Surviving those last few weeks of work

Theasaurus

Not to worry, I'm working summer school until the end of August a few days before orientation. Right there with you.

On the bright side, it's a bit of a "break" as I'm comparing inner-city Detroit public school kids to San Jose prep school kids? :D

I know I've already posted in this topic, but I looooove coming back to read the new responses. They make me SO happy to know I'm not alone! Just a long list of things people are doing at work to pass the time until they can march out for the last time. I am super jealous that most of you will be done this month or next, as I'm stuck at my work till the end of August.

I had a bit of time off work, and during that time I spent 3 days helping out on a movie set, and was temporarily part of a union. What a difference! Best experience of working ever! Of course, tomorrow I go back to my call centre job, which is going to be even less tolerable because of it. But, just a couple more months and I go flip my work the bird and leave with a big, fat grin on my face. :D I think the night before I quit I'm going to watch Office Space.

My last day of work was May 10th. I spent the two weeks after that procrastinating about packing and moving and wound up waiting until the day before I was due to leave to pack my stuff up and load my car. That was an adventure! I am now in Tennessee with my parents for around two months waiting to move to Lexington, Kentucky and start my training for my new job. I'm also taking my last three undergraduate classes online and will finish and "graduate" (I'm not walking) just about 20 days before my graduate program begins.

As far as putting in notice, etc. my immediate supervisor and the director of my office both wrote me LoRs - so they were well aware of my impending departure. I also worked in an office on campus - where they expect us to graduate and move on. This made it QUITE simple for me.

I wish all of you the very best in surviving your final days/weeks/months at work - I may not have a job, but, I am living at home with my folks for the first time in ten years. So. Trade?

Hi everyone! Been lurking around in the forums for a month or so and decided it's time to say hi!... I just told my boss this week that I'm working until the end of August, to then dedicate full time to my Masters. He tells me he'll miss me pretty much every day, and asks me if he can convince me to stay. This is going to be so hard!! I want to leave now but need the $$ and I also have someone that I like making it more difficult.

I feel supported just reading everyone here :)

I just put in my resignation letter today. My supervisor knows as he wrote my recommendations and has seen the whole interview/decision making process play out. A high level manager in the department passed away a few months ago, my supervisor approached me asking if I was really going to leave and was I interested in a new position. I told him point blank "I am going to graduate school it's just a question of where".

I just passed him in the hallway so I know he hasn't seen the letter yet. I'm praying he won' t have fit after he reads it (I am the last in a stream of "time to move on" departures). I won't be leaving until the end of July the last 2 months have seriously dragged on, I seriously wish I had that remote from the movie "Click". I would so fast forward to August!!!

Edited by DeeLovely79

63 calendar days left between me and FREEDOM.

I gave some change to a lady working the corner near my work (my office is in a neighborhood where most of the survival sex work happens in Vancouver) and I thought, at least I have the good fortune to have a job. Even if it makes me miserable and I can't wait to leave in two months to go follow my dreams. Sigh.

I am trying to survive. I have not told either of my places of employment that I am leaving yet. I have two more months left. I was going to try to work up until the last minute before I move to save up as much money as possible but now I am thinking taking a week or two off and having peace of mind is much more valuable than an extra pay check.

I am trying to survive. I have not told either of my places of employment that I am leaving yet. I have two more months left. I was going to try to work up until the last minute before I move to save up as much money as possible but now I am thinking taking a week or two off and having peace of mind is much more valuable than an extra pay check.

Word. I'm taking four weeks off between the end of my job and the beginning of school (one week at my dad's house, two weeks hear tying up loose ends, and then one week in the UK). I think the rest and mental preparation will be worth the two paychecks Im giving up.

It will be worth it to take some time for yourself and relax before the hustle and bustle of school life kicks in. Unless you are going to starve, it's worth it to have a bit less money and a lot more time to enjoy yourself. Remember money comes and goes, but time is something that you can't get back.

Agreed! The more I think about it, the more I know it will be worth it to take the couple weeks off before moving away for school. Give myself a mental break before the real craziness begins.

It will be worth it to take some time for yourself and relax before the hustle and bustle of school life kicks in. Unless you are going to starve, it's worth it to have a bit less money and a lot more time to enjoy yourself. Remember money comes and goes, but time is something that you can't get back.

I definitely will not starve! I have a good chunk of money saved up. But as time passes the more I realize that you guys are right, I should take a little extra time. There are some adventures in Florida I would like to conquer before moving on to the state.

I took a week and a half or so off from my office job to do some driving on a movie set in town which financially enabled me to quit my office job next week. THANK GOD! I might now get a job at a call centre where the training lasts a month, and then when training is done, it'll be time to quit and move away to school. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I am giving my notice on July 15th, and my last day will be August 10th. I am not allowing myself too much time off because that last pay check will pay my moving costs/down payment on my new apartment, etc. No one knows I am leaving, they are going to be shocked and disappointed in me. But I don't care if I don't make this change now I will regret it!!!!

School starts at the end of September for me, but I plan on moving the 1st of September as I will need to start a new lease and I would like to get aquainted with my new city. I plan on working right up until the 30th or 31st of August (I may take off the last day to do laundry, run errands, etc.) I'm about two months away from the big move now and am definitely starting to get antsy-work just seems to boring to me when I know what exciting adventures await me so soon! I am still working as hard as ever, though, because I think that if I didn't I'd go crazy from boredom. It would be nice to quit sooner and just take an extended vacation before school, but personally I would rather earn more money before I head into two years of (mostly) living off of loans. I plan to use it to pad out my living expenses for the year as well as to help me during my first few weeks, before my loans are disbursed. It's also worth the peace of mind to keep my health insurance as long as possible. : ) I know it doesn't sound exciting but I would just keep working as long as you are able to, with maybe a couple of weeks inbetween quitting and starting school. You never know when you will need the money, especially as a student in a tight budget.

@butterfingers2010

I agree with you of keep working until the very last few weeks when school starts. I feel very nervous about leaving my job early because I need the money before I start graduate school on a tight budget and all. I plan to leave early September even my school does not start until late September. At the same time, I want to fast forward this situation. I wish they would paid me a lump sum right now so I can leave sooner for grad school.