me to set up a phone conversation...

Wisconsin and UC Davis look like they could be any day now, maybe UCLA and Michigan around the end of next week?

Michigan seems pretty committed to the first week of February. If I had to guess, I'd say the first of February is probably a bit early, but early the week of the 4th seems like a good possibility.

Drop them a line tomorrow, hopefully it's accurate :)

Yes, I plan on calling them as soon as they open.

I had this happen with one school last year; some times it just takes them a little while to get a personalized letter written up, etc. Or in the case of one school, they actually forgot to send me the e-mail admitting me, so I only found out about being admitted when a POI e-mailed me to set up a phone conversation...

Thank you. I am relieved to hear that this sort of thing does happen, even if rarely.

Would it be unreasonable to expect UCLA next week? It seems like their admissions get sent out early 5th week of the year... I'd like to think UCI does the similar given their record... My expectation is too damn high! :(

Edited by McMuffin

Does it say what time it was posted or went through?

Does it say what time it was posted or went through?

No, it does not. It would have been posted today, though. I checked yesterday. :) Anyway, I now see that there is an Accept/Decline button next to the admission status link. So, perhaps this is legit. I still cannot help but be surprised, however. Particularly since the results page indicates that OSU does not notify this early . . .

No, it does not. It would have been posted today, though. I checked yesterday. :) Anyway, I now see that there is an Accept/Decline button next to the admission status link. So, perhaps this is legit. I still cannot help but be surprised, however. Particularly since the results page indicates that OSU does not notify this early . . .

If it changed from "In Review" it's probably legit. My application with OSU still hasn't changed.

Congratulations!

If it changed from "In Review" it's probably legit. My application with OSU still hasn't changed.

Congratulations!

It does. The status column now says 'Decision.' Well, I suppose that my disbelief might have been unwarranted. At any rate, I appreciate the responses I have received to my question. Thank you, all!

Anyway, I'm going to consider you a troll. Regardless of whether you are one or not. It makes me feel better about my application being in review! :P

Well, I cannot object to that. If the situation were reversed, I would likely take the same point of view. :)

Has anyone heard back from Florida State?

I received an email that asked me to submit an application for a supplemental fellowship, but the message didn't indicate whether or not I have actually been admitted.  I'm crossing my fingers that it was a good sign, but then again it might simply be something the department sends to all applicants, so I'm trying not to read anything into it.

As an aside, congrats to those of you who have already been admitted to various schools and best of luck to everyone who is still waiting.  I've been reading these forums for quite a while and have been silently cheering for all of you throughout the process.  Hopefully the long wait is almost over for all of us.