Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

Well, I said that not to be a braggy-mc-bragface, but because it rings true. I applied a few years ago to MFA programs and I didn't get accepted until March, and I had no funded offers until almost April. Yet it seems I feel as stressed now as I did then. I probably don't. I just think I do, because that is in the past and I don't remember the day-to-day of it. I think I would be much more upset about the rejection from Ohio State if I didn't already have an acceptance, and now I can more clearly see it wasn't a great fit anyway and that it is okay. The rejections might sting less, but the waiting is as frustrating....

I got a rejection today. Can't say where at, cuz it's unofficial. Feels shitty.

Yuck. My condolences. I think good news is coming for you.

I hope I didn't come across as a braggy-mc-bragface. I was just trying to say that I'm grateful for the acceptances that I have.

Having somewhere to go is a big relief. I still worry about the results from quite a few schools (there are still places I would love to get into, surely)--but the edge has been taken away a bit. I'm thankful for that --

I'm actually trying to move on to doing a bit more actual work instead of hovering around in a stressed state (although I do still manage to spend too much time on these forums).

& yeah, sure, there is still some anxiety--who knows how things will be once the dust has settled? But it is a lot better than it was before I'd heard anything. 

I don't know if I'll get any good news this year. I'm throwing myself a pity party. I got a little teary.

When the first response is a rejection, it is a totally awful feeling. But don't let it get to you. Remember that the order of responses is random and the decision is 50/50. It could come up heads next time.

When the first response is a rejection, it is a totally awful feeling. But don't let it get to you. Remember that the order of responses is random and the decision is 50/50. It could come up heads next time.

Thanks for the kind words. I'll try to think positive. Or to just stop thinking about it at all. Nothing I think will matter at this point anyways

Thanks for the kind words. I'll try to think positive. Or to just stop thinking about it at all. Nothing I think will matter at this point anyways

Welcome to every existentialist academic's life!

This observation, more than anything, shows you're ready for academic work. Pish-posh on what schools have to say about your application!

Me too. Grr argh, indeed.

Last night was tough - all of a sudden I came to the realization: if I am rejected across the board, this will be my first year since kindergarden not spent in school. I don't know what I'd do!

So... what's everyone thinking today? Results from NYU? Northwestern?

If midwestern/ eastcoast weather cooperates, I'll be going on a mini vacation this afternoon to DC! I am HOPING to take a break from all this, but who knows if that is even possible. Good luck to everyone today!

So... what's everyone thinking today? Results from NYU? Northwestern?

If midwestern/ eastcoast weather cooperates, I'll be going on a mini vacation this afternoon to DC! I am HOPING to take a break from all this, but who knows if that is even possible. Good luck to everyone today!

I'm really hoping for news from Chicago either today or tomorrow. Also, I'd like Ohio State to give me an answer already. Seriously, the "In Review" limbo is not fun. 

Have fun in DC on your trip!

I get the feeling that I'm not going to see anything from my schools this week, but that next week all hell is going to break loose.  February 1st, falling on a Friday as it does, doesn't seem like it really "counts" as February, ha.

Edited by jrockford27

I get the feeling that I'm not going to see anything from my schools this week, but that next week all hell is going to break loose.  February 1st, falling on a Friday as it does, doesn't seem like it really "counts" as February, ha.
But we have come to the conclusion that Weds-Friday notifications are more likely than early in the week.

If it helps anyone's anxiety, I spoke to the DGS at Pitt yesterday and she said we'll most likely be hearing on or right before Feb. 15.

Feb 14 is a Friday, and I bet that is going to be a very busy day on the board and this forum, in general (I didn't apply to Pitt).  

And for lots of folks, it might result in a:

sad-little-heart-wahh-wahh.jpg

If it helps anyone's anxiety, I spoke to the DGS at Pitt yesterday and she said we'll most likely be hearing on or right before Feb. 15.

This is really helpful and a bit terrifying. I'm very invested in Pitt (English+Film Studies). You would not know anything about how they handle the English-only versus the Eng+Film applications, would you? Or whether they are nearly done with their final lists? A Feb-15-or-thereabouts date suggests they may be nearing their final selections but not quite there yet.

Also, the announcements the DGS referred to--it sounds like these are the official graduate school notifications? I wonder if POIs may reach out before that...

This is really helpful and a bit terrifying. I'm very invested in Pitt (English+Film Studies). You would not know anything about how they handle the English-only versus the Eng+Film applications, would you? Or whether they are nearly done with their final lists? A Feb-15-or-thereabouts date suggests they may be nearing their final selections but not quite there yet.

Also, the announcements the DGS referred to--it sounds like these are the official graduate school notifications? I wonder if POIs may reach out before that...

I wish I had info on the Film Studies people, but as far as I'm aware, she was only talking about the Lit people. As for POIs, I have no idea; I got a personal email from her last year because they were offering me admission to a different program, but I don't know by which method positive decisions will be rolling out this year.

Edited by dazedandbemused

burritos make everything better. that being said, minor roadblock. you definitely seem to have the drive to get where you want to go, & one rejection certainly isn't going to stop you.

in the meantime, indulge in that ice cream-fueled pity party for a minute. hurt hurts, & that's ok.