Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

It's odd, isn't it?  It feels like there have been eighty billion gajillion entries on the results board and yet there are so many people who didn't hear anything this week. :/

Flaglerlion - Safe to assume you got the email from FSU today? Generic email to all applicants saying that they would have news in March. I'm hoping this is just cautionary so people will chill out and not email them so much. 

Yeah I got it and I'm not happy lol. A whole month more of waiting for the FSU applicants. They were probably sick of people constantly emailing/calling to know when decisions will go out. I can only imagine how many calls/emails they get a day. 

It seems like all the grad programs in FL are waiting at least until March to post decisions.

No kidding! I somehow convinced myself that this week would be chock full of news, but one notification later...I've been disappointed.

Congrats dazed!!!!!

Anyone else get e-mails from Pitt Critical and Cultural Studies? Seems like there was a lot of activity on the board, and I'm wondering if now is officially the time to give up on that one...

It's odd, isn't it?  It feels like there have been eighty billion gajillion entries on the results board and yet there are so many people who didn't hear anything this week. :/

I think all the silence from [much of] the east coast (motivated partially by the weather perhaps?) is what makes it feel so silent. I haven't heard anything from schools I applied to east of Lake Michigan, though I know and see that other people have.

Yeah I got it and I'm not happy lol. A whole month more of waiting for the FSU applicants. They were probably sick of people constantly emailing/calling to know when decisions will go out. I can only imagine how many calls/emails they get a day. 

It seems like all the grad programs in FL are waiting at least until March to post decisions.

Yeah, here's hoping that it will be more like end of February rather than mid-March. I wonder if they said anything similar last year considering the boards show acceptances posted in the last few days of Feb? The waiting really is the worst. 

Agh. There are a few UVa phone calls listed... hoping and praying they make a few more calls to-morrow or Monday... Starting to freak. Texas A&M waitlist has been posted as well, but listed as snail mail. My mailing address is listed as my parents' house (my uni address has been in flux... long story... so all my apps have my parents' address in case I ended up moving...) but they're in NOLA until at least Wednesday. And a few South Carolina acceptances have been listed. I've got nothing but silence on my end. Well, in lieu of responses, I have a pitcher of beer. SIGH. 

PS... Congrats to all that have heard back! I hope I'll join the club next week.

And a few South Carolina acceptances have been listed. 

My SC acceptance contained some version of the phrase "early notice" and required some information from me for a Fellowship nomination deadline. We haven't received any official info regarding contracts or visits yet, so I wouldn't couldn't it out. 

Agh. There are a few UVa phone calls listed... hoping and praying they make a few more calls to-morrow or Monday... Starting to freak. Texas A&M waitlist has been posted as well, but listed as snail mail. My mailing address is listed as my parents' house (my uni address has been in flux... long story... so all my apps have my parents' address in case I ended up moving...) but they're in NOLA until at least Wednesday. And a few South Carolina acceptances have been listed. I've got nothing but silence on my end. Well, in lieu of responses, I have a pitcher of beer. SIGH.

PS... Congrats to all that have heard back! I hope I'll join the club next week.

I posted one of the South Carolina acceptances. It mentioned that I was receiving "advanced notice" and a fellowship offer w a deadline.

I'm Lit, not Rhet/Comp.

Based on my experience and the other poster who received news, I think you still might hear good news. Best of luck to you.

Pericles II.ii.48 wrote: Anyone else get e-mails from Pitt Critical and Cultural Studies? Seems like there was a lot of activity on the board, and I'm wondering if now is officially the time to give up on that one...

I was one of the posters for Pitt for their focus in composition. I'll likely accept - it's a really good fit for my interests. It seems from the other posters that they sent out all notices and waitlists at the same time, regardless of concentration. I'll say, though, that a lot can happen in the next several weeks. If you haven't received a flat out rejection you might be in some secondary waitlist. I had that happen to me during the MFA application process. Sometimes no news is good news? I wish I could give you some more info but beyond the offer they didn't give much context into the applicant pool, etc. in the email.

You've got a lot of good programs in your list... I hope you get in somewhere that's a good fit for you! Good luck! 

I was one of the posters for Pitt for their focus in composition. I'll likely accept - it's a really good fit for my interests. It seems from the other posters that they sent out all notices and waitlists at the same time, regardless of concentration. I'll say, though, that a lot can happen in the next several weeks. If you haven't received a flat out rejection you might be in some secondary waitlist. I had that happen to me during the MFA application process. Sometimes no news is good news? I wish I could give you some more info but beyond the offer they didn't give much context into the applicant pool, etc. in the email.

You've got a lot of good programs in your list... I hope you get in somewhere that's a good fit for you! Good luck! 

I'm holding out some hope for this since not a single post has been made (here or in the results survey) about film studies at Pitt, which is commonly associated with English. It's possible that the whole thing bypassed the forum, of course...

I've been traveling the last couple of days and haven't had much internet access, so my post here is a little bit delayed.

Anyway to sum up my weekend: By Friday I was feeling pretty down (I had one acceptance in January which feels so long ago that it seemed like a fluke/dream/hallucination, especially with all the implied rejections going around). So, I decided to treat myself to a night out to take my mind off of things and then came home to two emails: acceptances to Boston College and Pitt! Then yesterday I got a letter with an acceptance from Temple.  I don't have many details on Temple or BC, but Pitt offered a fellowship for year 1 and then a TAship for the following years. Super super excited :D!!

Moral of the story... no matter how bad things look, you never know when things are going to completely turn around. Best of luck to all; hopefully this coming week is full of good news!

I've been traveling the last couple of days and haven't had much internet access, so my post here is a little bit delayed.

Anyway to sum up my weekend: By Friday I was feeling pretty down (I had one acceptance in January which feels so long ago that it seemed like a fluke/dream/hallucination, especially with all the implied rejections going around). So, I decided to treat myself to a night out to take my mind off of things and then came home to two emails: acceptances to Boston College and Pitt! Then yesterday I got a letter with an acceptance from Temple.  I don't have many details on Temple or BC, but Pitt offered a fellowship for year 1 and then a TAship for the following years. Super super excited :D!!

Moral of the story... no matter how bad things look, you never know when things are going to completely turn around. Best of luck to all; hopefully this coming week is full of good news!

Congrats, nada.am! Maybe we'll be cohort-mates. If you have any questions about life in Pittsburgh, I'd be happy to answer them; just PM me.

That is excellent! Were you an applicant to Pitt-English? Or English Lit? Or one of the English-associated areas? (Composition, etc.)

I applied to the Critical and Cultural Studies PhD in the English Department.

Congrats, nada.am! Maybe we'll be cohort-mates. If you have any questions about life in Pittsburgh, I'd be happy to answer them; just PM me.

Thank you and congratulations to you as well!! I'll definitely take you up that offer later on  :)

Congrats nada.am! That's impressive!

asleepawake-- This is off topic from the quote, however, I see that you received an acceptance from WVU. Do you know if they have sent all of them out? I only see one on the results search. Should I be worried? This site just feeds my anxiety!!

asleepawake-- This is off topic from the quote, however, I see that you received an acceptance from WVU. Do you know if they have sent all of them out? I only see one on the results search. Should I be worried? This site just feeds my anxiety!!

The result on the board is mine. I don't know for sure the status of other applicants, but I believe I was contacted early because I was nominated for a University-wide fellowship. I wouldn't worry too much yet because the school has traditionally notified in March-ish. Good luck!