How were you notified of acceptance/rejection?

sfbbgurl

How did you receive your acceptance or rejection?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How did you receive your acceptance or rejection?

• First by e-mail, followed by snail-mail.
    • First by snail-mail, followed by e-mail.
    • Checked status website, then received official snail-mail notification
    • Only snail-mail.
    • Phone call, followed by snail-mail
    • Only e-mail

There was a similar poll a few weeks back.

Also, no option for phone only? I'm guessing I will get a snail mail notification later, but so far just phone and then email after phone call...

I thought that official notifications always meant there was snail-mail involved. I could be wrong though. I'll add it to the poll.

I have one acceptance that came with 3 PDF attachments - one was the acceptance letter, the next was funding information and the last a contract.

Nothing via website, nothing in snailmail - unfortunately! (and believe me, I was stalking both the website and my mailbox :))

I'm sure it varies from program to program!

I thought that official notifications always meant there was snail-mail involved. I could be wrong though. I'll add it to the poll.

I haven't received anything related to grad-school in the mail at all, except for acknowledgments of my applications.

ha! I just realized I might not get more emails than phone calls because they might not know how to pronounce my name. The one call I had was from a prof I had previously spoken with.

Acceptance:

Phone call from Grad Advisor of department, followed by a fun game of phone tag with my actual advisor (3 calls each) in the department--great talk once we got in touch!

Rejections:

First was a plain email from the Grad Office (followed by a snail mail letter two weeks later--just, I guess, to send the point home, so to speak :roll: )

Second was a link at the website, which I went to after seeing a coupla rejections/acceptances on the results page here at GradCafe. It was a standard run-of-the-mill rejection letter. Didn't hurt so bad since I'd already gotten into one of my top two choices...

Second was a link at the website, which I went to after seeing a coupla rejections/acceptances on the results page here at GradCafe.

Hi GoodGuy, was this for USC? I applied there as well and was wondering if they were gonna update the application status on the application website to let us know how our applications went. Mine's still stuck at "Submitted" after 2 frigging months already. :evil:

Minnesota - Acceptance e-mail followed by snail mail (departmental acceptance), e-mail followed by website (graduate school acceptance)

UC Irvine - acceptance e-mail

UWashington - rejection e-mail

I'm so glad that grad schools submit decisions electronically, waiting for the post is killer.

Hi GoodGuy, was this for USC? I applied there as well and was wondering if they were gonna update the application status on the application website to let us know how our applications went. Mine's still stuck at "Submitted" after 2 frigging months already. :evil:

Actually the one you mention was for Northwestern. I saw a coupla results on the board so I went to the Northwestern site (really, my application) and there was a link (as they'd said there would be). I clicked it and it sent me to a page of a rejection letter.

As for USC, I was sitting at the computer one night, noticed an email in my inbox, saw that it was from USC American Studies/Ethnicity, hurriedly clicked it open...and found a rejection letter! Oh well...

I didn't check your field before I clicked over to reply, so maybe you're in a diff dept that does it differently?

Good luck out there...

GG

I have two rejections by snail mail, one by a notification email w/link to website, one waitlist via email only, one acceptance via phone then email then snail mail, and one acceptance via rmail than snail mail. So I pretty much have the possibilities covered and have no idea what to expect from the last seven schools!!!!

I received an e-mail from my adviser (who already has my undying affection, being a fellow Big Ten school alum) an hour before I got the my official letter via e-mail. I've been bouncing around the room ever since.

My roommate was checked her status for her application to Ohio State shortly after I found out I was accepted to William and Mary. She got into her program as well :D .