The Moving Problem

BrettSD

Hey all,

Who else is moving a considerable distance for their program?

I'm looking at a 2000+ mile move from San Diego, CA to Chicago, IL. I'm excited about the roadtrip, but looking at UHauls trucks and pods is making my wallet shed a tear, then again, what about grad school doesn't make our bank accounts cry?

So, where are you all moving to, and what tips or suggestions do you have? Does anybody have any recommendations for inexpensive and reliable methods for moving materials from one end of the country to the other?

I'm moving over 3000 mi to my destination this fall. Since we don't have to furniture to move, we are shipping boxes to my in-laws in california. Then from there, we'll either caravan with our boxes or rent a uhaul trailer. It's going to cost a pretty penny any way you look at it.

You should look into whether it's possible to share a pod with someone else moving to the same area. I know that container shipping to hawaii allows this, but i don't know about pods.

Take as little as you can. Get the big stuff once you are there. I moved from New Hampshire to Florida for the fall 2010 semester, and am now preparing to move from Florida to Tennessee. Ship your books via USPS media mail - it's cheaper. Get one of the small U-haul trailers and stuff as much into that and your car as you can. Ship the rest. I always think that I look like the Joad family from Grapes of Wrath when I move - everything just shoved into cracks, trying to use all the space I have.

On one hand, I had the advantage of not having any furniture - my FL apartment is furnished. On the other hand, I drive a neon which is tiny.

Consider how much it cost to ship things versus how much it cost to buy things in the new location. When I moved from NYC to Chicago, I chose to buy most of my items in Chicago rather than have them shipped.

This is tougher the more years you are out of undergrad and the more junk you acculmulate. Nevertheless, a mattress is a mattress is a mattress and takes up a great deal of space.

What is everyone even bringing that requires a UHaul? Maybe it's because I'm only 22 years old [that I have no big possessions].

I was wondering this, too, but I'm another youngin' (23). I'll be moving about 1600 miles to get to school. I moved home from college every summer during my undergrad so I've nearly got it down to a science, but it will be a a bit more difficult this time around. I have to fit everything into the tiny car I have right now. So far the plan is to spend a couple weeks this summer sorting through my junk and seeing what I can toss out. While I love Smithsonian, what's the point of saving my 4 years worth if I never re-read them? I've already talked to my grandma and she's going to let me use her vacuum packer for my linens, blankets, and clothes so that should cut down a fair amount of space. When the time comes I'll stuff everything I can into my car and either pay to store the rest for the 2 years of my masters or leave it at my parent's. I'll look at thrift stores/Craig's list for whatever furniture I need and buy a new mattress. I'm actually looking forward to that as I don't think I've ever had a brand new mattress!

My main worry is paying to ship the few things I "need" but don't have space for. How much does it cost to ship books? Would it be less to ship my clothes? I have too many books and I just don't think I can decide which to bring with me!

I'm using DoorToDoor to get my stuff from Philadelphia to NYC and it's still pricy but much much better than other stuff I've found as well as still much cheaper than getting all my stuff bought again. Then again, I have a lot of crap largely because I have a furnished apartment and do costume design on the side (fabric hoarding when on sale so I can make pretty stuff to sell).

Here, they have $500 off moving specials this month so if you ask now to keep your quote secure till [whenever you need to move] for a small deposit you can get it solved and save up while at it.

http://www.doortodoor.com/ <--- They also do storage and proved the be the most affordable ones I could find while I was abroad. And their customer service is great!

As for books, ship them w/Media Mail folks.

If I can help it I'd rather not rent a truck. My girl and I are bringing her car. A truck + towing dolly + increased gas consumption to towing = Oof. I'd much rather pack it, have somebody else deal with getting it there, and just drive myself and her across country.

I've moved cross country once. All I brought was a couple of travel bags of clothes since I was moving into an already furnished place. I'm only 25, but quite a bit more settled now. I have a brand new mattress as it is, so getting yet another one is not all that attractive. I'm definitely being very selective with what is coming with me.

As far as books I'm forcing myself to limit what I ship out.

I didn't move for school, but I did move from Michigan to Vancouver, BC in 2010 when I got married (drove the distance by myself). I got rid of a lot of stuff (I had two tall bookshelves packed full and pared it down to only three shelves worth of books), packed only necessities I knew I would want. I bought an extended conversion van that had been converted to a camper for $1200 and hauled everything I decided to keep. A uhaul for the equivalent distance would have been more than $1500. Despite being a 1994 model, it made it the whole way, plus we used it for our honeymoon. Was definitely a worthwhile investment for all the use I got out of it before it failed and I sold it.

I moved to a different country for my Masters. I took 4 suitcases. It can totally be done. This included books, some linens, CDs (music student), music.

I bought cheap furniture and household supplies once there - it was well worth it. I think it was a lot cheaper to do it this way even compared to a cross country move. Students sell of their stuff for $10 when they need to get out of town.

Survive the 1st few months with nothing and then wait until people start movning around. The summer is not a good time to pick up deals, but as soon as semester starts you're good!

What is everyone even bringing that requires a UHaul? Maybe it's because I'm only 22 years old [that I have no big possessions].

Well, I'm married, so it's not just my stuff-- I've got all my husband's stuff to cart around, too. Also, my husband and I have invested in several pieces of furniture in the past (a decent queen mattress, a new couch, etc.) that were intended to last us a long time. We've been living in unfurnished places with our own furniture for awhile now, so it doesn't make financial sense to buy new things once we get to our new city!

