Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Whoa, that was in SimCity 2000...is that the version you're talking about???

YES!!

That came is awesome! I tried to install it on my computer, but my computer is too amazing to run that program. Real first world problems.

They just came out with a new Sim City, but it is getting terrible reviews.

To graduating seniors who applied for the full research grant: have any of you felt as though you are under-qualified to do your proposed project? 

I was completely confident while filling out my application. Loved every aspect of my proposal and was so excited and ready to carry it out. I didn't doubt for a second that I couldn't do it--but this waiting process has me thinking if I'm being a bit pretentious. What makes me think I'm qualified enough to do research in another country as a graduating senior out of college. Maybe it's just the nerves talking :/ 

To graduating seniors who applied for the full research grant: have any of you felt as though you are under-qualified to do your proposed project?    I was completely confident while filling out my application. Loved every aspect of my proposal and was so excited and ready to carry it out. I didn't doubt for a second that I couldn't do it--but this waiting process has me thinking if I'm being a bit pretentious. What makes me think I'm qualified enough to do research in another country as a graduating senior out of college. Maybe it's just the nerves talking :/ 
Confidence is key! I already did a thesis abroad. I don't know what field you're in, but in the sciences, a lab is a lab.

To graduating seniors who applied for the full research grant: have any of you felt as though you are under-qualified to do your proposed project? 

I was completely confident while filling out my application. Loved every aspect of my proposal and was so excited and ready to carry it out. I didn't doubt for a second that I couldn't do it--but this waiting process has me thinking if I'm being a bit pretentious. What makes me think I'm qualified enough to do research in another country as a graduating senior out of college. Maybe it's just the nerves talking :/ 

I know that feeling. Just seeing everyone's signatures on this darn board, I keep thinking, "What am I doing here?"

Ha I feel that way all the time! My friend linked me to this the other day: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome

Heh, yeah, except, most people here are in the middle of a Masters or a PHD and have cured the ebola virus. I just have an bachelor's under my belt :) I hope to get there some day, though! Edited by there'sanappforthat

I meant to tell you this last night, but I LOVE your user name!! It's from Sim City, right?? My whole family used to play that game like crazy. We were all reminiscing about it one day and I said how much I loved hearing "reticulating splines" while the game was loading and none of them knew what I was talking about!! Glad to know I'm not the only one!!!

...and we have a winner! was wondering if anyone would get the reference. I'm a huge fan of the games as well

Hi, not sure if anyone else on this forum is waiting for France results but i called them today and they said that they have not heard from France but we should expect to hear within a week and a half, although there's no way they can know for sure that's what they think

Hello there, so you called IIE and asked if they have heard from your country? If that's what you did, I am going to need to try that.

Hello there, so you called IIE and asked if they have heard from your country? If that's what you did, I am going to need to try that.

While you're on the phone wanna ask'm about Norway? I'm only half joking Edited by nainalerom

While you're on the phone wanna ask'm about Norway? I'm only half joking

Lol you just call the iie number on their website i thought it was gona be scary (i've gotten some cranky responses from grad admission offices) but they're really nice and you don't even wait on hold

I know that feeling. Just seeing everyone's signatures on this darn board, I keep thinking, "What am I doing here?"

Heh, yeah, except, most people here are in the middle of a Masters or a PHD and have cured the ebola virus. I just have an bachelor's under my belt :) I hope to get there some day, though!

Ha I feel that way all the time! My friend linked me to this the other day: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome

Impostor syndrome haha love it! Gosh I'm glad I'm not the only one--very comforting :)

Does anybody else sort of feel this general sense of weariness from the whole process of applying for Fellowships? I was a finalist for Marshall, and I'm still waiting to hear back on a different one the first week of April, and it's been this roller coaster of emotions all around. 

Impostor syndrome haha love it! Gosh I'm glad I'm not the only one--very comforting :)

Agreed.  I didn't know there was a name for it! But I guess there is a name for just about everything these days. I am also glad that I am not the only one.  :)

Haha that rules. Never heard of that before, but it sounds legit. But now I'll be dreading exhibiting symptoms of the "Dunning–Kruger effect."

That reminded me that I have  too much crap written for my own and that it's probably annoying to look at. That application process is over with, anyway, so why keep that around.

Once again, best of luck to everyone and hoping to see some more good news up on this board soon! And, yeah, Sim City is great but what about Civ V, people?

