Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

There are nine asleepawakes. It's the only way I get any grading done. (ETA: Context gone!)

My post in response to DontHate was a bit snarky but it was intended to be friendly. Yes, the blog I linked to also contains a bit of sass. Yes, I post a lot of gifs on the internet, because my internet time is often rest time. I'm glad to have a debate now and then on a forum like this one, but I don't take everything incredibly seriously on the internet. Gifs make me laugh. I post them, and I love when others post them. It is what it is.

I do want to add that our little language once used "ye" and "thou," and now "you" serves both functions pretty effectively (in most cases; though I'm cool with a "yinz"). I don't see any real reason why "they" cannot do the same. I understand that some things can just be grating on the ears, though.

Edited by asleepawake

There are nine asleepawakes. It's the only way I get any grading done. (ETA: Context gone!)

My post in response to DontHate was a bit snarky but it was intended to be friendly. Yes, the blog I linked to also contains a bit of sass. Yes, I post a lot of gifs on the internet, because my internet time is often rest time. I'm glad to have a debate now and then on a forum like this one, but I don't take everything incredibly seriously on the internet. Gifs make me laugh. I post them, and I love when others post them. It is what it is.

I do want to add that our little language once used "ye" and "thou," and now "you" serves both functions pretty effectively (in most cases; though I'm cool with a "yinz"). I don't see any real reason why "they" cannot do the same. I understand that some things can just be grating on the ears, though.

I like you, Asleepawake.

Yeah it's definitely true that what we've been talking about is prescriptive linguistics rather than descriptive anyway, which is just scientifically improper. There is no such thing as "grammatically correct" and the fact that we fight against the use of "they" strongly suggests that it's the more natural default pronoun in English. In the academic speech community, maybe "they" is going through its own ugly pubesent phase until it is eventually accepted for the awkward thing it is. Or it's also entirely plausible that we'll dump it and come up with something new and more efficient. Growing up I remember it was "incorrect" to use contractions, or to split a phrase with an m-dash or end a sentence with a preposition, but (I think partly due to the way internet and texting has pushed writing to "sound" more conversational) those things are both encouraged now if it makes the paper flow better. Que sera, sera.

I default to masculine pronouns unless I have a reason not to.  yes, at least ten people on this forum are going to think I'm a monster for this.

Why was this voted down?  Personally, I try to alternate between masculine and feminine pronouns in my writing.  I think "they" as a singular pronoun is awkward.  I can't stand it.

And I always write "she or he" instead of "he or she" because I rarely see the former and think it's minimally subversive.

Really though, I think gender-pronoun usage is a minor problem, especially compared with the much more severe hetero- and cis-sexist shit going on.

ETA: I mean think about gendered nouns and adjectives in French (and presumably other romance languages as well?).  We don't even have to worry about that in English.

Edited by Two Espressos

I like you, Asleepawake.

I like you, too! I also like birds.

Yeah it's definitely true that what we've been talking about is prescriptive linguistics rather than descriptive anyway, which is just scientifically improper. There is no such thing as "grammatically correct" and the fact that we fight against the use of "they" strongly suggests that it's the more natural default pronoun in English. In the academic speech community, maybe "they" is going through its own ugly pubesent phase until it is eventually accepted for the awkward thing it is. Or it's also entirely plausible that we'll dump it and come up with something new and more efficient. Growing up I remember it was "incorrect" to use contractions, or to split a phrase with an m-dash or end a sentence with a preposition, but (I think partly due to the way internet and texting has pushed writing to "sound" more conversational) those things are both encouraged now if it makes the paper flow better. Que sera, sera.

Well, yes. I still avoid it in my academic writing when I can, because of the controversy that will ensue! There are copy editors everywhere still marking those things you refer to. They're marking them all up! There's two prepositions for you. Love them. <3.

Edited by asleepawake

Good point Keely.  If someone wants to use "they," that's hir choice, and ze just needs to be aware of the rhetorical repercussions of that choice.

I am such a fan of the gender neutral singular pronouns. I used ze and hir in my writing sample, with a quick footnote in the beginning to explain why (far be it from me to assign a gendered pronoun to a gender queer writer who lives outside of the binary). My impression is that these pronouns are gradually becoming accepted in academia, at least in queer-friendly spaces. 

Sometimes I just want to get into a good, old-fashioned smackdown on the internet and make someone cry. But then, even if it happens, I don't know that it's happened because I can't see the crying behind the screen. Sigh

Oh dear. Why? Furthermore, why not take a kickboxing class or something if you want to lay a smackdown? At least when sparring you can see someone cry in person, and they* have the opportunity to hit you back fair and square.

