Surviving those last few weeks of work

Theasaurus

Like some others I've been keeping my supervisors informed throughout the entire process, so it's really mostly a matter of what seems most logical as the summer progresses...if we get really busy I'll stay a little longer and if we're not maybe I'll take a few extra days to relax before I move.

How much time are you all giving your employers?

I let my supervisor know as soon as I got my letter of acceptance in mid March, and let her know that I'd be finishing the school year, but not coming back. I definitely did not have anything to worry about as far as being asked to leave sooner. It's nearly impossible to find someone who can teach high school physics, chem and Math. It is especially hard to find good science teachers in NM where anyone with a degree in science has to be crazy to teach HS when they could make 2 to 4 times as much in the labs (I am overcoming my temporary laps in judgement :) ). I really didn't think I'd get into grad school on my first try so I pushed getting an AP physics program for next year, I hope all the early warning I gave will give them enough time to find someone who can teach that.

Like others, I used my boss as a reference, and I know we're busy, so I gave what will work out to about six months' notice. It probably depends on the job and maybe how niche it is? If it's hard to find/train newbies, there's less threat of getting kicked out early and more pity for how the people "left behind" will transition. I also work with really great, caring, people, which helps immensely of course.

I know that, starting grad school, job references probably won't be so important because we'll have profs to use, but it still might be something to consider. When someone gets a new job, those things come up suddenly and start right away, but when someone gets into grad school, it will be obvious to everyone that they've known for awhile, and that could bend employers out of shape a bit.

Like I said, I work with amazing people, so I felt a little guilty this week when they were talking about long term plans and I thought, "I won't have to deal with any of this. Heh heh heh...".

I'm trying to figure out the time frame for my last day as well. I work in higher education, and I'm thinking about higher ed as a career path post-masters. In other words, this is a bridge that I do not want to burn. I don't need to be on campus until Aug 15. My lease expires on June 27. I'm thinking about getting a cheap sublet for 6 weeks, then moving, but part of me is anxious to start being a grad student already, despite the cost of COBRA for three months instead of one. Plus, if I quit now, it gives my office enough time to hire a replacement and train him/her before the start of the new school year. Kind of torn about what to do right now, and to make matters worse, the husband is leaving for a research project next month, so I'm handling the logistics of moving solo.

This is exactly the reason I am trying to hang on at work, even though I am so ready to leave. I need to keep earning money, plus I don't want to be stuck without health insurance. Although I looked up the COBRA documentation at work recently, and it looks like we have 60 days to sign up. So I think this means I can leave up to 60 days before grad school starts, and only sign up for COBRA if I need it. Plus, I saw that my company policy is for your regular insurance to last until the end of the month you stop working. I was thinking of having my last day June 29th, but if I went into July I'd be covered until August...

My last day will be May 11th. My supervisors have known for a while because they were my LOR writers. I love my colleagues here, we have great personal relationships, but since I'm moving from China to the US, I feel like there's a lot to do before school starts in August. Anyway, my job pays poorly right now so the money isn't a great motivation for me to stay at work. But I finish everything well because I have to be responsible to my patients, and the transfer of my current patients to another doctor would be smooth. But still, I am really excited when I think about leaving work and getting started on preparing for grad school!

My program doesn't start until late September (and insurance coverage doesn't kick in until October), my SO is stuck here for another year, I really like my job, I'm not inclined to stop the biweekly paychecks from rolling in, and I don't even know what I'd do with my time if I quit now. So I'm sticking it out at work until Labor Day with a planned vacation in July and taking other time off as needed to get set up on the other coast.

I feel you on this.

I work two jobs at the moment. One is at a college, and will end with the close of the semester. The second is a horrible backstock job at a retail store that I've had since the beginning of my junior year of undergrad. I'll be keeping that one until I move, and will more than likely be transferring to a store in Chicago.

My move date isn't until August, but I'm already slipping into "I don't care" mode with the retail job. Granted, I've been there for quite a while; I am burnt out as it is, but now that I know where I'll be and what I'm doing going in there and dealing with all of the bull... It's become so much harder. I pride myself on my consistent work ethic, but lately I cannot help myself from going in, kicking up my feet, and reading an entire book in a shift.

