NSERC 2013 - 2014

eliasg

I have heard from a few different people that they do. I don't know what the purpose of this ranking is though. I am not sure whether or not NSERC takes it into consideration.

I was ranked 3rd by the Department and I won PGS-D3. That was in 2008.

No mail today so I ended up emailing graduate studies.  I was told they didn't want to contact students in case there were any errors and were letting NSERC inform them.

However, I was told that I did not receive an NSERC but was "first on the wait list".

Ah, now more anxiety and waiting!  I guess this means I will only receive an NSERC if one of the students declines it (which probably won't happen).  Disappointing, but that's how it goes.

^What school?  Every year many people turn down the scholarship so keep your hopes up.

Also from twitter it looks quite official that University of Alberta and Waterloo has been telling the results to students.

No mail today so I ended up emailing graduate studies.  I was told they didn't want to contact students in case there were any errors and were letting NSERC inform them.

However, I was told that I did not receive an NSERC but was "first on the wait list".

Ah, now more anxiety and waiting!  I guess this means I will only receive an NSERC if one of the students declines it (which probably won't happen).  Disappointing, but that's how it goes.

Is the wait list dependant on the university or is it NSERC wide? I am in the exact same position as you "first on wait list" does this mean someone from our university has to decline or does this mean someone from you particular NSERC panel have to decline?

Is the wait list dependant on the university or is it NSERC wide? I am in the exact same position as you "first on wait list" does this mean someone from our university has to decline or does this mean someone from you particular NSERC panel have to decline?

I'm pretty sure it is dependent on the university.

I remember reading in last year's NSERC thread that several people on the waiting list actually got an award in the middle of the summer.

I have no idea what the chances are though.  If someone declines I suppose we get one, but the chances seem slim.  I hope it is NSERC-wide instead!

Any news regarding NSERC PDF applicantions?

I called NSERC today and they told me that they will mail the results this week.

Last year they awarded only 98 PDFs (success rate was around 7.5% !!!).

Any idea how many PDF they will award this year?

I am on the alternate list for my university. Does anyone know how this works?

That was me last year. I would recommend that you email NSERC asking for your score breakdown. You can see what your position is in your committee. From there, you can see exactly how many in your committee were funded when they publish the stats in April/May. Subtract your number from the total number of awardees in your committee and that's your wait-list number. I do not believe the waitlists are by school, but by committee. 

That was me last year. I would recommend that you email NSERC asking for your score breakdown. You can see what your position is in your committee. From there, you can see exactly how many in your committee were funded when they publish the stats in April/May. Subtract your number from the total number of awardees in your committee and that's your wait-list number. I do not believe the waitlists are by school, but by committee.

Did u get the award last year?

Congrats!  Did you (or anyone else for that matter) receive a letter informing you?

I am still hesitant about contacting graduate studies, because I am sure they are being inundated with like-minded individuals and it is a good exercise in patience... as I sit here and listen for the mailbox to slam shut  :wacko:

I heard from graduate studies.. no letter yet. 

Hopefully your news will come soon!

I noticed that NSERC reduces the doctoral scholarship (PGSD and CGSD) each year for example in my school McGill the total number of offered doctoral awards are:

60 awards----   2010

42 awards-----  2011

38 awards-----  2102

Also in Waterloo

54awards----   2010

48 awards----- 2011

42awards-----  2102

is it expected also this year another reduction in the doctoral awards will be?

The "wait list" is not dependent on school. It is dependent on the total amount of declined awards. I was on the wait list last year and 3 people from my school rejected awards to pursue medical school but I did not receive anything. As far as what my professor told me, basically put you on a list at NSERC and depending on the rejections they assign awards to those on the wait list and notify them in June. Based on what I have heard, several years ago, NSERC used to award more than their budget allotted and take into account the rejections after the fact, until not enough people rejected them and they were in the red. They then changed their awards process.

On another note, I'm at the University of Victoria and as far as I know no one has heard anything, at least in the department of chemistry.

I noticed that NSERC reduces the doctoral scholarship (PGSD and CGSD) each year for example in my school McGill the total number of offered doctoral awards are:

60 awards----   2010

42 awards-----  2011

38 awards-----  2102

Also in Waterloo

54awards----   2010

48 awards----- 2011

42awards-----  2102

is it expected also this year another reduction in the doctoral awards will be?

I haven't had a chance to look through the budget, but in general conservative politics seek to cut taxes and lessen government.  So I wouldn't be surprised if such was the case.

I haven't had a chance to look through the budget, but in general conservative politics seek to cut taxes and lessen government.  So I wouldn't be surprised if such was the case.

On paper maybe, but never in practice!

The "wait list" is not dependent on school. It is dependent on the total amount of declined awards. I was on the wait list last year and 3 people from my school rejected awards to pursue medical school but I did not receive anything. As far as what my professor told me, basically put you on a list at NSERC and depending on the rejections they assign awards to those on the wait list and notify them in June. Based on what I have heard, several years ago, NSERC used to award more than their budget allotted and take into account the rejections after the fact, until not enough people rejected them and they were in the red. They then changed their awards process.

On another note, I'm at the University of Victoria and as far as I know no one has heard anything, at least in the department of chemistry.

Were you told what "position" you were on the wait list?  I don't want to get my hopes up, and it sucks having to wait a couple more months, but I wonder if anyone actually gets an NSERC PGS on the wait list (especially in recent years).

For those of  you who are stressing about the wait list:

In 2011 I applied for a PGS-M, and was informed that in april that I was on the waitlist.

I got another email in June saying that I was successful, and was in fact awarded a CGS-M.

So it does happen, but you won't hear anything until June. You might as well stop stressing about it and enjoy yourself until then!

As of now I am waiting on a PGS-D letter in halifax... Hopefully the mail was sent out this week so we hear something soon!

For those of  you who are stressing about the wait list:

In 2011 I applied for a PGS-M, and was informed that in april that I was on the waitlist.

I got another email in June saying that I was successful, and was in fact awarded a CGS-M.

So it does happen, but you won't hear anything until June. You might as well stop stressing about it and enjoy yourself until then!

As of now I am waiting on a PGS-D letter in halifax... Hopefully the mail was sent out this week so we hear something soon!

Thanks for the information, I'll bow out of this thread until June and wish you and everyone else the best of luck!

Any news regarding NSERC PDF applicantions?

I called NSERC today and they told me that they will mail the results this week.

Last year they awarded only 98 PDFs (success rate was around 7.5% !!!).

Any idea how many PDF they will award this year?

No clue, but the main reason for the decline in PDFs and PGSs is that they have been funneling money from those programs into CREATE, which I guess will only continue this year unless they have decided to get the CREATE money from elsewhere. If there are more than 100 PDFs this year, I'll be surprised. My 100% pure guess is that there will be 80 PDFs this year...