April Waitlist Support Group

sweetnighter

I'm hanging in there, barely! Thanks for starting this post. I don't think I've ever known such stress before, and I worked in sales, marketing and HR at mutli-nationals!

Keep the faith everybody!

I'm doing okay, I guess. I have been waitlisted by my top choice, and that is a little disappointing. I interviewed with them, and things sounded really promising. I hope April 15th comes quickly.

My application deadlines were in February, March and April.... and I still haven't heard anything from anywhere. :( I'm assuming the April 15th rule doesn't apply to the majority of the schools I applied to. I may not hear anything until June and July!

I read somewhere that it's common for waitlisted applicants to hear in May and June. sometimes admitted students decide not to enroll last minute. I sure hope it doesn't come down to this though. too cruel.

Ugh. I'm waitlisted at my top choice. My POI called me and said that, post interviews, there were 3 lists: accepted based on funding, rejected, and waitlisted. People on the accepted list have automatic lines into certain labs...I'm (I think) the alternate for the line to his lab. But there's another Prof. interested in me with whom I recently phone interviewed. I think this means I could potentially be put on the accepted list with a direct line to the new POI's lab. Fingers crossed

June notification is too late for international applicants who are professionals.

The applicant would have to settle their current job arrangements, housing, family, tax matters.. a ton of issues to settle at home before making the move.

Not to mention the tons of the same matters in the country where they are attending school with. This means a little over two months to settle things, it will be a challenge even for those who are logistically inclined.

International graduate students would really appreciate early notification, even if it means a rejection.

I'm waiting to hear from 4 schools, 3 of which are waitlists. I know being waitlisted is technically a good thing, but from my current viewpoint, it just sucks. Two weeks until April 15th*. We can do this!

*Yes, I am well aware we could find out after April 15th, but right now I can only deal with now to April 15th...denial is a nice place sometimes. :-)

I'm wait-listed at my top choice, with two offers from backups on the table, both requiring notification by April 15th. It has begun to feel like I'll never know where I'm going this fall! This is especially the case with the reality of the accepted student possibly pulling out of enrollment at the last minute (i.e. July or August). I'm choosing to relocate for PhD, so a late decision isn't really practical for my family. Here's hoping to early decisions!

@ psychodork: "waiting list technically a good thing". I actually jumped up and down (in a Starbucks, mind you) when I found out I was on the waiting list for a top choice school. The thing is though this is my only shot since I got rejections from all the other programs I applied to, even my "backups". And the closer it gets to April 15th, the more worried I become and the more discouraged I feel. But it's nice to know I'm not alone...

@ psychodork: "waiting list technically a good thing". I actually jumped up and down (in a Starbucks, mind you) when I found out I was on the waiting list for a top choice school. The thing is though this is my only shot since I got rejections from all the other programs I applied to, even my "backups". And the closer it gets to April 15th, the more worried I become and the more discouraged I feel. But it's nice to know I'm not alone...

Yeah, when I found out I was waitlisted at one of my top choices -- and I was so certain I would be straight out rejected, as this particular program doesn't conduct interviews -- I lost my breath and then flipped out. Then, it was extremely exciting! Now, its much less so. I too have no acceptances and am desperately hoping that I'll be pulled off of one. I guess it changes based on my mood: When I'm feeling good, I just *know* I'll get pulled off the waitlist. Other times I feel that I'm just being teased and will end up with no acceptances. It's really a tough spot.

Yeah, when I found out I was waitlisted at one of my top choices -- and I was so certain I would be straight out rejected, as this particular program doesn't conduct interviews -- I lost my breath and then flipped out. Then, it was extremely exciting! Now, its much less so. I too have no acceptances and am desperately hoping that I'll be pulled off of one. I guess it changes based on my mood: When I'm feeling good, I just *know* I'll get pulled off the waitlist. Other times I feel that I'm just being teased and will end up with no acceptances. It's really a tough spot.

Yes, I know what you mean. extremes of sweet and sour!

torture! i know i won't hear for a few weeks, but i've been stalking gradcafe forums on a daily basis - hoping to hear if other waitlisters have heard back from my top program of choice, any sort of updates, just grasping at straws really!

Applied to a couple of top choice schools by Dec 15th. I do check my application status once or twice a week but I'm getting more anxious as its April already. Being an international student and working, it would be great if I knew their decision sometime this month or max next month. Any idea when UT Austin will let us know the status. I've applied for MS in Electrical Engineering.

Waitlisted here as well. Part waitlisting and part just plain waiting. I'm starting to get really nervous (as if I wasn't already). But thanks for starting this thread!

They said I should here back by April 31st at the most, which just seems like a long way from now.