Fall 2012ers: How are y'all feeling?

I'll be 4,400 miles away (two flights totaling over 12 hours!) from my boyfriend - this is one of the few reasons I'm glad I didn't get into a PhD program anywhere! Facing one year of an LDR is daunting enough.

Edited by antecedant

I'll be 4,400 miles away (two flights totaling over 12 hours!) from my boyfriend - this is one of the few reasons I'm glad I didn't get into a PhD program anywhere! Facing one year of an LDR is daunting enough.

We did it for the year when I was in the UK and she was in the states -- you can do it! Then she came and lived there with me for 4 months.

I'm only moving 4 hours away (tomorrow!) and still feeling nervous. I am renting a truck so luckily there was no need to condense my book collection. I am surprised at the sheer amount of stuff I possess though, now that I'm looking at it all laid out on my parents' living room floor. This past year I've been working odd jobs around the country with whatever would fit into my car, but now I'm home and my past acquisitions have come back to haunt me. At least the new pad wont look too empty!

i say we make a betting pool to see whose long distance relationship lasts the longest and/or ends first.

Depressing!!!!

Fear not! My LDR has already ended (mutually) so all the others are bound to fare better than mine, and you all will have epic romances whose likes the world has not yet witnessed. :)

Fear not! My LDR has already ended (mutually) so all the others are bound to fare better than mine, and you all will have epic romances whose likes the world has not yet witnessed. :)

*hugs*

Don't worry Thunderpaws, there are going to be so many cute PhDs with Texan accents at UTA that you're not even going to know what to do with yourself!

*hugs*

Don't worry Thunderpaws, there are going to be so many cute PhDs with Texan accents at UTA that you're not even going to know what to do with yourself!

Thanks Antecedant! I'm actually weirdly excited to have less distraction at the start of grad school so I can get settled and stuff... I'm fairly certain this makes me a massive nerd!

tomorrow i start my 15 hour drive to a city i've never been to to live with people i've never met in person. it didn't even hit me until maybe a week ago that i was moving

This, all of this. Especially the "people I've never met in person" part.

How are you guys approaching first semester registration: go for all stuff in your field, or fill in the knowledge gaps? I'm pretty torn.

I'm sticking to stuff in my field. I still have a lot to learn in my field, and although there are soooo many classes I would love to take, I feel like my first priority is to become more knowledgeable in my own field.

How are you guys approaching first semester registration: go for all stuff in your field, or fill in the knowledge gaps? I'm pretty torn.

I'm going for stuff in my field mostly--but UT does have a few courses focused on topics that precede my interests so I'll probably take some of those as well. I read it's good to study the stuff that came before and influenced your field so you have a more holistic understanding of the area.... But I still really want to take The Victorian Triple Decker!"

Went to ratemyprofessor and found the easiest professors. Shakespeare it is! I don't want to break in my first semester with a coaster ride. Slow and steady wins the race. And I don't suggest driving from NC to KS. I'm still tired a week later.

I'm driving from NC to CA. I'm in for it......

I'm a bit late coming back into the game, but appropriately here I am in NC! I'm just getting settled, meeting the roomies, preparing to start classes next week. It all feels surreal...

I'm a bit late coming back into the game, but appropriately here I am in NC! I'm just getting settled, meeting the roomies, preparing to start classes next week. It all feels surreal...

If you want any tips about Carolina, feel free to ask. Most people that were raised in NC spent a great deal of time in Chapel Hill, one time or another.

I went to registration today and got all the classes I wanted. Cohort is great. Got along famously. Yay! :)

Awesome!!! So exciting! I hope that is the case for all of us!

B) ---> sunglasses to mask my fear of not fitting in with my cohort. they're all so much smarter than me! how am i going to keep up this lie that i belong in graduate school?! didn't i mostly fake my way through undergrad?! will i still be able to make it, faking it in grad school?! THEY'RE GOING TO FIGURE ME OUT!!!

Edited by Stately Plump

I picked my classes out, and it was like going to store and being to choose amoung all the most delicious candies. :wub: Also, now that they're grad classes my Dad has stopped making fun of them. Every semester for years he'd be all "Hitchcockian cinema and Lacanian theory? You can watch movies at home for free!"

I'm already down here and ready to go (save for a book error that the publisher is currently fixing). I guess it's more of a matter of nerves. I'm somewhat familiar with the campus already, but it's going to be interesting when classes tomorrow and it goes from a leisure to a push-shove mentality.

My semester doesn't start 'til the last week of September. All the more time to tortuously draw out my relationship issues, to freak out about not having an apartment yet and how little money I have with which to move, get said apartment, and buy things like a bed and food once I'm over there. Also, since my classes start at the end of the month, getting a room/apartment sucks 'cause either I'm gonna have to pay the whole month of September or be homeless for about five days until October.

Also, all the classes I want to take are offered at exactly the same time slot on the same day!!!! It's like they're already trying to politically sabotage me!

*stands by the window with a rifle, ever shifting the curtain ever so slightly in order to peek out*

I am feeling pretty okay so far, but I am waiting for the insecurity to set in.

On a different note, my meet and greet is tomorrow, and I can't decide what to wear. I don't want to look homeless like I normally do, but I also don't want to over-dress. It's also fairly warm out, and the jean shorts won't cut it. /pre-term anxiety

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, GradCafe friends! Long time no talk! :P Just a question for y'all...how are your programs going so far? Personally, I'm loving my classes but am feeling super overwhelmed in terms of workload and even in terms of social interactions. I keep feeling like I'm making an ass of myself and it's kind of awful!

So, just wanted to catch up with y'all (look at this little midwestern girl, becoming a true southerner ;) ) and see how the first year in grad school is treating you!