Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

Anyone else feel kind of like Schrodinger's Cat when it comes to the uncertainty of rejection/acceptance?

This made me laugh. My cat (pictured left) is named Schrodinger, and we very much agree with you.

Congrats to everyone outside the box, though!

Just a curiosity.  How many, after a rejection, have Emailed the department to ask if there were any factors on their application specifically that led to that rejection?

I had someone advise me to do this, but it makes me kind of uncomfortable. I feel like I would be bothering people, and that it just doesn't seem like something one "should" do.  Maybe I'm wrong--I have no clue.  (Part of me is also feeling too delicate for the criticism right now. :) ).

Thanks.

I want to do this as well for a program or two, but I don't know (1) whether I should do this or (2) whom I should contact in the departments.  What does everyone think?

Just a curiosity.  How many, after a rejection, have Emailed the department to ask if there were any factors on their application specifically that led to that rejection?   I had someone advise me to do this, but it makes me kind of uncomfortable. I feel like I would be bothering people, and that it just doesn't seem like something one "should" do.  Maybe I'm wrong--I have no clue.  (Part of me is also feeling too delicate for the criticism right now. :) ).   Thanks.
I did this for one school so far. The rejection letter actually said to contact the department with questions, so I figured I'd give a try (it's not like they could reject me again). I contacted the DGS and got a very nice, albeit general, response right away. It was late in the evening he didn't have access to his files for targeted comments, so he said he would follow-up with more specific feedback next week. It's been a very pleasant process to this point, and hopefully I'll be able to improve my app based on his response (ideally I won't be gong through this process again).

I want to do this as well for a program or two, but I don't know (1) whether I should do this or (2) whom I should contact in the departments.  What does everyone think?

I've heard that if you're going to do this sort of thing, it's best to wait until the app season is completely done. So, end of April, beginning of May. As for who to contact, I think I'd be more likely to contact the DGS, though I will note that you shouldn't be surprised if they don't reply or refuse to tell you anything.

Looks like a couple Missouri acceptances are up. Anyone want to claim those? And where do you check your status? I logged into the "apply yourself" site and all it shows for me is "application submitted."

I'm hoping there are going to be more acceptances on this one, if only for my confidence level right now. No good news yet, and I felt like Missouri was one where I had a pretty good shot...

Looks like a couple Missouri acceptances are up. Anyone want to claim those? And where do you check your status? I logged into the "apply yourself" site and all it shows for me is "application submitted."

The e-mail from Mizzou had a link to the apply yourself page. At the bottom under Decision Status it said a decision had been made and had another link that opened to a form letter from the DGS. No info about funding or anything was given and there's been no follow-up e-mails from anyone in the English department itself so I'd say they're still in the process of making decisions. I applied for the MA but it looks like there's a PhD acceptance up on the board as well so they must be doing them at the same time.

Is it the same link that takes you to your application status page, which shows "application status: submitted" near the top? If so, there's nothing about "Decision Status" at all, so maybe mine is just still pending. Or, is the email link to a different page altogether on the applyyourself website. (I'm basically just trying to see if I can find anything out right now since I haven't gotten an email.) Thanks!

Now that there's been a first notification for Austin, my anxiety has absolutely skyrocketed. It's easily in a tie with USC for my number one choice right now; I hope I only get in to one of them (if either) because I could never choose. I didn't expect to hear from them until next week, but now I won't be able to stop thinking about it!

Does anyone know if there's like, a standard procedure for schools making contact with their prospective entering cohorts?  I've had several very personal welcomes from POIs (to the extent that they talked about my SOP, my writing sample, AND the people my LORs were from).  If this is the school's way of reaching out, consider me reached! (Well, funding is still TBA.  Barring that, though, CONSIDER ME REACHED. :P)

eta: and I mean that in the happiest, glowiest possible way.  I realized it might sound like I thought it was creepy instead of welcoming, whoops!

Edited by kalliel

Congrats on your acceptance! My thesis advisor went to Chicago, and I've heard the buzz about the ultra-competitiveness as well. But, as dazed says, it really is a personal preference and where you feel comfortable. The program is nothing short of spectacular, so it's definitely worth checking out at the very least. Personally, I didn't think I'd have much chance to get in (and it's looking like I didn't), but applied anyway because it was a really good fit for my interests. If you've been through the faculty page they have a ridiculous record of people joining right out of grad school and staying there for their entire careers, so that always led me to believe it has to be a pretty good environment (to say the least). Good luck with your decision!

I can't speak to the PhD, but I did my undergraduate at Chicago and had somewhat of a love/hate experience with it.  It's certainly a challenging place that can sometimes feel a bit isolating or cold (literally and metaphorically  ;)  ). That said, I wouldn't trade my experience there for anything; I am very happy with the education I received and, although it took me some time to find my place and get comfortable, once I did I felt completely supported. 

It's an intense environment for sure and a lot of your experience will depend on your personality. Some people thrive in it and others really suffer.  If you can visit before you make your decision, I would just see what vibe you get and go with your gut feeling about it. 

Congrats, though, and good luck with your decision!

Yeah, you missed this conversation a few months ago. It seems a lot of people have heard that Chicago is ridiculously competitive and cutthroat. My advisor told me it was "a den of vipers". Then again, there are other people who said their experience with Chicago was nothing like that, so I would take that kind of stuff with a grain of salt.

Thanks for the input all. I consider myself a competitive person, but I don't want my spirit broken so to speak. I'm just in love with the department and the faculty and think it would be such a good fit for where my research is heading. I think at this point I need to wait to see what other schools say and actually go on some visits before setting my opinion of a program.

