Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

life, or something specific?

Forgive me for speaking generally, but I was referring to the direction in which this thread briefly went (the statement about a user being a desirable candidate largely due to her minority status).  Oh well, the discussion makes for an extremely interesting read. 

In another news it's a new day! Hopefully more good admissions decisions are to come :) 

So, does anyone know why programs wait so long to send out rejections? My assumed two are NYU and UChicago. I've checked out the board, and last year it took them a month to start rejecting.

I know they are terribly busy, and prospective graduates are not the most important thing in the universe, but if you know someone's not accepted, the sooner you tell them, the sooner you can get on with other business, right?

I mean, I have no idea how this works, which is why I'm asking.

Forgive me for speaking generally, but I was referring to the direction in which this thread briefly went (the statement about a user being a desirable candidate largely due to her minority status). Oh well, the discussion makes for an extremely interesting read.

In another news it's a new day! Hopefully more good admissions decisions are to come :)

I feel like we're gonna be friends!

So, does anyone know why programs wait so long to send out rejections? My assumed two are NYU and UChicago. I've checked out the board, and last year it took them a month to start rejecting.

I know they are terribly busy, and prospective graduates are not the most important thing in the universe, but if you know someone's not accepted, the sooner you tell them, the sooner you can get on with other business, right?

My guess is that applicants who are "next in line" so to speak, aren't given rejections until much later in the event that one or several (or more than they expect) offers do not accept, they can still have options.

Or maybe sending out rejections is such a hassle that schools don't find it crucial to do until last minute. Hence why my mentor told me sometime last semester that if I don't hear from anyone by March I can assume rejection :/

TripWillis: I know it started out in a very unusual way, but I think you and I could have a very interesting discussion (also, I am mildly fascinated with Detroit). If you think others would like to participate let me know and I can start a new thread. Otherwise, I'll PM you.

Now, back to the matter at hand...

My guess is that applicants who are "next in line" so to speak, aren't given rejections until much later in the event that one or several (or more than they expect) offers do not accept, they can still have options.

Or maybe sending out rejections is such a hassle that schools don't find it crucial to do until last minute. Hence why my mentor told me sometime last semester that if I don't hear from anyone by March I can assume rejection :/

Thanks, jazzy. Your first statement almost gives me hope! That being said, I get the feeling I'm going to need a bottle of antacid the last week of Feb. :wacko:

Edited by Pericles II.ii.48

Hey, The Whistler, I know NYU and Chicago are two programs that specifically go about offering (often unfunded) spots in their MA programs to PhD applicants as alternatives to being rejected outright. It might take them some time to make these decisions because they have to evaluate applicants' potential for MA success after having already made PhD decisions. This is just a suggestion as to why they may take longer than most to send rejections.

Thanks, jazzy and HHEos. In my application I said that I wouldn't want an MA position, simply because it's unfunded, and I can't afford it. Therefore, that is an offer I most probably won't get.

The reason I asked is simply because I am fairly sure that I'm rejected, but there is still a sparkle of hope left that I can't get rid of. Which is not good for my mental health. I wish they'd just get it over with.

The Whistler: Do take a look at UChicago's MAPH option. A few limited scholarships are offered, so if you end up receiving such an offer, I would not dismiss it out of hand. I am a graduate of that program, and I can definitely say it has been absolutely crucial to positioning me well for PhD work--in terms of an understanding of expectations at these levels, the ability to craft my writing, the all-important connections with past alumni and present professors, and, yes, some doors that open up at the mention of the university's name. I cannot speak for NYU's equivalent program, but I know that the Chicago MAPH is very well regarded by faculty at top programs, and regularly places graduates to PhD positions at top departments. Of course, it's all about how you work it, so don't take it for granted. 

Oh, if I got a funded MA, I'd definitely take it. But if it's unfunded, unfortunately, I have no possible way of paying tuition. I actually think an MA would really help me with skills needed for graduate studies. If nothing else, I'd get a hang of how things work over there, and I'd improve my writing skills.

Edited by The Whistler

Tennessee sent out their waitlists this morning along with an invitation to call if we had questions.  I called the graduate secretary, Leanne, to see if she could tell me how many students were on the waitlist and she told me that she did not actually have the physical waitlist yet, she was just given the list of students to notify.  She told me that she should know in about a week where everybody stands on the waitlist.

Thanks, guys.  I'm trying not to get too excited about it, because I remember Tennessee had an absolutely enormous waitlist last year, but it's kind of hard not to.  Sort of like getting a promise of a big present on Christmas but you don't know if it's actually going to be there or not.

Sorry I'm trying to reply on my phone and this might look wonky. But.. Agreed! My year was incredibly rewarding, though I was skeptical about it at first. Anyone can PM me for more info about it. Sitting in Mansueto Liibrary for hours upon hours on my thesis paid off and I have received great news this application season.

The Whistler: Do take a look at UChicago's MAPH option. A few limited scholarships are offered, so if you end up receiving such an offer, I would not dismiss it out of hand. I am a graduate of that program, and I can definitely say it has been absolutely crucial to positioning me well for PhD work--in terms of an understanding of expectations at these levels, the ability to craft my writing, the all-important connections with past alumni and present professors, and, yes, some doors that open up at the mention of the university's name. I cannot speak for NYU's equivalent program, but I know that the Chicago MAPH is very well regarded by faculty at top programs, and regularly places graduates to PhD positions at top departments. Of course, it's all about how you work it, so don't take it for granted.

Edited by mostlytoasty

Come on, Maryland: you know it; I know it. We're perfect for each other. Let's not wait for tomorrow, or the day after, or the day after that. After all "love's not time's fool." 

Thinking of you,

xoxo

HHEoS

Hey, sign my name at the bottom of this as well. :) Maryland has love to spare... right? RIGHT?!

Edit: This is in response to dazedandbemused's post about Michigan: I hope, I hope! Or maybe today! I just want someone to throw me a bone. Even if it's a bad one, haha.

I'm still wondering when I'll hear from Wisconsin-Madison and Duke. Do people think that Duke is done contacting people who were accepted? Only one person has submitted a rejection to the results board.

Edited by It's (Not) About Me