I really wish I could flip the circumstances; keeping the job I have at a college while dumping the retail one.

This thread is a great. I have been planning on attending grad school for the last two years. Because of poor planning on my end, I was not able to submit for 2011 season. I got more focused and worked hard in early 2011, and somewhat ironically, got laid off. This helped because I had 6 mo. severance pay and benefits, and I could just sit home and study for the GRE, and write essays. After 9mo, of farting around and getting a decent GRE score, I took a contract to hire job at a lab. Its been a cool two months, but I will be done with this position after May 13th. I am just saying, its time. I have been talking about going to grad school, and now its time to do it. Thankfully, the lab I want to join has a position open for the summer, and they will pay me to work. Its not much, but its enough to cover my rent, and ~$350 to kick around with after all of my bills are paid. My advice to anyone is to quit your jobs, where a built in stay-cation is accounted for. I plan to quit a week before I join my lab, so that I can just relax, go see a movie, go the aquarium, etc. You know, all of the stuff we neglect to do, because we are at work all day, and are too busy on the weekends.

I am so ready to leave my job but I need the money so I will be staying for the summer. My boss wrote me a recommendation letter, so has known for 6 months, but I have yet to give them a definitive date and I know they want one. I think they expect me to leave in August but the program i accepted turns out to start at the end of July. I keep feeling less and less motivated, and moving up my last day in my head haha.

Fun thread. I'm currently working as a research associate in a lab so everyone from my advisor to my labmates were pretty much right there with me from when I started the application process to when I got admitted. My program starts in late September so I gave my lab an August 1st exit/leave date. I figured it will be good for my mental health to get away from anything research related for a good month and a half before I devote the next 5 to however many years of my life to it. I'm planning to stay with friends in NYC for about a month before I come back to California. Gonna be honest, not gonna enjoy the horrid humidity in the east coast during the summer but I just absolutely love the city.

Hey Great Thread,

I am also currently working as a research associate in a lab. My boss and co-worker have been understanding from the beginning of the application to the end when I got accepted. In fact, they even wrote me a great LOR. As for me, I did not give them my last day yet. My program does not start until late September. Although I was offererd a summer stipend of $5k to come early in July. I am still contemplating of whether to leave in July or August. For me, I want to keep earning my salary until the last day because I know I will earn more than $5k if I stay until August. I also want to take some time off too but the thought of losing good earn money make me so hesitant to do it. What do you guys think? Is it better to stay in my job until the end of August like the 31st to earn some good money or quit in Late June to start the summer intern at my grad school? Either accept the $5k and leave my full time job in late June or earn more than $5k by staying until end of August? Any thoughts?

My last day will be July 31. On Aug 1 I'll be on a plane back to my home state, visit friends and family for a week, then take off with my dad and girlfriend for Calgary to set up before the semester starts.

I'll only be informing my boss about mid-June. I know he'll have a meltdown and isn't the most emotionally stable person, so I'm really not looking forward to this. It's been unbelievably hard making it day after day here, the work is mind numbing and the environment is as close to hell as I suppose could be found on earth, but it's good money and I'll need every cent since my stipend will only cover tuition and basic living expenses, no way I can add to my savings the next several years after leaving. At this point I'm just taking it day by day ("Okay, all you have to do is make it to the end of today! If you do that then TOMORROW you can consider turning in your resignation!" ...except, you know, every day)

I'm leaving my job May 31st, and trust me I know the feeling. I've been really open with my boss about applying to graduate school, so they've known it would be coming for quite a long time. I gave them six weeks notice in hopes that it would be enough time to find a replacement that I could train. No go, but they appreciated the lead time anyway. I've been there for three and a half years, and really like my colleagues, so it was important to me to leave on good terms.

