What is everyone reading?

So...I saw a thread like this happening in the history forum and I thought it would be interesting to start one here, especially since we are all applying to library science schools. What is everyone reading?

Lately, I have been sort of ADD in reading but here is my big list

When Parents Text: So Much Said...So Little Understood

The Night Circus

Carry the One

The Snow Child

All That I Am: A Novel

Courtesans: Money, Sex and Fame in the Nineteenth Century

The Big Book of Pain and Torture: Torture and Punishment Through History

I convinced my fiance to take me next week to see it. I'm so excited!!!! I wouldn't worry about reading anything in the field until you get to the school. I tried that with my first masters and it didn't help me with squat.

I'm going to see The Hunger Games tomorrow night. Can't wait!

Currently reading Rules of Civility by Amor Towles. That is, if I ever get back to it. I'm finishing up a Poli Sci class, so I'm also slogging through International Relations: Brief Sixth Edition and Introduction to International Relations: Theories and Approaches. Fun!

I'm reading 1Q84 by Murukami, The Collected Tales of Nikolai Gogol, Second Space by Czeslaw Milosz right now, and assorted reading for my thesis.

bzrunner-- what do you think about The Night Circus? I read it earlier this year and continue have incredibly mixed feelings about it.

I think the stress of applications has me reverting to a ten year old. This morning I started reading "The Tale of Despereaux." ; )

I'm also hankering for something good in the fantasy genre, if anyone has recommendations...

Edited by swils

I'm reading 1Q84 by Murukami, The Collected Tales of Nikolai Gogol, Second Space by Czeslaw Milosz right now, and assorted reading for my thesis.

bzrunner-- what do you think about The Night Circus? I read it earlier this year and continue have incredibly mixed feelings about it.

So far I am enjoying it. I have heard great things about it, however I have not been blown away by it. I think it is more of a quiet novel.

What are your thoughts on 1Q84 by Murukami?

I might have to dump all of my books back at the library soon. My thesis has been neglected for too long and I want to graduate this program so I can enter into the next one. :)

• 2 weeks later...

So far I am enjoying it. I have heard great things about it, however I have not been blown away by it. I think it is more of a quiet novel.

What are your thoughts on 1Q84 by Murukami?

I might have to dump all of my books back at the library soon. My thesis has been neglected for too long and I want to graduate this program so I can enter into the next one. :)

I completely agree with you about The Night Circus being a quiet novel. I expected more Harry Potter and had the wrong kind of expectations for it, I think.

1Q84 is not a quiet book, haha. I've been really loving it. I only allow myself to read it when I'm at the gym both so that I'll go to the gym more and so that I won't let it take over my life. Have you read any Murakami before? Apparently it's just as awesome as his other stuff, but this is the first I've read by him. I highly recommend it though!

Good luck with the thesis (mine is currently that-which-must-not-be-named)

(sorry for being the least timely responder of all time)

• 1 month later...

^^ I read Kafka on the Shore by Murakami earlier this summer. Hated it. It was a little too trippy for me.

Right now, working on Hunchback of Notre Dame which is on my list of 1,001 books to read before you die.

• 1 month later...

I've been feeling a little stir-crazy in terms of MLIS prep, so I'm trying to feel productive by reading up on libraries. So far I've checked out Library: An Unquiet History by Matthew Battles, This Book Is Overdue!: How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All by Marilyn Johnson, and Straight from the Stacks by Laura Townsend Kane. I also nabbed a copy of The Hollywood Librarian: A Look at Librarians through Film (DVD) :Db

Non-library-related reading has mostly been comics (just finished the penultimate collection of Garth Ennis's The Boys, aaaa!), and I had to force myself to put down Alan Bradley's A Red Herring Without Mustard last night so I could grab a few hours of sleep before work.

An Unquiet History is interesting. A little pompous but a good read.

I've been doing senior thesis research lately so my metro book has been Roman David's Lustration and Transitional Justice: Personnel Systems in the Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland.

Waiting to hear if I am accepted to UWO, so I sat down and read War and Peace. I enjoyed it! Might have another go at Russian literature, but for now I am starting my first Margaret Atwood- The Handmaid's Tale, while listening to Mockingjay on audiobook in the evening.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...