I'm 27, as well, and at 22 I didn't have a lot of stuff, either. It tends to accumulate the older you get, I think.

Hm, I'm not much older (24) but I'm married and have my own apartment full of stuff that I really like, lol. Bed, mattress, tv stand, couch, etc. We also have boxes upon boxes of wedding gifts that haven't been opened or used. We got married the summer before I went away for my masters, he stayed home to finish his bachelor's so we haven't had time to use them.

We actually have plans on visiting our new town in June to check out apartments and pick a place to live. When we do we're going to borrow a trailer and take a ton of stuff down and keep it in a storage unit until we move there. It will end up saving us 300-400 dollars to do that.

Leaving everything behind except clothes and some textbooks (though I might leave those as well). Nothing I have can't really be replaced, and will be I've decided. Along with financial support from the program I accepted, I took out 10K in unsub from the government, and will use that to replace anything I leave behind/furnish a new apartment. Certainly an excuse to buy new stuff, but it is one that makes a bit of sense.

I'm moving about 4000 miles away with a spouse and children. We're only taking clothes and one box of personal items each. It's going to be cheaper to sell all of our worldly goods and replace them on the other end than to haul them with us. We are living in university family housing for the first year which saves us the hassle of trying to find a house from so far away, with the added bonus that I can get my housing directly out of my financial aid.

I am moving from CA to FL. I am going to sell everything in my apt, furniture and all and ship my books and clothes via FedEx to FL. I am shipping my car via a car shipping company and flying over with my cat. I would have driven but I don't think my cat would be able to handle several days in the car. This was the best option for me economically.

I'm moving to a different country, and the hardest part is deciding which of my books to take...

Seriously going to begin buying my books in electronic versions so long as the page numbers match for citations.

I'm 30 and have a lot of stuff I don't want to part with or have to shell out money to replace so I'm taking it with me 800 miles south. I also don't have the money to replace some of the things, so... oh well. The bf and I are getting a 20ft uhaul and biting the bullet and driving down there with my car in tow. I kind of priced it out, based on $4.00+ a gallon for gas and it'll cost us about $1600+/-. But it does help that we're both moving so we're splitting the cost of it....

I have moved six times in the last 4 years, and grad school will mean my 7th move. I rented a U-Haul once, when I was moving out my college apartment, and half the space was taken up with stuff dropped off at Goodwill--most of the rest has sat in my mother's attic ever since. Each time I've moved other than that, it was with 2 checked suitcases, a carry-on, and my trusty backpack. That's internationally (US-Japan-US-South Korea-US) and domestically (OR-DC). Now, I'm looking at yet another move of over 2000 miles, to San Diego.

I've been lucky in that I have free storage space at my mother's (my bed is currently her spare guest bed, that's the extent of my 'fee') and that I've moved into furnished apartments every time I've moved. However, I've targeted those furnished spaces because I didn't want to spend a ton of money hauling furniture across the country, or buying it only to leave it behind again! I've gotten so used to moving every few months that I've got living out of suitcases down to an art.

Books--the majority of my boxes at my mother's are books! I used to read books on my iPod Touch, but my sister gave me a Kindle Touch for Christmas along with access to her stash of thousands of shadily obtained e-books. Now when I move it's with a couple of physical books that I don't have e-versions of, but which are essential to my happiness. Also, for anyone who lives sci-fi/fantasy usually with a military bent--Baen Books has a free e-book library called the Baen Free Library they started up about a decade ago because they were the only publisher to welcome the advent of the e-book instead of thinking about ways to restrict sharing of e-books. Not only do they offer free multi-format books for download or reading on the web, any book you buy from them is in multiple formats and unlocked--they advocate (gasp!) sharing them with your friends.

A few tips on packing--tilt your wardrobe towards current/upcoming weather; if you move in spring, it might be better to pack mostly spring/summer/fall clothes and plan on buying some winter wardrobe pieces. Look up a tutorial on rolling your clothes to pack--it works miracles for me, I always get my bags to max weight using those methods. Only take the makeup/skincare/bath essentials that you can't buy inexpensively at your destination.

Also, I saw someone earlier mention Media Mail--everyone who can should use it IMO. It's a discounted shipping rate through the US Postal Service and it's not just books, it's any form of media i.e. CDs, DVDs, magazines, books, etc. I'm going to ship my media package at the last possible moment to avoid having it arrive before I do at my new place, but it'll be saving me at least 15 lbs in baggage allowance.

Hey all,

Who else is moving a considerable distance for their program?

I'm looking at a 2000+ mile move from San Diego, CA to Chicago, IL. I'm excited about the roadtrip, but looking at UHauls trucks and pods is making my wallet shed a tear, then again, what about grad school doesn't make our bank accounts cry?

So, where are you all moving to, and what tips or suggestions do you have? Does anybody have any recommendations for inexpensive and reliable methods for moving materials from one end of the country to the other?

I'm making the move from San Diego to NYC this Fall and planning to use Flat Rate Movers.. I did some research and they seemed reputable and had a great price (if anyone thinks otherwise, please weigh in!). UHaul just seemed absurdly expensive and Flat Rate was full service which will be awesome to avoid heavy lifting in hot NYC in August.