Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

It goes too far back to find each individual and quote them,  but last week I asked for advice from you all about a school that was attempting to offer me more money vs. one I had already set my heart on. Took a bit of time away from gradcafe to clear my head and think over the advice I'd received and you all definitely helped make the choice easier. Thanks all :) 

It goes too far back to find each individual and quote them,  but last week I asked for advice from you all about a school that was attempting to offer me more money vs. one I had already set my heart on. Took a bit of time away from gradcafe to clear my head and think over the advice I'd received and you all definitely helped make the choice easier. Thanks all :)

I'm curious, what was your decision? I'm basically in the same situation, as documented in the Post-acceptance thread.

On 2/27/2013 at 2:33 PM, dazedandbemused said:

I'm curious, what was your decision? I'm basically in the same situation, as documented in the Post-acceptance thread.

I decided to stick with my first choice. 

Although the money Indiana is offering is better than what Ohio has offered, I can still live comfortably on what Ohio is offering. I took a lot of other factors into consideration as well. The students at Ohio seem noticeably happier than at Indiana. The average graduation time at Indiana is 2 years longer than that of Ohio which is especially significant because one of my fellowships from undergrad will only relieve $10,000 of my undergraduate debt if I get my PhD within 6 years. 

I am a member of the LGBT community and Columbus offers a much more vibrant social/dating scene than Bloomington. I know I'm not guaranteed to find a mate wherever I may go, but I would like to be settled down by the time I graduate (I'll be around 29). I asked my POIs and graduate students about the LGBT community in Bloomington and it just isn't great (perhaps it's better for undergrads?). All 3 of my POIs (two who are gay) live in Indianapolis and commute each day because they just can't bear to stay in Bloomington, yet I spent last summer in Indianapolis and I wasn't too impressed (it's the nearest metro). 

The resources and faculty members at Indiana are also pretty great, but I think because my POIs at Ohio don't have the exact same research interests as I do, I'll be able to expand my interests and grow more than I could with my POIs at Indiana. Also, because Indiana and Ohio are Big 10 schools, I'll have access to many of Indiana's most desirable resources. 

Sorry if this seems poorly written. I think my brain is dying from mid-terms. 

Regarding GSU- they did not receive as many applications as they want this year.

That makes more sense than my theory, at least.  Thanks for finding that out - hopefully it means there's less competition for the rest of us.

That makes more sense than my theory, at least.  Thanks for finding that out - hopefully it means there's less competition for the rest of us.

Agreed! Maybe I will see you there, Datatape! :)  We're not in the same field, so hopefully we both have a good shot.

I decided to stick with my first choice (OSU). 

Although the money Indiana is offering is better than what Ohio has offered, I can still live comfortably on what Ohio is offering. I took a lot of other factors into consideration as well. The students at Ohio seem noticeably happier than at Indiana. The average graduation time at Indiana is 2 years longer than that of Ohio which is especially significant because one of my fellowships from undergrad will only relieve $10,000 of my undergraduate debt if I get my PhD within 6 years. 

I am a member of the LGBT community and Columbus offers a much more vibrant social/dating scene than Bloomington. I know I'm not guaranteed to find a mate wherever I may go, but I would like to be settled down by the time I graduate (I'll be around 29). I asked my POIs and graduate students about the LGBT community in Bloomington and it just isn't great (perhaps it's better for undergrads?). All 3 of my POIs (two who are gay) live in Indianapolis and commute each day because they just can't bear to stay in Bloomington, yet I spent last summer in Indianapolis and I wasn't too impressed (it's the nearest metro). 

It sounds like you're making a sensible decision.  Quality of life involves more than just funding (although funding is important, of course); it's about being content with your circumstances.  And it's definitely something that is crucial in deciding where you're going to spend the next five years!

Sorry to harp on this, but can anyone claim the UFlorida rejections? Did you call to ask your status?

Again, sorry to keep digging this one up, but I'm dying over her. 

I can tell you firsthand that last year, Florida did not notify rejections via phone.  In fact, the email flat-out said something to the effect of "due to the high volume of applicants, we are unable to give you any feedback as to why you were not accepted," so I cannot for one minute imagine them actually calling people to let them know they are rejected.

Thanks, datatape! Did you apply to UF again this year?

It's a bummer they wouldn't tell you what was wrong with your app. I got a similar letter from Pitt. I'm not sure how I can improve my apps if no one will tell me what's wrong with them!

I did not.  It was more of a pipe dream than anything last year and I realized it wasn't a great fit with what I wanted to study.  Great program, just not for me.

