MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

Last night I saw a post about deadline standards  or something like that, can't find it today??????

I think you're referring to the posts that a person was spamming all over the place the other day.

Basically, a lot of schools who are all members of the Council of Graduate Schools (CGS) have all signed an agreement to standardize the deadline for accepting financial support for the next year, the deadline being April 15th. This means that if a school has signed this agreement, they can't require you agree to financial aid before that date (whether that is legally-binding or just considered bad form, I'm not sure).

Most of the signees are public universities from the looks of it, and schools that aren't on the list of signees can still do whatever they want. For instance, SAIC has a deadline of April 1st. Furthermore, this date does not apply to offers of admission, only financial support (though it seems those often go hand-in-hand.)

The document has a lot of technicalities regarding what students and schools can and cannot do before and after that deadline, and could be worth a read if your school is on the list. For instance, if you accept a financial aid offer before April 15th, you can back out with a written resignation, but after April 15th, you have to get a written release from the school. 

The agreement can be found at http://www.cgsnet.org/ckfinder/userfiles/files/CGS_Resolution.pdf

If you've been offered aid by a member school, they're supposed to include a link to the above document with offers of scholarship/fellowships/traineeships/assistantships/etc., but it's still worth checking.

Edited by herki

I was accepted into RISD for ceramics as well. I received a phone call Monday. I thought I read in a previous post that you were waitlisted Monday? So that's great that you heard back so quickly! Well either way, it's pretty exciting. Are you going to NCECA? And what school was your first choice? Do you think you will go to RISD?

I was accepted into RISD for ceramics as well. I received a phone call Monday. I thought I read in a previous post that you were waitlisted Monday? So that's great that you heard back so quickly! Well either way, it's pretty exciting. Are you going to NCECA? And what school was your first choice? Do you think you will go to RISD?

Hey!

So I'd love to go to RISD, it's a lot of money, and they said I would hear more about funding this week through the mail! So I'm hoping for the best. As for schools, I would love RISD, i applied thinking it wouldn't happen and I'm happy it did. I got a phone call sayiing they decided on wednesday to admit more people. Which is fine by me! RISD would always be a top choice. I'm hoping to hear back from Notre Dame, Cranbrook, Syracuse, VCU, and Tyler. 

I am going to NCECA! I'm so pumped and it's going to be a great opportunity. I'm curious how things will go since I might see people from the schools I haven't heard back from yet. But I'm just so excited to see Walter McConnell demo and to pick up some great tools! 

RISD - Accepted - 3/14

Notre Dame

Syracuse

VCU

Tyler

Cranbrook

Alfred- rejected - snail mail 2/10

Mass Art - rejected - snail mail 3/15

Edited by relentlesslemons

Ah that's awesome! Do you know how many people are in RISD's MFA Ceramics program? And yeah I want to go to RISD, but it is pretty expensive. I hope the financial package they offer me is decent. I will be at NCECA too! I am excited. I have never been.

Ah that's awesome! Do you know how many people are in RISD's MFA Ceramics program? And yeah I want to go to RISD, but it is pretty expensive. I hope the financial package they offer me is decent. I will be at NCECA too! I am excited. I have never been.

I have never been either! I am really hoping the financial package is good too. I'm hoping to go visit RISD in a few weeks as well. Is there anyone you are looking forward to seeing in particular?

To answer your question I don't know many who were accepted but NCECA is probably a great place to take to their current grad students. 

I also know hat they originally were looking to take btw 4-6 people. Which already seemed like a lot for a ceramics program, compared to other programs. (not complaining)

RISD - Accepted - 3/14

Notre Dame

Syracuse

VCU

Tyler

Cranbrook

Alfred- rejected - snail mail 2/10

Mass Art - rejected - snail mail 3/15

Edited by relentlesslemons

I was accepted at Mt. Royal and waitlisted at Hoffberger, so I'm not sure. I'm a painter so it would be a tough choice.  Haven't really checked out too much of the work coming from Mt. Royal but I've heard great things.  I'm a little hesitant about baltimore, but my options to stay in NYC are not many at this point. I think there's a really good chance I'll end up in maryland, my two best friends from college are from there, that town seems to want to suck me in.  Had an interview at NYU, but a little nervous about how little is talked about that program, would love to know peoples' thoughts on that.  

Plus the city is super into it's arts funding right now so we have things like the Sondheim Prize (25k and finalists get a show in the BMA), the Baker Artist Awards (three $25k grants yearly), B-Grants (nine $1k grants yearly), Awesome Grants, etc... plus smaller galleries like sophiajacob, nudashank, current space, open space, etc. Actually for a while the city was giving many artists/curators ground floor gallery space and $10k for renovations if they applied for it. I don't remember what that program was called but I went to a few shows for it in 2011, 2012. I will tell you that it doesn't really have a blue chip scene and the collectors mostly come from DC, but I don't think that bothers anyone too much. 

