Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

I have an acquaintance who just did the Tanzanian semester program and it sounds like she had an incredible, life-changing experience. You have to be careful with a lot of these "Teach English Abroad" programs out there on the net, as many are not that good or are a total rip-off. WorldTeach is a nonprofit organization and the fees they charge you purely cover the program operation costs. They arrange everything for you so it's really a good deal especially for someone who has no experience living/traveling in that country. :)

Yeah, they're run out of the Harvard Center for International Development so they're definitely a trustworthy organization. Also, Princeton in Asia is a pretty good program. I believe they're application cycle for this year has passed though, so if anyone wants to teach English/ work in Asia they'll have to apply next year. 

Yeah, they're run out of the Harvard Center for International Development so they're definitely a trustworthy organization. Also, Princeton in Asia is a pretty good program. I believe they're application cycle for this year has passed though, so if anyone wants to teach English/ work in Asia they'll have to apply next year. 

Interesting! That's great to know! I'll definitely consider it for the future. :)

Seconded that Princeton in Asia is really great. Princeton in Africa and Princeton in Latin America are also options (for next application cycle)!

Feeling really antsy today :(

Tell me about it!  I am a bundle of nerves because of Fulbright, grading student essays, and getting feedback on my own papers!  So much criticism (albeit constructive)!

Did any Germany ETA applicants also apply to Austria's USTA program?

I applied to both (and got both) back in 2010. It's a tough decision because Austria is so great at letting you know EXACTLY where you'll be living and at what schools you'll be teaching. Germany leaves you in the dark till May-ish by just telling you your assigned state when you get your congratulatory email. I did my Germany ETA and now reapplied for Austria USTA this year, after kicking myself for not extending. The job market is just terrible!! Good luck to you!

I applied to both (and got both) back in 2010. It's a tough decision because Austria is so great at letting you know EXACTLY where you'll be living and at what schools you'll be teaching. Germany leaves you in the dark till May-ish by just telling you your assigned state when you get your congratulatory email. I did my Germany ETA and now reapplied for Austria USTA this year, after kicking myself for not extending. The job market is just terrible!! Good luck to you!

Thanks for the info!  Did you have both offers before you had to make a decision?  I didn't realize you have to wait so long to hear your placement in Germany... But it's encouraging to hear that you had such a great year!

How long can you extend your ETA? Isn't it just a few months?

At least for Germany you can extend another year. You need to have solid references and it's ultimately up to the flexibility of Kommission's budget. Three of my friends stayed on back in 2011.

Is this a different category of applicants? If this is who I'm competing against, I need to start moving on with my life.

Yeah, these are technically the fulbright scholar grants while we are competing for fulbright student grants. 

If the school agrees, you can extend for another year. Although, if I've heard correctly, I believe certain support (such as airfare) is not covered for the second year.

Response from the Netherlands 3/26/2013 10:45 AM from eomalley@iie.org

Not selected, disappointed, I was an alternate last year.The whole application process takes a lot of out you. However, we are all good candidates to even go through the application process. Waiting on the results of the Whitaker Fellowship as well. Still considering applying again next year. Something about liking the pain that the Fulbright causes me. 

Actually, randomly decided to work on the PhD research at home today to take a break and recharge. Its like the Fulbright knew my plans. 

Good luck to everyone still waiting! Once the box or email is opened, it cannot be unopened.

Edited by jahanzlik

If the school agrees, you can extend for another year. Although, if I've heard correctly, I believe certain support (such as airfare) is not covered for the second year.

Airfare back home is still covered. Unfortunately, as a second year participant, any Fulbright sponsored activities--like the annual conference in Berlin--are not free. You're required to pay for your transportation to and from and cover your own hotel and conference fees. Still, it seems like a pretty good compromise to me!

Edited by der Träumer