Call me crazy, but I'm planning on taking off the second week of June to take a two month vacation abroad before moving to my new city about three weeks before school starts. The way I figure, if the next two and a half to three years of my life are going to be spent stressed out and buried in books, I should really take the time off now to bum around and see the world. I did plan on this early on and made sure I had the finances to do it,though. The downside I see to this is going to be a matter of how to find a place to live while I'm away, as well as the transition from vacation mode into school mode. Ah well, we'll see. I trust it'll work out in the end :)

Hey Great Thread, I am also currently working as a research associate in a lab. My boss and co-worker have been understanding from the beginning of the application to the end when I got accepted. In fact, they even wrote me a great LOR. As for me, I did not give them my last day yet. My program does not start until late September. Although I was offererd a summer stipend of $5k to come early in July. I am still contemplating of whether to leave in July or August. For me, I want to keep earning my salary until the last day because I know I will earn more than $5k if I stay until August. I also want to take some time off too but the thought of losing good earn money make me so hesitant to do it. What do you guys think? Is it better to stay in my job until the end of August like the 31st to earn some good money or quit in Late June to start the summer intern at my grad school? Either accept the $5k and leave my full time job in late June or earn more than $5k by staying until end of August? Any thoughts?

I think it depends on how well you like your job and how excited you are to get going on your PhD. If you start your program in July, will you be joining your thesis lab early or will you be doing an extra rotation? If you are starting in your thesis lab, I'd say there is no rush to get started. You'll be there for 5+ years, take a break now. If you will be doing a rotation, do you need to be doing an extra rotation? If there are quite a few labs you're interested in, then maybe the extra time will help. Personally, I have quite a few things I'd like to get done before moving for school, so I am going to enjoy the free time I have in the evenings right now before getting back into school mode after quite a few years out.

My last day will be July 31. On Aug 1 I'll be on a plane back to my home state, visit friends and family for a week, then take off with my dad and girlfriend for Calgary to set up before the semester starts.

I'll only be informing my boss about mid-June. I know he'll have a meltdown and isn't the most emotionally stable person, so I'm really not looking forward to this. It's been unbelievably hard making it day after day here, the work is mind numbing and the environment is as close to hell as I suppose could be found on earth, but it's good money and I'll need every cent since my stipend will only cover tuition and basic living expenses, no way I can add to my savings the next several years after leaving. At this point I'm just taking it day by day ("Okay, all you have to do is make it to the end of today! If you do that then TOMORROW you can consider turning in your resignation!" ...except, you know, every day)

I'm pretty sure we work in the same office. I told my boss two weeks ago that I would be leaving mid-June to get my PhD. Of course his major concern was how my leaving would affect him. Dude, that's so not my problem. Good luck with that one. It was the response I expected. 26 more days! (Yes, I have a countdown.)

So I've already replied to this post once, but I felt the need to pop back over today. I'm in such a rut since I got into school it's not even funny. I keep thinking "I'm only keeping time for a few more months, so what's the point?" about just about everything. Yesterday I got caught doing financial aid stuff from the office. (and yet, today, here I am screwing around on GC). I've gained almost 10 lbs because I can't be arsed to eat properly or exercise. It sucks, because it's going to leave me at a disadvantage when school DOES start. More last minute stuff to take care of, plus I'll be feeling like hell because I've been treating my body like crap. Don't get me wrong...I know this isn't the end of the world, and I'm beyond thrilled to be starting school...I just hope that I snap out of my funk as easily as I expect myself to, because if I continue feeling like this I'll be screwed when school starts.

So I've already replied to this post once, but I felt the need to pop back over today. I'm in such a rut since I got into school it's not even funny. I keep thinking "I'm only keeping time for a few more months, so what's the point?" about just about everything. Yesterday I got caught doing financial aid stuff from the office. (and yet, today, here I am screwing around on GC). I've gained almost 10 lbs because I can't be arsed to eat properly or exercise. It sucks, because it's going to leave me at a disadvantage when school DOES start. More last minute stuff to take care of, plus I'll be feeling like hell because I've been treating my body like crap. Don't get me wrong...I know this isn't the end of the world, and I'm beyond thrilled to be starting school...I just hope that I snap out of my funk as easily as I expect myself to, because if I continue feeling like this I'll be screwed when school starts.

