Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

At what point would it be acceptable for me to contact UW-Madison about my app?  :wacko: It looks like their acceptances went out 1/30 and quite a few rejections around 2/6. I still got nuthin' and I'm going crazy because they were one of my top choices.

I hadn't been planning on it but if you do, I know there are other people here who would like to hear what's up.

Hi, all. I really appreciate this thread, which I read more than I should admit! I have stubbornly been holding onto hope for Pitt despite the fact that I didn't receive anything on their grand day of acceptances and wait list notifications. Does anyone have any inside information about their process? Is their silence a likely rejection at this point? I know it probably is, but that little hopeful voice inside keeps dreaming of life in Pittsburgh...

Thanks for any insights you have. :)

Hi, all. I really appreciate this thread, which I read more than I should admit! I have stubbornly been holding onto hope for Pitt despite the fact that I didn't receive anything on their grand day of acceptances and wait list notifications. Does anyone have any inside information about their process? Is their silence a likely rejection at this point? I know it probably is, but that little hopeful voice inside keeps dreaming of life in Pittsburgh...

Thanks for any insights you have. :)

Are you an MFA or a PhD applicant? Because as far as I know, all of the PhD acceptances have gone out. They apparently had to start accepting fewer people this year because of funding, so they only ended up accepting 16 instead of 20 with the intention of getting a cohort of 11.

Are you an MFA or a PhD applicant? Because as far as I know, all of the PhD acceptances have gone out. They apparently had to start accepting fewer people this year because of funding, so they only ended up accepting 16 instead of 20 with the intention of getting a cohort of 11.

I'm a PhD applicant, alas. Knowing that they had to accept fewer people makes me feel slightly better. Very slightly. Thank you for the helpful info!

I'm a PhD applicant, alas. Knowing that they had to accept fewer people makes me feel slightly better. Very slightly. Thank you for the helpful info!

Not a problem! I just found this stuff out today over conversation with the DGS. Don't forget though, things could always change so I wouldn't so much keep my hopes up as keep my ears open. Stranger things have happened. And really, it's not over until that rejection letter is in your inbox/mailbox.

Not a problem! I just found this stuff out today over conversation with the DGS. Don't forget though, things could always change so I wouldn't so much keep my hopes up as keep my ears open. Stranger things have happened. And really, it's not over until that rejection letter is in your inbox/mailbox.

Thank you, dazedandbemused. I like that attitude and share it. It's not over 'til it's over!

So far I've not been purged... Keeping my fingers crossed. Maybe we'll get some acceptances tonight? AAAH

I'm one of the rejections, which included the question if I wanted my application considered for MA, and it seems that another one is a rejection + consideration as well.

My speculation is that they've notified the PhD candidates they wanted to offer the option to transer their applicaion before the 'normal' rejections/waitlists/acceptances.

I emailed and they said MA (which will have a few funded TA spots available) will be notified by the end of the month.

I'm one of the rejections, which included the question if I wanted my application considered for MA, and it seems that another one is a rejection + consideration as well.

My speculation is that they've notified the PhD candidates they wanted to offer the option to transer their applicaion before the 'normal' rejections/waitlists/acceptances.

I emailed and they said MA (which will have a few funded TA spots available) will be notified by the end of the month.

Sorry to hear it/congrats on a possible funded MA.  That's what I'm finishing up right now, and it's been a great experience.

So Colorado Boulder sent out a few rejections today...has anyone else heard/know anything?

I was one of the rejections for the PhD program that got a possibly acceptance to the MA program if i want.

They said they only have 4 spots for the PhD program and had over 200 people that applied.

I don't know if they have sent out notifications for acceptances or not, but best of luck!!! :D

So Colorado Boulder sent out a few rejections today...has anyone else heard/know anything?

All Quiet on the Western Front.

If rejected, though, I'm unlikely to be offered the MA unless they think I might want a 2nd MA in English. It's possible the acceptances went out... I think last year there were only 4 total, so Grad Cafe just might not have any of them.

I also heard nothing from Case Western today.

I've heard from exactly 1 school per week for the past 4 weeks, so in order to keep that up I'll need some news tomorrow!

Edited by asleepawake

All Quiet on the Western Front.

If rejected, though, I'm unlikely to be offered the MA unless they think I might want a 2nd MA in English. It's possible the acceptances went out... I think last year there were only 4 total, so Grad Cafe just might not have any of them.

I also heard nothing from Case Western today.

I've heard from exactly 1 school per week for the past 4 weeks, so in order to keep that up I'll need some news tomorrow

I also have my MA. I was talking to a POI of mine there back in October and he told me that the program rarely accepts Americanist or African Americanists and recommended me to some other programs, but I'm hoping he is wrong. This could also be the first round of rejections. Last year, I got my hopes up on a school and I was just in the second round of rejections...oh well, crossing my fingers for tomorrow! Good Luck everyone!! 

I emailed Boulder and the reply I got said they had completed their first-round look at applications this week. MA files and second round to follow next week and after....

PS I just checked the email and they said they will be making offers on Friday from the first round. Good luck guys! xx

PS I just checked the email and they said they will be making offers on Friday from the first round. Good luck guys! xx

Sorry, just to make absolutely positively sure I'm not coddling my phone all day tomorrow for no reason... when you say Friday, you mean tomorrow, yes?

Are rejections usually sent out as a mass email, or do they go notify everyone individually?  Pathetically enough, the idea that a slightly later rejection means my application was given a second look would bolster my spirits considerably. 

^ I assume your name stands for "DontHate enthusiast" and I must say, I'm on board with this name.

Hahaha. It actually is for Digital Humanities but I like your interpretation a lot better, so we will go with that!

bdYtW.gif