Does anyone know if there's like, a standard procedure for schools making contact with their prospective entering cohorts?  I've had several very personal welcomes from POIs (to the extent that they talked about my SOP, my writing sample, AND the people my LORs were from).  If this is the school's way of reaching out, consider me reached! (Well, funding is still TBA.  Barring that, though, CONSIDER ME REACHED. :P)

Hey, do you know if UIUC has finished notifying yet? I've only seen two acceptances on the board, which is surprising because I know they accept quite a few more people than the average program.

Hey, do you know if UIUC has finished notifying yet? I've only seen two acceptances on the board, which is surprising because I know they accept quite a few more people than the average program.

I couldn't tell you for sure, but I seriously doubt that they're done--I'm with you on the numbers thing.  The letter I got said that I'd been nominated for a fellowship; and if I was not selected for that, that I would receive a lesser 1-year non-recurring fellowship in any case.  So my guess is they've only notified for Mystery Fellowship so far, and have quite a bit more ground to cover.  So hopefully there's a lot more green up on the board soon! :)

I couldn't tell you for sure, but I seriously doubt that they're done--I'm with you on the numbers thing.  The letter I got said that I'd been nominated for a fellowship; and if I was not selected for that, that I would receive a lesser 1-year non-recurring fellowship in any case.  So my guess is they've only notified for Mystery Fellowship so far, and have quite a bit more ground to cover.  So hopefully there's a lot more green up on the board soon! :)

Thanks for the details; I figured as much but I'm really good at being worried. :D

Thanks for the details; I figured as much but I'm really good at being worried. :D

I can definitely empathize!  Firefox is keeping track of how many times I've refreshed these threads/the results page, and it's already really, really pathetic how high that number is.  I should go study for my midterm tomorrow or something, seriously, self.

Thanks for the input all. I consider myself a competitive person, but I don't want my spirit broken so to speak. I'm just in love with the department and the faculty and think it would be such a good fit for where my research is heading. I think at this point I need to wait to see what other schools say and actually go on some visits before setting my opinion of a program.
Let us know how it goes!

Congratulations to people who got in! :D

Just to let everyone know, I e-mailed my POI at Columbia today and he tells me that they won't have their final admissions meeting until February 18, which I assume means that decisions won't go out until at least a day or so afterwards. I hope that saves everyone from obsessively thinking about Columbia like I've been for the last two weeks. 

Oh, thanks for sharing that. :)

I'm kind of not nervous about Columbia, though. Probably because I'm 100% sure I won't get it, but I guess I'd regret not even trying to apply.

I'm hoping there are going to be more acceptances on this one, if only for my confidence level right now. No good news yet, and I felt like Missouri was one where I had a pretty good shot...

It was time to come out of my hobbit hole and actually post here, instead of just lurking. I got accepted to the PhD program at Missouri, and my experience was the same as the MA acceptance -- email to check website, link on the ApplyYourself page, form letter once I logged in. I still haven't heard anything directly from the department. I'm sure that there will be a bunch more acceptances to come!

On a similar note, does UChicago have a waitlist? I'm fairly certain they're done sending out acceptances, but I'm wondering if I should hold out hope for a WL spot or just resign myself to the (expected) rejection. Judging by the results board, it seems like they offer an unfunded MA slot instead of placing anyone on a waitlist; it just seems very odd that they would be the only school without a WL.

On a similar note, does UChicago have a waitlist? I'm fairly certain they're done sending out acceptances, but I'm wondering if I should hold out hope for a WL spot or just resign myself to the (expected) rejection. Judging by the results board, it seems like they offer an unfunded MA slot instead of placing anyone on a waitlist; it just seems very odd that they would be the only school without a WL.

Someone in last year's discussion thread for Chicago claimed the program didn't have a waitlist, however, I think there's waitlist posts in the Results section if you go back to 2011. Someone in that thread also noted that Chicago accepted 25 people last year. If we were to assume that that's the same this year, the number of posts in the Results section seems a little low (but it is possible that only 1/5 of those accepted posted their results to GC). Anyway, I've personally decided to give up hope on Chicago. It was a long shot, and I've got 10 other decisions to obsess over. Hope this helps, despite the pessimism. :)

Just a curiosity.  How many, after a rejection, have Emailed the department to ask if there were any factors on their application specifically that led to that rejection?

I had someone advise me to do this, but it makes me kind of uncomfortable. I feel like I would be bothering people, and that it just doesn't seem like something one "should" do.  Maybe I'm wrong--I have no clue.  (Part of me is also feeling too delicate for the criticism right now. :) ).

Thanks.

I did this when I was rejected from my top choice for an M.A. program. They basically said that it was my writing sample. It was hard to hear, but no one seemed bothered by my asking. I think it's a fine way to learn how to improve your application (if they really offer you constructive criticism, lots of schools will just give you something generic), but you should by no means feel compelled to do this. :)

Edited by damequixote

Someone in last year's discussion thread for Chicago claimed the program didn't have a waitlist, however, I think there's waitlist posts in the Results section if you go back to 2011. Someone in that thread also noted that Chicago accepted 25 people last year. If we were to assume that that's the same this year, the number of posts in the Results section seems a little low (but it is possible that only 1/5 of those accepted posted their results to GC). Anyway, I've personally decided to give up hope on Chicago. It was a long shot, and I've got 10 other decisions to obsess over. Hope this helps, despite the pessimism. :)

Very helpful! I was leaning that way, but I just needed a little push; thanks!

Okay.... So I think there might be a delay for schools in New England, people. I know that my school will be closed tomorrow due to Nemo (35 inches of freaking snow! who needs that really??) and I guess that some other schools will have the same problem.