don't be too hard on yourself. it's an incredibly huge life shift you're making, so it's not altogether unexpected to find yourself in a strange place mentally and emotionally. i went through a few weeks of not sleeping, overeating, and being a hermit. after awhile i recognized that it was really important to take care of myself, and that while all this was normal, i had the choice to make of how i wanted to tackle it all. granted, it's still incredibly overwhelming and emotional to be leaving, but it's all a big adventure in the end and all you can do is roll with it. you'll turn that corner soon :)

My program starts in near the end of September, so I'm staying at my job until sometime mid-late August. It actually works out well, as I work in a research lab in the same field and the grant I'm on ends Aug. 31st, so I would've been temporarily out of a job anyway :) My supervisors were some of my LOR writers and have gone through nearly every step of the process with me (and talked me down from the application-panic ledge more than a few times) so I didn't really have to tell them I was leaving, they already knew.

While I have noticed a slight decrease in my motivation levels since getting into school (I think I'm more distracted by planning my move than anything), I do plan to work with my current colleagues and supervisors again after I graduate so I can't really slack too much. Plus I really do love my job, which helps.

My program starts in late September and I already live in the city. I'll be staying at my job as an Actuary (which is somewhat related to my field) all the way through September 14th. Mostly because I could really use the cash but also bonuses don't get paid out until mid September and I really don't want to miss out on mine. I have some vacations planned throughout the summer already so it won't be too bad (hopefully). But I totally feel your pain, these last few months since I've known about school have been dragging on and my motivation is slowly sinking. Luckily I love all the people I work with so that makes it easier to get up in the morning and go.

don't be too hard on yourself. it's an incredibly huge life shift you're making, so it's not altogether unexpected to find yourself in a strange place mentally and emotionally. i went through a few weeks of not sleeping, overeating, and being a hermit. after awhile i recognized that it was really important to take care of myself, and that while all this was normal, i had the choice to make of how i wanted to tackle it all. granted, it's still incredibly overwhelming and emotional to be leaving, but it's all a big adventure in the end and all you can do is roll with it. you'll turn that corner soon :)

You're so right. The weird part, though, is that there's no *conscious* emotional component. I'm "at peace" with my absurd level of laziness, except when I look at my behavior objectively...making it much harder for me to get in gear. I'm workin' on it, though.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one dragging my feet at work :) I live abroad and have been working with architectural drafting (10-11 hours/day), so I am so HAPPY to be moving on to grad school. I like my co-workers a lot, but the daily tasks are so tedious. I told my boss last week that my last day will be June 15 (woohoo)...I have a countdown in my agenda....despite knowing that I only have one more month and each day is torture.

Any tips on what you use to motivate yourself (besides daydreaming about grad school)?

I got an acceptance call from the dean of admissioms at the only univeirsty I applied to this morning, while at work. I've been having a very hard time focusing on my job since then.

Remember when we were children and we would count down the days of school until summer vacation? Now as adults, we are counting down the days until we go back to school. Funny how things work that way. It is nice to know I am not the only one feeling this way. I am dragging mostly because I work two jobs (I wake up at 5 or 6am everyday and I am not much of a morning person haha) and even though I have been gainfully employed for the few years I have been out of school I feel like (and everybody else who feels like voicing their opinion) I am not living up to my potential career wise. The job market was abysmal when I graduated so I have picked up some fairly random jobs. Now, I have a better vehicle for accomplishing what I want. So now, work is slowly dragging along and I spend a lot more time looking out the window. Haha

Has anybody ever had your employer talk to you like you are going to be employed there FOREVER even though they know that you are probably extremely overqualified for what you do? This is happening to me at one of my jobs. It as if they think I should have no ambition, lol. My job is okay for the most part, but I get an ehhh hourly wage and no benefits and I only work part time so I have to have another job. They will probably be highly upset when I leave, which in part I am not looking forward to telling them. Another part of me will find great pleasure in it!