Where are you applying? Applicants for 2013 =)

MSDubbs

Hey all,

I'm mostly just curious: where are you all applying, and why?

I'm a little behind on my own self-inflicted deadlines, which means that I haven't yet solidified my list and I only have a rough outline for my SOP. But I figured it could be fun, and informative, to hear other peoples' choices and thoughts on where they will be applying...and where you're all at in this process, since it's somewhat early but...quickly approaching deadlines and things. Eeps!

Personally, I'll be applying to programs with a strong macro focus, and I am also taking a look at a few schools that also have international social work. Ideally with those, I'd be able to find some flexibility to do international social work with a macro focus, and eventually analyzing LGBTQ communities and movements elsewhere than the states.

My list includes the following schools so far: UConn, BU, Hunter, University of Washington, UMich. And then I have the "oh-god-am-i-going-to-apply-to-any/all/none-of-these?" schools like: Penn, UT Austin, UIC...

If anyone has feedback on those, I'd love to hear it! Otherwise, again, where are you applying? =)

Hello, I will be attending the Brooklyn Campus of LIU in New York this upcoming week with 2 courses. However, it is expensive, I plan to apply to Touro College as it is half the price for the Spring 13 semester.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I will be attending the Brooklyn Campus of LIU in New York this upcoming week with 2 courses. However, it is expensive, I plan to apply to Touro College as it is half the price for the Spring 13 semester.

How do you like the courses there? I am considering applying to LIU's Brooklyn Campus because of their Forensic Social Work concentration.

• 1 month later...

Hi applicants! Well, this should be an entertaining six months. I'm applying for Fall 2013. To only one school. UGA ALL THE WAY! I just have one thing to say - I'm getting in. LOL Well, like anyone, I don't know that. But it's the only school I'm willing to drive to and they are all quite the drive. I'm trying to complete my application packet for early admission, and I think that deadline is December 1.

I've just taken the MAT last week - SO glad thats over. I made above the preferred score. I have a great GPA. I have a resume done, and experience to put on it. I've written my narrative, and given my requests for references out with a Nov 15th deadline to have them back to me. (yeah right.) I still need to fill out my paper application - and oh yeah, figure out how I'm going to pay for it all if I get in. Other than that, I'm really going to be relieved when I've done all I can do, and I'm waiting on a piece of mail.

Still, only applying to one school... scary. But I'm 32, have 2 kids, a husband, a house, and have been looking at their program for a long time. I think I have interests that fit well with the research and programs they offer - so I'm betting on being UGA material.

Gosh, not having a B plan sounded good in my head... Now, seeing it written out, I must be nuts. I might go search for some other schools now. Look forward to waiting it out with you guys! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Abbigail001...I also am only applying to one school. University of Denver. I have others that I thought of applying to but none that grab me as much as DU. I applied on 10/5 and should hear within the next 2 weeks if I am accepted. I am so scared of not getting in, but sending as much positive vibes as I can that I WILL get in! Good luck to you

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've applied and have been accepted to BU and I will likely attend this fall. Please don't hesitate to ask if any of you have questions about this school.

Dawn321- Can we talk via PM about University of Denver? It's a great school, but i'd like to find out more about their scholarship packages.

I've applied and have been accepted to BU and I will likely attend this fall. Please don't hesitate to ask if any of you have questions about this school.

I was told their admissions process has changed. Are you applying to advanced standing and are a BSW student now?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi applicants! Well, this should be an entertaining six months. I'm applying for Fall 2013. To only one school. UGA ALL THE WAY! I just have one thing to say - I'm getting in. LOL Well, like anyone, I don't know that. But it's the only school I'm willing to drive to and they are all quite the drive. I'm trying to complete my application packet for early admission, and I think that deadline is December 1.

I've just taken the MAT last week - SO glad thats over. I made above the preferred score. I have a great GPA. I have a resume done, and experience to put on it. I've written my narrative, and given my requests for references out with a Nov 15th deadline to have them back to me. (yeah right.) I still need to fill out my paper application - and oh yeah, figure out how I'm going to pay for it all if I get in. Other than that, I'm really going to be relieved when I've done all I can do, and I'm waiting on a piece of mail.