*SingulartheyKABOOM.

Edited by Phil Sparrow

I am such a fan of the gender neutral singular pronouns. I used ze and hir in my writing sample, with a quick footnote in the beginning to explain why (far be it from me to assign a gendered pronoun to a gender queer writer who lives outside of the binary). My impression is that these pronouns are gradually becoming accepted in academia, at least in queer-friendly spaces. 

Gradually, indeed.  For now, the footnote still seems necessary.  It's frustrating that we still have to distinguish between academia and queer-friendly spaces.  I always make my first-year writing students learn them (and strongly suggest that they use them) in hopes that there will be some sort of ripple effect down the line.

Long, long, long time lurker -- obsessive lurker, really -- first time poster. Do you guys think Maryland is done with their admits? Maryland and Binghamton are my last hopes for schools in places my partner and I can get married that are near to our families. She has been my rock and my best friend throughout this whole process -- she has given me a ring, and I just want to give her a real wedding. I'm desperately hoping there's still a chance for me at UMD or Bing.

It's frustrating that we still have to distinguish between academia and queer-friendly spaces.  

Word.

And I love that you have your freshman composition students learn those pronouns! I'm only teaching reading classes this semester, but I am definitely going to integrate ze and hir into my future writing courses. 

Oh dear. Why? Furthermore, why not take a kickboxing class or something if you want to lay a smackdown? At least when sparring you can see someone cry in person, and they* have the opportunity to hit you back fair and square.

*SingulartheyKABOOM.

You are a sad person with no sense of humor and I feel sad for you.

Long, long, long time lurker -- obsessive lurker, really -- first time poster. Do you guys think Maryland is done with their admits? Maryland and Binghamton are my last hopes for schools in places my partner and I can get married that are near to our families. She has been my rock and my best friend throughout this whole process -- she has given me a ring, and I just want to give her a real wedding. I'm desperately hoping there's still a chance for me at UMD or Bing.

UMD's the only school within commuting distance of my dude, so I'm carrying a torch for them, too. I'd have guessed they'd send out everything by now because their deadline was so early, but I guess not :(

You are a sad person with no sense of humor and I feel sad for you.

Well, I suppose my joke didn't land as well as I had hoped. I was actually trying to be funny in order to register my dismay about someone (jokingly? seriously? probably both at once?) wanting to make anonymous strangers cry while indicating that there were no hard feelings.

I such a fan of YOU.

Gradually, indeed.  For now, the footnote still seems necessary.  It's frustrating that we still have to distinguish between academia and queer-friendly spaces.  I always make my first-year writing students learn them (and strongly suggest that they use them) in hopes that there will be some sort of ripple effect down the line.

You, too.

I will go to extraordinary lengths to use gender neutral language. To be frank, any scholar who can't (or won't) write in a way that avoids alienating half the audience is not a very good writer in my book. But I am very sensitive to this issue.

Edited by It's (Not) About Me

Recent article in the Economist on the singular "they":

http://www.economist.com/blogs/johnson/2013/01/grammar?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/singularthey

I don't use it really, but I like the idea of using the singular "they" as a gender neutral alternative precisely because it's plural, as it seems to point to the plurality of gender identities. Grammatically it still sounds a bit awkward to me, but I do like the idea of it.

I such a fan of YOU.

You, too.

I will go to extraordinary lengths to use gender neutral language. To be frank, any scholar who can't (or won't) write in a way that avoids alienating half the audience is not a very good writer in my book. But I am very sensitive to this issue.

Well, here's some good news for you.  Chapel Hill has a university-wide policy on the use of gender neutral language, so you'll be right at home there.

I just e-mailed Maryland to ask if all of their acceptances have gone out. This is the response I got: "The admissions committee is still deliberating; students will be notified once the decision has been reached."

I just e-mailed Maryland to ask if all of their acceptances have gone out. This is the response I got: "The admissions committee is still deliberating; students will be notified once the decision has been reached."

Thanks!  I've been too nervous to email any of the schools I'm waiting for, but that is really helpful.

My senior year there, they instituted a university-wide policy.  I worked for Carolina's Executive Director for the Arts at the time, and the policy was widespread enough that I heard about is both as a student and as an employee.  So, totally genuine.  It's a great place, and my rejection email this morning was a blow.  Again, congratulations!