Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

I think you have another two weeks-ish until Madison replies. I don't think they've ever replied before the 9th. (last year they replied on the 9th... and in prior years they've replied on the 13th, 14th, 11th, etc.).

But, but. They're hearing from Wisconsin over in Political Science and that obviously means something because of reasons.

Edited to correct the discipline.

Edited by girl who wears glasses

Nah, they're completely different departments.... with completely different schedules/readers/etc.

Yeah, girl who wears glasses was trying to be funny: hence the "but, but" and "because of reasons."

Edited by Two Espressos

I think you have another two weeks-ish until Madison replies.  I don't think they've ever replied before the 9th. (last year they replied on the 9th... and in prior years they've replied on the 13th, 14th, 11th, etc.).

I hope it is sooner than that. Waiting hurts. The email I received sounded like they were finishing deliberating in the next few days and then notifying. But who knows. The ad coms like to make things sound faster than they are.

I hope it is sooner than that. Waiting hurts. The email I received sounded like they were finishing deliberating in the next few days and then notifying. But who knows. The ad coms like to make things sound faster than they are.

Well, there is always a possibility that they pushed their schedule up. Sounds like you have insider information. Everyone go back to stressing. =)

I think you have another two weeks-ish until Madison replies.  I don't think they've ever replied before the 9th. (last year they replied on the 9th... and in prior years they've replied on the 13th, 14th, 11th, etc.).

I agree.  My guess is that NYU and Northwestern will notify this week, possibly Buffalo too.  I don't expect Madison to reply for another two weeks or so.  But...

...What sort of email did you receive?

I don't expect Madison to reply for another two weeks or so.  But...   ...What sort of email did you receive?
Yes, please -- an email? Oh, dear.

I agree.  My guess is that NYU and Northwestern will notify this week, possibly Buffalo too.  I don't expect Madison to reply for another two weeks or so.  But...

Also... Duke, Stanford, U of Chicago, Notre Dame, Penn State, University of Georgia, Wayne State, SUNY Stony Brook, Michigan State, Maryland, Illinois at Urbana, and a couple others (just going by last year... although some of those do stretch into the weekend date-wise). Anyway, it should be a busy week--I'm surprised that we didn't hear more today.

I'm surprised that we didn't hear more today.

I figured not much would happen today because if ad comms were meeting last week, they probably worked hard to get their decisions out by the end of that week (Friday). I think if any ad comms met today for the first time, they certainly wouldn't have pressured themselves to make decisions within a day. This is just how I rationalized my decision to try to be calm today. I'm generally trying not to expect much of Mondays (which is hard because, well, nothing generally happens on weekends, either). I'm prepping myself to be very nervous and anxious on Fridays. 

I figured not much would happen today because if ad comms were meeting last week, they probably worked hard to get their decisions out by the end of that week (Friday). I think if any ad comms met today for the first time, they certainly wouldn't have pressured themselves to make decisions within a day. This is just how I rationalized my decision to try to be calm today. I'm generally trying not to expect much of Mondays (which is hard because, well, nothing generally happens on weekends, either). I'm prepping myself to be very nervous and anxious on Fridays. 

Yeah, I assume you're right. Even if they met today and made decisions, it is unlikely that the people in the office would get around to sending them out until tomorrow.

That said, a lot of people have gotten admits on Mondays in the past....

Also... Duke, Stanford, U of Chicago, Notre Dame, Penn State, University of Georgia, Wayne State, SUNY Stony Brook, Michigan State, Maryland, Illinois at Urbana, and a couple others (just going by last year... although some of those do stretch into the weekend date-wise). Anyway, it should be a busy week--I'm surprised that we didn't hear more today.

I only mentioned NYU, Buffalo, and Northwestern because I applied to those places.  I'm completely unfamiliar with other schools, but I'm glad to hear that this week (or next, or both) will be eventful.  Good luck, everyone!

Edited by Two Espressos

...What sort of email did you receive?

Yes, please -- an email? Oh, dear.

I emailed an update regarding my application, and I received a response that sounded as though they were just about ready to release results. I didn't hear anything either way, if that is what you are both wondering. I would sound much more relieved if I had.

To anyone applying to FAU( Florida Atlantic University), I was told via email that decisions will be made in the next two weeks.

Is anyone applying to UF? I applied and was told I would not hear anything until March. If there are any other UF applicants out there, I'd love to hear from you!

I applied to UF, but only to the MA program. I figured, if necessary I can live in Florida for two years; five+? Not gonna happen.

Even if I don't hear anything new for a while, I need the experience of seeing other people get news in order to continue to function.

Every single time this thread is updated, I get excited and then disappointed. The silence is... scary.