PhD applications for 2013-2014 chit chat...

11Q13

For those waiting to hear back from Duke PhD, I have a (small) bit of insider info. Apparently all the subdisciplines have made lists of their top candidates, and the admissions committee is meeting (all together) this Thursday. That's all I know for sure, but one can speculate that interview notices will go out next week, or possibly even Friday.

For those waiting to hear back from Duke PhD, I have a (small) bit of insider info. Apparently all the subdisciplines have made lists of their top candidates, and the admissions committee is meeting (all together) this Thursday. That's all I know for sure, but one can speculate that interview notices will go out next week, or possibly even Friday.

That is right on par with what I've heard, so I'm guessing your source has the right of it.

Which major program notifies their prospective students first? Is it Vandy? 

I don't think there's a definite answer on this one. If you want to go down the deep, dark rabbit-hole of crushed hopes and dreams, you can look around in the results search for what programs have done in previous years. Even then, however, the timing of notifications seems to vary from year to year.

Anyone know when Duke's interview weekend will be? I only ask so I can go ahead and schedule something important for that weekend so I can justify my lack of an invitation with an "Oh, well; I wouldn't have been able to attend anyway." ... : P

Anyone know when Duke's interview weekend will be? I only ask so I can go ahead and schedule something important for that weekend so I can justify my lack of an invitation with an "Oh, well; I wouldn't have been able to attend anyway." ... : P

I remember seeing something on one of these forums about Feb 8-10th

Yep! I have it direct from the admissions coordinator that the interview weekend is Feb 8-10th. 

imagjedi 4:  my husband goes to duquesne.  i can tell you what i know if you are interested....i applied there too.  good luck!

Sorry I hadn't been on here in a while and just saw this post. I would like to know how much openness the program has to protestants and if the funding is good

Sorry I hadn't been on here in a while and just saw this post. I would like to know how much openness the program has to protestants and if the funding is good

I know a guy who went there after going to a moderate Evangelical seminary.

hi there, i don't know how to do the whole quote multiquote thing...my husband says there's about 5 assistantships which give full scholarship and stipend of $17500.  the professors are open to people doing research on protestant theologians and many incorporate into their curriculum.  the majority of professors are catholic, with one protestant, two orthodox, and one jewish professor.  the tricky thing about duquesne is that you don't get to choose a variety of classes.  they offer one ph.d. in scripture, one in doctrine, and one in moral each semester and it just depends on which teacher is teaching that semester.  hope this helps.

Hi all,

This is my first post, and it is apparently under close moderator scrutiny, so my apologies if it there's a more appropriate thread for this! I'm currently finishing my M.A. at UVa's Scripture, Interpretation, and Practice program.

Here's my application list:

UVa - Judaism and Christianity in Antiquity

UPenn - Ancient Judaism and Christianity

Drew - New Testament

Emory - New Testament

Boston University - Texts and Traditions

My M.A. graduating GPA is 3.9, and my GRE scores are 164 verbal, 154 quant, and 5.0 writing. These aren't exactly stellar scores, but I wouldn't say they're deficient, either. I understand that the admissions process is ultimately subjective, and I'm fairly confident in my SoP and writing sample, but the thing I'm really worried about is how my research interests may or may not be classified. I'm interested in theories of language - post-modern and ancient - as they apply to the category of Scripture as sacred text, and what these theories can tell us about the reception and canonization of Jewish and Christian texts during mid to late antiquity. My main focus is NT, but this also entails a lot of work with the Hebrew Bible. 

Finding appropriate programs has been hard going. 

The bulk of it is the kind of stuff biblical studies folks do, and since I'm not at all interested in theology, I gravitate toward historical studies programs. That list represents the historical programs that I think would be most flexible yet still relevant, but what I've found is that a few professors think it's really fruitful and interesting while at least one objects on principle. 

Has anyone else encountered this sort of thing? Any intel on these programs? 

I do know that if you've applied to UVa, you should expect to hear back around mid to late February!

I've been checking the results search religiously the last few days and have lurked over the conversation going on here--I thought it was high time I joined in. I've applied to Duke, Emory, Marquette, UT, Baylor, and two evangelical schools: McMaster and Fuller (I guess this is the [dis?]advantage of applying to NT PhD programs as an evangelical?). I've had some cordial correspondence with faculty members from most of these schools, along with a few pleasant meetings at SBL; we'll see if any of that pays off in the near future.

Its seems as though we will (hopefully) have some more information from Duke in the next week or so. Has anyone heard (read: have insider knowledge) from other schools? By my perusal of last year's results, Baylor sent out interview notifications around this time last year.

Good luck to all!

hi there, i don't know how to do the whole quote multiquote thing...my husband says there's about 5 assistantships which give full scholarship and stipend of $17500.  the professors are open to people doing research on protestant theologians and many incorporate into their curriculum.  the majority of professors are catholic, with one protestant, two orthodox, and one jewish professor.  the tricky thing about duquesne is that you don't get to choose a variety of classes.  they offer one ph.d. in scripture, one in doctrine, and one in moral each semester and it just depends on which teacher is teaching that semester.  hope this helps.

I grew up in the Pittsburgh area but have been in TN for 10 years so my connections in the area will help in finding housing, etc. if I get in there. Good to know the school is open to working protestants and the stipend sounds better than I thought it would be. Thanks!

Again only one person has posted. I guess all the hot shots have skipped Grad Cafe.

I'm seeing two posts now for Emory Religion, but I'm also wondering about how many people continue to be involved here. Are we behind the times here on gradcafe?

The result search shows one post about Duke interview notification by phone today. Is there any person who got the notification here? It seems that my application failed...

While I am very excited for the people who were invited to interview with Emory, I also kind of want to sit in a dark room and drink whisky forever. 

Does anyone know if interview invites correspond to rejections for everyone else? And if so, will this be reflected on the application website? I just need to see it in black and white.

While I am very excited for the people who were invited to interview with Emory, I also kind of want to sit in a dark room and drink whisky forever. 

Does anyone know if interview invites correspond to rejections for everyone else? And if so, will this be reflected on the application website? I just need to see it in black and white.

Last year a good friend had an interview at Emory (NT) and didn't end up getting a slot. She became an alternate (waitlist) and was eventually rejected. If you haven't heard anything soonish I would expect you will be eventually denied. 

cheers

Those are unfortunate results to see. Congratulations to whomever congratulations is due--it is certainly well earned. While not getting interviews is a hard pill to swallow, it's good to have some kind of information back.

Here's to hearing (positive) results from other top choices sooner that later, said the man drinking whiskey in a dark room.