Erpnope...So true! Baltimore is happening right now...They also just renovated the Studio Building and it's hot. (Gallery, Cafe, everything...) I do low-residency, so I show and make work on both coasts during the year and do Baltimore for summers. But, you are only a few hours away from Philly and NYC if you want to branch out. 

The crime is a downside to Baltimore, but the lower cost of living maybe makes up for it. After graduating this summer, I would have spent 30k on my graduate degree and I think it was worth every penny. 

Edited by littlenova

I have been enjoying the conversation about Baltimore and other cities with up and coming contemporary art scenes. 

Does anyone else want to weigh in on cities they feel are giving rise to quality contemporary art? I am looking for a good balance of relevant, accessible and affordable. 

Thanks all!

PTSD-2013, if you are willing to come North of the boarder, Montreal is an awesome city with one of the best art scene in Canada. There's a really strong artist-run center network, museums and the commercial galleries are developing rapidly along with the art market (that used to be the weak spot of the art scene here, but it's getting stronger). You can easily find a apartment with roommates for 300$/month, maybe even a bit less if you look well and are willing to sacrifice a bit on location. Crime is not really an issue. We do have student protests though! But, that allows us to have tuition fees that does not jeopardize your future for the rest of your life because of loans. I'm not sure the exact numbers for international or out-of-province students, but for residents, I would be looking at around 7000$ total for a 3 year MFA program (If I get in!!). Concordia is a good university. It's a big program, but it's split by department and they take around 6 per year so you're in smaller groups. They have good studio spaces and facilities. There is also UQAM university if you speak French. Well known program, more interdisciplinary, but the grad students don't really have a studio space, more like a desk space (which was a weak point in my opinion).

Toronto is also a good spot with many schools in and around it, such as OCAD. I believe that the commercial gallery network is stronger. Tuition and living costs are higher from what I know than Montreal.

Vancouver seems also a potentially interesting town for grad school from what I hear. Emily Carr have a new MFA program they started a few years ago. But I don't know much about it since I've never been.

HOLY FUCK! JUST GOT ACCEPTED TO CAL ARTS!!!! 

interview day was amazing! they have an outdoor pool and i went swimming in it during reception with a friend that goes to the music school and some other new friends, then attended an amazing performance lecture by michelle dizon. and gallery openings until 11pm. the school is open 24/7, the campus is gorgeous with its 360 degree view of mountains, and perfect view of the sunrise.

and the best part is the everyone there is SO SMART!

anyone else got in? 

I have been enjoying the conversation about Baltimore and other cities with up and coming contemporary art scenes. 

Does anyone else want to weigh in on cities they feel are giving rise to quality contemporary art? I am looking for a good balance of relevant, accessible and affordable. 

Thanks all!

I really love what's happening in Miami, Milwaukee and Minnesota. Miami still needs a decent MFA program and you'd have to navigate some of the bullsh** art fairs, but it's an amazing incubator for some hot art and there is funding. 

Edited by littlenova

So did anyone else not hear from mica today? I was sent an email mentioning they would make all final decisions by today...starting to worry.

I did not hear from them on the 15th, either. I was told during my interview that they would notify me "around" the 15th, so I hope that indicates a not-so-hard-and-fast deadline.

What program did you apply to? It seems those who heard Friday were painting students, so maybe some departments notified on Friday. I applied for the low residency program and had an interview back in February. I

I did not hear from them on the 15th, either. I was told during my interview that they would notify me "around" the 15th, so I hope that indicates a not-so-hard-and-fast deadline.

What program did you apply to? It seems those who heard Friday were painting students, so maybe some departments notified on Friday. I applied for the low residency program and had an interview back in February. I

In order to remain in the forefront of our minds, MICA is notifying by snail mail.

I was concerned when I received the 15th announcement being that I had not received an interview. 

In their response the mentioned notifications (both good and bad) were scheduled to be mailed on the 15th. 

I applied to the graphic design department. I'll be returning home(from an interview at cranbrook) and will check the mail then. You would think we would recieve an email as well...

I feel a little better knowing there are a few of us here who did not hear via email on the 15th--and I hope they did do a snail mail notification (though it would have been nice to get an email). I was worried when I saw that others had received an email.

I will keep everyone posted. Hope we hear from them soon.

This is my list of schools...

UNL - Rejected

ASU - Rejected

Wash U STL - Accepted

RISD - Accepted

IUB - ?

Rainbows... what program did you apply for? I have not heard a thing yet and I applied for Digital! So far I've heard that Printmaking and Painting have heard back?

MICA left me a voice mail last night at around 7:30 PM notifying me that I had been accepted and also that the formal letter had been mailed that morning.

Interesting. What program did you apply to? I have a feelin each program is putting their personal spin on the notification process. Others were notified via email.