Where are you applying? Applicants for 2013 =)

MSDubbs

I went to Hunter Silberman's info session last night, we were informed that they are changing something in their online system, so they SHOULD be done sending out notifications by MAY! Not to say thatbou won't hear sooner, but that's the deal.

FYI in stats- last year, they received 1,654 apps, 70-80 percent for the clinical pathway and they review every single one. Personal statement had 80% weight, followed by letters of recommendation which also have a lot of influence, followed by grades. But bare minimum GPA for consideration is 3.0, unless you have lots of social work experience and write an amazing PS plus get great letters of recommendations. They are considering doing a "live" writing sample at he interview because they have found people hat haven't written their own statements, but they are still thinking about that.

That's the latest from Hunter.

I went to Hunter Silberman's info session last night, we were informed that they are changing something in their online system, so they SHOULD be done sending out notifications by MAY! Not to say thatbou won't hear sooner, but that's the deal.

FYI in stats- last year, they received 1,654 apps, 70-80 percent for the clinical pathway and they review every single one. Personal statement had 80% weight, followed by letters of recommendation which also have a lot of influence, followed by grades. But bare minimum GPA for consideration is 3.0, unless you have lots of social work experience and write an amazing PS plus get great letters of recommendations. They are considering doing a "live" writing sample at he interview because they have found people hat haven't written their own statements, but they are still thinking about that.

That's the latest from Hunter.

wow thanks for the update. This is my only school choice.

Hello again everyone,

I had the opportunity of attending Fordham's info session at Lincoln Center last evening, which was great to have Hunter and Fordham's info sessions back-to-back. That being said, I have to say that finances aside, Fordham is where I want to go! Just like Hunter,  the minimum 3.0 GPA is required. Fordham says they are looking at 3-6 weeks to get back to applicants who have submitted their applications.

Main differences between the two schools that swayed my preference:

* Fordham has a lot more flexibility in terms of allowing you some involvement as to field placement and they place  you within 45 minutes of your home so that you do not expect to have a crazy commute. At Hunter, you do not have any choice at all as to where you are placed unless you are already employed at a SW agency of some sort who will be willing to support you as a student (not financially of course).

* Fordham seems more open to accepting candidates who do not have prior social work experience. They look at your skills sets and experience as a whole and then take it from there in terms of field placement. Hunter's Director of enrollment (who makes final decisions) said that she really does look for experience and does not remember accepting anyone who does not have prior experience. Reason for this is that from Day 1 on field placement, you are pretty much serving the public and need to be familiar with services.

* After learning in depth about the different programs, I prefered what Fordham has to offer in terms of program diversity.

* Hunter is on the East Side on 119th St/ 3rd Ave, while Fordham is on the West Side at 60th and Columbus. Both relatively easy to get to via public transportation.

* The obvious: Approx. $57,500 vs Approx. $24,000 (a bit less for NYS residents)

Similarities:

* The Directors of admissions and Asst Directors at both schools were very knowledgeable. It gave me confidence to hear them discuss the schools and answer questions.

* Both have an incredible number of Agency contacts for field placements.

* Both really take the personal statement very seriously in the admissions process.

* This is just my personal preference/pet peeve- At Fordham, I ALWAYS get a human being who answers the phone whenever I've called. They are very informative and helpful. At Hunter, I RARELY get a human being on the phone. Their hours are very limited in terms of when they can have someone available to answer the phones and the recording always refers you to the website.

Hope that is helpful! Please let us know if anyone hears back from any of these two.

Edited by MSWgradcandidate

MSWGradCandidate,

Thanks for the valuable information about Fordham. I haven't been able to go to any of the info sessions since I live in NC, but I did schedule a personal meeting with the Director of Admissions last November. From that meeting, I was really impressed with the friendliness of the staff and the information on their program. I feel like Fordham really cares about their students.

I guess all we can do now is just wait to hear back from admission.....

You're welcome! And yes, I also got the feeling that they really care for their students. Obviously, it helps that they are a private institution and have the extra funding- it allows them to give that extra attention/services.

I did undergraduate at Fordham and loved it then, but there is a different feel to the graduate side of things. Anyway, fingers crossed! I paid my undergraduate through loans and will do the same if I have to for graduate studies if I can get in to my preferred school.

I just heard from Fordham after applying in Septmeber.. still waiting on Hunter!

Hello again everyone,

I had the opportunity of attending Fordham's info session at Lincoln Center last evening, which was great to have Hunter and Fordham's info sessions back-to-back. That being said, I have to say that finances aside, Fordham is where I want to go! Just like Hunter,  the minimum 3.0 GPA is required. Fordham says they are looking at 3-6 weeks to get back to applicants who have submitted their applications.

Main differences between the two schools that swayed my preference:

* Fordham has a lot more flexibility in terms of allowing you some involvement as to field placement and they place  you within 45 minutes of your home so that you do not expect to have a crazy commute. At Hunter, you do not have any choice at all as to where you are placed unless you are already employed at a SW agency of some sort who will be willing to support you as a student (not financially of course).

