NSERC 2013 - 2014

eliasg

that's no different than doing an msc and then a phd

I think that's the point of allowing you to apply for a P/CGS-M in the first year of your direct-to-PhD program, instead of forcing direct-to-PhD students to apply for the -D awards only. What I meant is that a direct-PhD student could apply directly for a P/CGS-D instead of the -M and only get 3 years of funding, while applying for the -M first and then the -D maximizes your funding, as if you followed the traditional (in Canada) route of MSc then PhD.

Thanks for the information. This year, out come of the applications seems to have been out earlier than the last year. By Friday this week, everyone should know the outcome (my guess!). I guess its a time to ask the outcome of your NSERC application to your graduate secretary.  

This year, she claims she hasn't received anything from the graduate awards office and I have asked around in other departments, none of which received anything - so it's to the mail I wait but for some reason I am not hopeful this year.

I think that's the point of allowing you to apply for a P/CGS-M in the first year of your direct-to-PhD program, instead of forcing direct-to-PhD students to apply for the -D awards only. What I meant is that a direct-PhD student could apply directly for a P/CGS-D instead of the -M and only get 3 years of funding, while applying for the -M first and then the -D maximizes your funding, as if you followed the traditional (in Canada) route of MSc then PhD.

It's also much less likely to get a P/CGS-D straight from your Bachelors. You probably wouldn't even make it through the internal selection round unless you were REALLY amazing and already had some publications. 

Thanks for the information. This year, out come of the applications seems to have been out earlier than the last year. By Friday this week, everyone should know the outcome (my guess!). I guess its a time to ask the outcome of your NSERC application to your graduate secretary.  

I checked with my grad secretary and department head, they have received nothing from GPS at McGill. I was also warned though that the new administrative system is extremely slow so I shouldn't expect anything (the grad secretary had a mini rant on how frustrating it is to work with them).

I checked with my grad secretary and department head, they have received nothing from GPS at McGill. I was also warned though that the new administrative system is extremely slow so I shouldn't expect anything (the grad secretary had a mini rant on how frustrating it is to work with them).

If the information has already reached to the research office of the far west of university in Canada, it must have reached to all of the universities in Canada (my guess). An hour ago,  I personally went on to checking with the Department Secretary (for CGS-PGS) and then with the staff at the University research office (for PDF). The results are already in. No doubt about it. The results were already in with the research office and then it already circulated to the respective departments in the university where I am in. Its possible that the research offices in some other universities have not yet forwarded the result to the respective departments. I came to learn that the PDF results will not be available in the research office (or departments) unless the application was made directly through the university. 

Just got word from UVic: I got a PGS-D3!

Congratulations! You can now explore additional benefits that comes up with this scholarship, such as additional top-ups, two months of paid (on top of NSERC's fellowship) research experience., including paid travel cost, in Japan, etc.All the best.

Any news about when NSERC will spread out the letters through post mail. I don't know why NSERC insists to send paper letters. As I know OGS and FQRNT announce the results online

Here is the deal in the East Coast:

#1. Emailed my School of Graduate Studies last week asking if the results were in. They replied on Friday March 22 that they had received the results from NSERC; however, they were waiting to release them.

#2. Received an email from the School of Graduate Studies today (March 27) saying that I received an NSERC award and that the official letter should follow shortly in the mail.

The School of Graduate Studies offices throughout Canada must have the results; however, depending on the school, they are waiting for the official letters to be distributed before releasing results internally to avoid confusion (ie. McGill).

Congratulations! You can now explore additional benefits that comes up with this scholarship, such as additional top-ups, two months of paid (on top of NSERC's fellowship) research experience., including paid travel cost, in Japan, etc.All the best.

Are there such top-ops for PDFs?

Nothing from Western yet. :( I guess some schools do follow those rules about not announcing the results until they have been released to the public. 

Any one get news from western? I sent an email to external scholarship co ordinator yesterday. She replied that they will announce the result in the first week of april :( .

Are there such top-ops for PDFs?

That.s a good question, something  I should look at. I am not sure at this time if the PDF holders can obtain further supports from NSERC or not, within their tenure (other than the 5K UK topping), but if a candidate holds the NSERC PDF fellowship, many faculty members (in Canada or in the USA) are happy to top-up, up to 10K (sometimes up to 20 K) per year.

Edited by winter2012

I am having serious doubts that I will receive mail from NSERC today or hear anything from my university because they told me they had not received results yet. 

I bet 99% of people will receive their letters on Tuesday, if they were in fact sent on Monday or Tuesday. This would be keeping with the tradition of April notifications. So no need to hurry home today ;)!

Edited by selecttext