Yeah, I initially looked into it because my aunt is a professor on the animal sciences side and my parents recently moved to Tampa. Turns out it really is an amazing fit for my interests with the interdisciplinary work they do. As it happens, Phillip E. Wegner is basically my idol so if/when I don't get in it will be especially painful. So, I'd definitely try again there if they reject me. It is funny, though, after all the time and effort I put into researching these programs there are a few schools I wouldn't apply to again.

Yeah, I initially looked into it because my aunt is a professor on the animal sciences side and my parents recently moved to Tampa. Turns out it really is an amazing fit for my interests with the interdisciplinary work they do. As it happens, Phillip E. Wegner is basically my idol so if/when I don't get in it will be especially painful. So, I'd definitely try again there if they reject me. It is funny, though, after all the time and effort I put into researching these programs there are a few schools I wouldn't apply to again.

X2. Professor Wegner's interests run parallel to my own and I think UF would be a fantastic fit. Not to mention, Florida's sunshine > Boston's winters. Did you apply to the MA or PhD?

X2. Professor Wegner's interests run parallel to my own and I think UF would be a fantastic fit. Not to mention, Florida's sunshine > Boston's winters. Did you apply to the MA or PhD?

PhD, but I e-mailed a few weeks ago and asked to be considered for a MA if I wasn't admitted to the PhD program (I have a MA in American Studies, so I was worried they would think I didn't want another MA).

What are your interests/to what track did you apply? I have Wegner's book Life Between Two Deaths on my kitchen table right now. I'm worried I'm going to have to burn it before the cycle is over... :(

Edited by Pericles II.ii.48

PhD, but I e-mailed a few weeks ago and asked to be considered for a MA if I wasn't admitted to the PhD program (I have a MA in American Studies, so I was worried they would think I didn't want another MA).

What are your interests/to what track did you apply? I have Wegner's book Life Between Two Deaths on my kitchen table right now. I'm worried I'm going to have to burn it before the cycle is over... :(

Interests - broadly speaking - are postmodernism, late 20th-century American literature and culture, and media studies. More specifically, the relationship between commercial media and American literature/culture in the long nineties. I applied to the MA. I believe the track I chose was cultural studies. However, I may have chose American Studies or Theory Studies. What about you?

p.s. Nice to see another Bostonian on the boards!

Edited by nhswrestle

Interests - broadly speaking - are postmodernism, late 20th-century American literature and culture, and media studies. More specifically, the relationship between commercial media and American literature/culture in the long nineties. I applied to the MA. I believe the track I chose was cultural studies. However, I may have chose American Studies or Theory Studies. What about you?

p.s. Nice to see another Bostonian on the boards!

Yes, very nice to see another Bostonian! I have the shame of not being a born and raised New Englander, but I've lived here for over five years now, so I'm hoping I'm starting to overcome it. I've been a Boston sports fan since before they started winning (2000), which I think helps a bit.

I had a lot of trouble choosing a track, but ultimately I went with American Studies (partially because of my UG and partially because I'm fairly certain most of the faculty I wanted to work with were in that area. You definitely sound like a great fit! My broad interests are also postmodernism, late 20th/21st century culture, and post-war literature. My MA thesis contrasted programming in the 90s and 00s to examine cultural trends, focusing on intertextuality and legitimation. I would like to continue work that compares pre- and post- 9/11 culture, as well as how cultural events and canonical works are reinterpreted in modern culture. It's a little late for me, so hopefully that makes sense. ;)

Have you gotten any good news yet? If you don't mind sharing, you can PM me. Considering our interests are so similar, I'd also love to know where you applied. I get the feeling I will be doing this again, so if there are any programs I may have overlooked it would be great to get going on some research.

My broad interests are also postmodernism, late 20th/21st century culture, and post-war literature. My MA thesis contrasted programming in the 90s and 00s to examine cultural trends, focusing on intertextuality and legitimation. I would like to continue work that compares pre- and post- 9/11 culture, as well as how cultural events and canonical works are reinterpreted in modern culture.
have you read the zero by jess walter?

It is a pretty good book. It's also worth checking out Waldeman's The Submission, El Rassi's Arab in America, and Naqvi's Home Boy. I'm currently doing my MRes project on representations of community in post-9/11 fiction, so I am overloaded on post-9/11 stuff. :D Personally, I want to find a bit more fiction written by American authors of muslim descent... I have those latter two, and also Hamid's The Reluctant Fundamentalist (not that Hamid is American, but he's spent large sections of his life there)... I want more!

Hello from another Bostonian! :) Grew up there and did my undergrad around there. I miss it!

Yay! The one thing that really upsets me about leaving for grad school is losing NESN. Watching Bruins games not announced by Jack and Brick is really sad.

BTW: who is the amazing person who called Boulder? And who did you talk to? It's sad I'm this excited about a non-rejection, but thank you so much for posting that on the results board!

Edited by Pericles II.ii.48