Alright guys...so I decided to post to this forum something almost entirely not Fulbright related but is pretty much where all my stress in waiting to hear my Fulbright decision is coming from... in the hopes that you guys may be able to help me...

so I've applied to and been accepted to 2 fabulous PhD programs and I need to decide between the 2...I was sort of waiting to hear about Fulbright before I make a final decision because I just feel like I don't know how I'll feel either way once I hear such life changing news (good or bad...) and that may change how I feel about the PhD programs...but then part of me wants to make the decision now without knowing about that because at the same time, I don't want those emotions to affect my decision...so here's the short of it...yes still long, but as concise as I can get it

Institution A would take less total time to graduation (by a year or 2), I would not have to uproot my life...meaning being able to keep the 10 Zumba classes I teach per week and the band I play in and the friends I've made and all that, I've already worked with the potential advisor and he's a really fabulous advisor, very well established, we work well together, BUT I don't particularly like the city that much, it's not the EXACT research I think I want to be doing, although I do know that I enjoy the research, it's just not exactly what I want, and they'll pay me less, granted for a lower cost of living place...

Institution B would take longer, I would have to take significantly more challenging classes (but I feel like that's worth it, why sell myself short...), has a much bigger name BUT it's been rumored that the program isn't quite what it used to be, that it's just riding on the coat tails of its past success without still being the fabulous program it was and possibly institution A is now a better program...but lacks the history to say for sure...my potential advisor is on my current supervisory committee and she has been by far the most helpful member, I've talked to a number of her past students who all say she's amazing to work with and super supportive, the research is exactly what I think I want to be doing, but granted I haven't yet done anything in depth in that area so I could end up not liking it...I think I would like the city much better...but I've never lived there so I don't know, I've been assured I would have no trouble finding new Zumba classes and I would hope I could find a better band to play in (I play oboe and the one at A is just bad...), and they'll pay me significantly more with way better benefits...so basically it's a big risk, I think I'd be happier there, but I don't KNOW...

Both places will let me defer if I get an award...I feel like without knowing about Fulbright, I really WANT to go to institution B, but every time I try to tell my current advisor (who recently left that institution to work where I am now...) he is like "oh I think you should think about ___ more," or, "oh didn't they tell you this? that could hurt you in the long run, you should think about that more"...but then when I go and talk to other professors they're like eh don't worry about that, it's not as big of a deal as he's making it out to be...so I just don't know what to do!  I feel like if I don't get an award, I may just want to do A to power through and finish earlier and not uproot myself...or I may just want to get out and change it up with B...if I do get an award I will definitely do B, I don't see any reason not to at that point, I'll already be losing my Zumba classes with being away for a year and I can't imagine trying to come back and pick up the pieces a year later...anyone else have any insight?  Anything you think I'm not considering and should be? 

It's really stressing me out because I keep wanting to just go and accept B right now and be done with it, I feel SO bad putting it off for so long when I feel like my heart just wants to accept, but my head is telling me to wait and make sure it's the best decision! Ah!!! what to do what to do?!

Alright guys...so I decided to post to this forum something almost entirely not Fulbright related but is pretty much where all my stress in waiting to hear my Fulbright decision is coming from... in the hopes that you guys may be able to help me...

so I've applied to and been accepted to 2 fabulous PhD programs and I need to decide between the 2...I was sort of waiting to hear about Fulbright before I make a final decision because I just feel like I don't know how I'll feel either way once I hear such life changing news (good or bad...) and that may change how I feel about the PhD programs...but then part of me wants to make the decision now without knowing about that because at the same time, I don't want those emotions to affect my decision...so here's the short of it...yes still long, but as concise as I can get it

Institution A would take less total time to graduation (by a year or 2), I would not have to uproot my life...meaning being able to keep the 10 Zumba classes I teach per week and the band I play in and the friends I've made and all that, I've already worked with the potential advisor and he's a really fabulous advisor, very well established, we work well together, BUT I don't particularly like the city that much, it's not the EXACT research I think I want to be doing, although I do know that I enjoy the research, it's just not exactly what I want, and they'll pay me less, granted for a lower cost of living place...

Institution B would take longer, I would have to take significantly more challenging classes (but I feel like that's worth it, why sell myself short...), has a much bigger name BUT it's been rumored that the program isn't quite what it used to be, that it's just riding on the coat tails of its past success without still being the fabulous program it was and possibly institution A is now a better program...but lacks the history to say for sure...my potential advisor is on my current supervisory committee and she has been by far the most helpful member, I've talked to a number of her past students who all say she's amazing to work with and super supportive, the research is exactly what I think I want to be doing, but granted I haven't yet done anything in depth in that area so I could end up not liking it...I think I would like the city much better...but I've never lived there so I don't know, I've been assured I would have no trouble finding new Zumba classes and I would hope I could find a better band to play in (I play oboe and the one at A is just bad...), and they'll pay me significantly more with way better benefits...so basically it's a big risk, I think I'd be happier there, but I don't KNOW...