Still, only applying to one school... scary. But I'm 32, have 2 kids, a husband, a house, and have been looking at their program for a long time. I think I have interests that fit well with the research and programs they offer - so I'm betting on being UGA material.

Gosh, not having a B plan sounded good in my head... Now, seeing it written out, I must be nuts. I might go search for some other schools now. Look forward to waiting it out with you guys! :)

Hey Abbigail001, we just moved to Tennessee from Atlanta.  I was planning on applying to UGA as well, till my hubby got a job and we relocated.  I'm in the same boat as you - 33, married with 2 kids, and only applying to one school - U. Tenn Knoxville!  I better get in!!! :)

But seriously though, I was wondering if you had considered Kennesaw State?  I met with some of the faculty up there, and it seemed like a good program, but quite different from UGA.  It's another option to consider, if it's not too late in the game.  Maybe less of a commute than Athens, depending on what part of town you're in (we were in downtown Decatur). Can't remember when their deadline is.  GSU was out for my because I'm doing clinical and they only have a macro program.  Anyway, just thought I'd mention it in case you weren't aware that they had a program.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey mstea...when did you apply and how long did it take for them to accept you? 

I know i'm not mstea, but I applied to NYU end of September and found out 10 days later.. and they put my scholarship package in the acceptance letter which is more convenient than waiting around for financial aid info! Hope that helps, mswhopeful2013!

I know i'm not mstea, but I applied to NYU end of September and found out 10 days later.. and they put my scholarship package in the acceptance letter which is more convenient than waiting around for financial aid info! Hope that helps, mswhopeful2013!

Ahhh okay I'm assuming since I applied so close to the deadline that it'll take longer than 10 days. But if they get back to me that early I would be so stoked. Congrats! 

Have you heard from Fordham yet? I applied in late November but I haven't heard anything from them yet.

Have you heard from Fordham yet? I applied in late November but I haven't heard anything from them yet.

Nope I've yet to hear back from too. It's pretty frustrating since they are on a rolling basis. My application was officially complete on 12/13...so if I'm not counting Christmas break .. I should hear back from them sometime next week to first week of Feb (since they said it takes about 4-6 weeks)

Nope I've yet to hear back from too. It's pretty frustrating since they are on a rolling basis. My application was officially complete on 12/13...so if I'm not counting Christmas break .. I should hear back from them sometime next week to first week of Feb (since they said it takes about 4-6 weeks)

I emailed them to ensure everything was complete-- it says rolling and I submitted everything by the end of September and haven't heard so I was concerned. They said they always finish Spring acceptances and get them all starting before they notify fall acceptances.. but said in the next few weeks they should start notifying those who are admitted for Fall 2013.. so goodluck to all :o)

hopefulmsw2013 and bbergstrom

I called this morning and was told that my application was sent to a faculty member for review. At that point, the faculty member has 7 days to report to admissions with suggestions. The decision should then be finalized all within a few minutes once received. If I were you two, I would call and inform them thta you have deadlines from the other schools you applied to and they may provide more relevant info on your application. I'll post here if I hear anything else.

hopefulmsw2013 and bbergstrom

I called this morning and was told that my application was sent to a faculty member for review. At that point, the faculty member has 7 days to report to admissions with suggestions. The decision should then be finalized all within a few minutes once received. If I were you two, I would call and inform them thta you have deadlines from the other schools you applied to and they may provide more relevant info on your application. I'll post here if I hear anything else.

Thanks! I'll definitely give them a call. Do you know if they will notify you by email or you have to wait for the postal mail? It's been such a long wait that it's killing me! I'll let you know what I hear from them.

Thanks! I'll definitely give them a call. Do you know if they will notify you by email or you have to wait for the postal mail? It's been such a long wait that it's killing me! I'll let you know what I hear from them.

I was told that I will be notified via email, but I'm going to keep checking the VIP page and the mailbox just in case. :)

I was told that I will be notified via email, but I'm going to keep checking the VIP page and the mailbox just in case. :)

Ahh okay. Now I'm going to start checking my email. This wait is KILLER. I'm assuming I'll find out this week too since you submitted later than me. Hoping good luck for the both of us!