* Fordham seems more open to accepting candidates who do not have prior social work experience. They look at your skills sets and experience as a whole and then take it from there in terms of field placement. Hunter's Director of enrollment (who makes final decisions) said that she really does look for experience and does not remember accepting anyone who does not have prior experience. Reason for this is that from Day 1 on field placement, you are pretty much serving the public and need to be familiar with services.

* After learning in depth about the different programs, I prefered what Fordham has to offer in terms of program diversity.

* Hunter is on the East Side on 119th St/ 3rd Ave, while Fordham is on the West Side at 60th and Columbus. Both relatively easy to get to via public transportation.

* The obvious: Approx. $57,500 vs Approx. $24,000 (a bit less for NYS residents)

Similarities:

* The Directors of admissions and Asst Directors at both schools were very knowledgeable. It gave me confidence to hear them discuss the schools and answer questions.

* Both have an incredible number of Agency contacts for field placements.

* Both really take the personal statement very seriously in the admissions process.

* This is just my personal preference/pet peeve- At Fordham, I ALWAYS get a human being who answers the phone whenever I've called. They are very informative and helpful. At Hunter, I RARELY get a human being on the phone. Their hours are very limited in terms of when they can have someone available to answer the phones and the recording always refers you to the website.

Hope that is helpful! Please let us know if anyone hears back from any of these two.

THANKS for all the info! I just heard from Fordham (1/29) after applying in September and haven't heard anything from Hunter yet.. I totally agree with your pet peeve of the phone calls! Fordham seemed a lot more informative and helpful via phone!

Just wondering, are you also applying to NYU? Hunter, Fordham and NYU seem the most comparable in NYC, and I applied to all three so just wondering if you were, too! Your info session responses are very helpful! Goodluck!

You're welcome! And yes, I also got the feeling that they really care for their students. Obviously, it helps that they are a private institution and have the extra funding- it allows them to give that extra attention/services.

I did undergraduate at Fordham and loved it then, but there is a different feel to the graduate side of things. Anyway, fingers crossed! I paid my undergraduate through loans and will do the same if I have to for graduate studies if I can get in to my preferred school.

I went to a public university for my undergrad so I did not have to take out too many loans. While you attended Fordham for your undergraduate studies, did they offer a reasonable financial aid package? I know that i'll have to take out some loans but I just want to make sure it's not way too much.

I was accepted today to the University of Pittsburgh!

I've also sent in applications to UC Berkeley and San Jose State, and will be submitting my application for University of Oklahoma this week.

I too got accepted to UPitt  for Fall 2013! Have you heard anything about the scholarship yet? My decision to join the university, to a great extent, depends on it.

Congratulations and good luck to you!

When I got in, I got an email of the official letter, which is also being sent to my home address! good luck :o)

Ughhh I still haven't heard from them. I caved in and sent an email, but I still haven't received a response. It'd be nice to hear from them soon so I can make a decision as to where I want to go. Do you know if Fordham or NYU require you to take a Statistics Prereq. course?

Ughhh I still haven't heard from them. I caved in and sent an email, but I still haven't received a response. It'd be nice to hear from them soon so I can make a decision as to where I want to go. Do you know if Fordham or NYU require you to take a Statistics Prereq. course?

I know NYU doesn't, i'm not sure about fordham. Their communication has been less than ideal compared to NYU, and their website is more general.

I know NYU doesn't, i'm not sure about fordham. Their communication has been less than ideal compared to NYU, and their website is more general.

Both schools do not have a statistics requirement. If you go towards the macro approach at Fordham, there may be some statistics components to some classes but i'm not fully sure.

I too got accepted to UPitt  for Fall 2013! Have you heard anything about the scholarship yet? My decision to join the university, to a great extent, depends on it.

Congratulations and good luck to you!

Thanks! Congrats to you as well!

I haven't heard anything about funding yet. The email I received said that if your GPA was above 3.3 and you applied before the priority deadline, you should be receiving your scholarship letter on or before February 15th. My GPA was 3.2 so I don't know what to expect as far as that goes, but it's still a strong contender for me regardless because I have friends in that area and I really love the description of the COSA concentration.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I have a question: I applied to fordham on 01/06 and mailed in my supplemental documents that same day. According to the tracking I put it was received by 01/08. My vip page still doesn't say complete. Should I be worried? It's been like two weeks or so and I have yet to hear anything of this status update. All I get is, "check periodically". My concern is how do I know it was received. Does anyone have any feedback?

Hey guys I have a question: I applied to fordham on 01/06 and mailed in my supplemental documents that same day. According to the tracking I put it was received by 01/08. My vip page still doesn't say complete. Should I be worried? It's been like two weeks or so and I have yet to hear anything of this status update. All I get is, "check periodically". My concern is how do I know it was received. Does anyone have any feedback?

I wouldn't worry-- not sure if you've heard back since this post, but mine was completed on 1/10 and as of today, still nothing back.. same status as yours.

I wouldn't worry-- not sure if you've heard back since this post, but mine was completed on 1/10 and as of today, still nothing back.. same status as yours.
Finally today 03/01/2013 my app for fordham said completed. Thank god. Now the waiting game begins all over again. I hope it goes to review soon. Hopefully I get accepted. I also hope this process doesn't take forever.