Both places will let me defer if I get an award...I feel like without knowing about Fulbright, I really WANT to go to institution B, but every time I try to tell my current advisor (who recently left that institution to work where I am now...) he is like "oh I think you should think about ___ more," or, "oh didn't they tell you this? that could hurt you in the long run, you should think about that more"...but then when I go and talk to other professors they're like eh don't worry about that, it's not as big of a deal as he's making it out to be...so I just don't know what to do!  I feel like if I don't get an award, I may just want to do A to power through and finish earlier and not uproot myself...or I may just want to get out and change it up with B...if I do get an award I will definitely do B, I don't see any reason not to at that point, I'll already be losing my Zumba classes with being away for a year and I can't imagine trying to come back and pick up the pieces a year later...anyone else have any insight?  Anything you think I'm not considering and should be? 

It's really stressing me out because I keep wanting to just go and accept B right now and be done with it, I feel SO bad putting it off for so long when I feel like my heart just wants to accept, but my head is telling me to wait and make sure it's the best decision! Ah!!! what to do what to do?!

Even without making any analyses on the "data" (for lack of a better word) you've provided, and by just purely going with how you have presented the info and what you sound like you truly want, your heart is telling you B. Furthermore, you have the data to back up the decision, so it's not like you're making an emotional, knee jerk decision. Go with B. Plus, how amazing that you have such a supportive advisor at A who if you play your cards right you can still keep in your corner for years to come (hello, postdoc!). And finally, in 5 years, 10 years, no matter which program you choose, you will be where you want to be and you will be happy, because your situation will be what you make of it and you will make the best of it. It is so hard when you are in the thick of it to be able to step back and take the plunge to make the final decision (I have DEFINITELY been there!), but B is an awesome choice and a great opportunity for 5ish years.

...and then it will all be moot because of course the second you make your painstaking decision, you'll get the Fulbright and go to B anyway and all will be right in the world!

Long time lurker, figured I would post to introduce myself.  I am applying for the full research grant for Germany, specifically Berlin though with short trips to Bremen and possibly to Basel, Switzerland.  Second time around, last year I made it to the final decision but was knocked out.  If I don't get it this year, well there's no third chance!  I will have to condense my research time to 5-6 months in Germany funded (quite modestly) by my university.  Hi all! 

Even without making any analyses on the "data" (for lack of a better word) you've provided, and by just purely going with how you have presented the info and what you sound like you truly want, your heart is telling you B. Furthermore, you have the data to back up the decision, so it's not like you're making an emotional, knee jerk decision. Go with B. Plus, how amazing that you have such a supportive advisor at A who if you play your cards right you can still keep in your corner for years to come (hello, postdoc!). And finally, in 5 years, 10 years, no matter which program you choose, you will be where you want to be and you will be happy, because your situation will be what you make of it and you will make the best of it. It is so hard when you are in the thick of it to be able to step back and take the plunge to make the final decision (I have DEFINITELY been there!), but B is an awesome choice and a great opportunity for 5ish years.

...and then it will all be moot because of course the second you make your painstaking decision, you'll get the Fulbright and go to B anyway and all will be right in the world!

Agreed, it sounds like you already know which is the right decision for you. :) 

Another loooong time lurker here! Also, another Germany ETA applicant. I figured I'd been reading all of your posts for a while (and thoroughly enjoying them I must add), so I might as well jump on in! Here's hoping someone gets answers today :)

That reminded me that I have  too much crap written for my own and that it's probably annoying to look at. That application process is over with, anyway, so why keep that around.

Once again, best of luck to everyone and hoping to see some more good news up on this board soon! And, yeah, Sim City is great but what about Civ V, people?

LOL! I totally didn't mean it that way! It's just that most people are applying for several different grants/fellowships and several grad schools and the only thing I'm applying for right now is the Fulbright. Kinda makes me feel like I must not be trying hard enough.

I have never played Civ V, but my boyfriend loves it. I'm not a huge computer gamer anymore. I prefer the Wii or Xbox!

Another loooong time lurker here! Also, another Germany ETA applicant. I figured I'd been reading all of your posts for a while (and thoroughly enjoying them I must add), so I might as well jump on in! Here's hoping someone gets answers today :)

Nice username! Haven't actually seen that movie, but generally a fan of Til Schweiger ;)