SAIS application for Fall 2013

As a general rule, I have a solid quant background but for some reason cant master the GRE. I know this is predicated on the whole application etc, but for someone with solid quant skills/background (economic theory, quant economics, micro and macro), would a 158Q suffice? Any current students want to chime in?

As a general rule, I have a solid quant background but for some reason cant master the GRE. I know this is predicated on the whole application etc, but for someone with solid quant skills/background (economic theory, quant economics, micro and macro), would a 158Q suffice? Any current students want to chime in?

Not a current student, but a 158Q is close to the averages at many of these schools, if not above in many cases. If you have solid quant coursework in addition, I wouldn't be concerned.

I have a deferred admission with a concentration in ERE... I am wanting to apply for IDEV ... I would like to pursue a career in Sustainable Development...Any suggestions for me?

Hi ... Look forward to any suggestions for my above question... Also, in case I need to continue with ERE, what kind of job profiles can I look for. Can anyone provide a ballpark figure on typical salary range for graduates from SAIS....just want to figure out how much loan i can afford....

thanks in advance!

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

I have thrown my hat in the ring. SAIS is my first choice. I've also applied to Harvard and Georgetown. We'll know soon enough. Is anyone here applying for the Merrill Fellowship? I'm writing my essay now. I just received the email for fellowship applications.

Edited by riverguide

I have thrown my hat in the ring. SAIS is my first choice. I've also applied to Harvard and Georgetown. We'll know soon enough. Is anyone here applying for the Merrill Fellowship? I'm writing my essay now. I just received the email for fellowship applications.

I put in for the W. W. Norton Fellowship a few weeks back, but I got the fellowships email almost month ago.

I put in for the W. W. Norton Fellowship a few weeks back, but I got the fellowships email almost month ago.

I didn't even get the e-mail (idk why, i guess i'm an int'l student and they thought their fellowships weren't applicable for me?)

I didn't even get the e-mail (idk why, i guess i'm an int'l student and they thought their fellowships weren't applicable for me?)

well that might be it (the Norton one is given to one American student and one from a predominantly Muslim country) but as mentioned earlier, a bunch of people didnt get it and the email had no specific or personalized information, so who got it and who didnt probably has no significance.

I received my emails in the last week of January. I just received another reminder this week. I got into Harvard last week and am waiting on the FLAS decision. Funding, as with everyone, will be the major factor in my decision.

I received my emails in the last week of January. I just received another reminder this week. I got into Harvard last week and am waiting on the FLAS decision. Funding, as with everyone, will be the major factor in my decision.

congrats on getting into harvard! i also recieved the reminder email this week and was kind of depressed when they said the fellowship decisions would come later than acceptance/rejection notifications. the nortan fellowship is on the low end of available funding, but 5K ain't chump change.

Hi all -- is the interview required for all candidates applying to the Bologna campus?  Is it just for non-US applicants?  Do they only invite a select few? Etc.  Catching up on all things app related as we approach decision date...I didn't receive any notice of funding/fellowship or interview.

Thanks

Hi all -- is the interview required for all candidates applying to the Bologna campus?  Is it just for non-US applicants?  Do they only invite a select few? Etc.  Catching up on all things app related as we approach decision date...I didn't receive any notice of funding/fellowship or interview.

Thanks

It was for all non-US applicants, not just for a selected few.

Yes, they only interview non-USC applicants, even for Bologna. I think it might be partially to assess English abilites (although of course that wouldn't make sense for applicants from the UK or Australia, for example).

hi,

What does "even for Bologna" mean? do they interview all non-US students applying for DC campus as well? 

That was sloppy wording on my part. I applied for Bologna, so I don't actually know what they do for the DC-only applicants. If I correctly remember from the Bologna's admissions director's blog, admissions decisions are actually made separately by each campus, and so procedure could vary. For example, this is either the first or second year that Bologna applicants have even been required to do an analytical essay, whereas I guess that's been standard for DC applicants for some time. Hope that clarifies!

They only interview candidates from outside the US applying to Bologna. Its done in lieu of submitting a GRE score, as most EU students have no experience with standardized tests like the GRE, an interview is used instead. All DC applicants submit a GRE score and none are interviewed.

Nason - if you applied to Bologna and are from outside the US, it'd be worth giving admissions a call. The only reason I can think that they did not invite you for an interview is because you didnt note down you're applying to Bologna. I could be wrong but I'd get them on the phone.

They only interview candidates from outside the US applying to Bologna. Its done in lieu of submitting a GRE score, as most EU students have no experience with standardized tests like the GRE, an interview is used instead. All DC applicants submit a GRE score and none are interviewed.

Nason - if you applied to Bologna and are from outside the US, it'd be worth giving admissions a call. The only reason I can think that they did not invite you for an interview is because you didnt note down you're applying to Bologna. I could be wrong but I'd get them on the phone.

Thanks for the heads up.  I'm from the US -- just working down in Argentina at the moment.  Reading through this thread got me worried I missed something during the application.

Any idea how it looks applying for both DC and Bologna campuses?  I listed I'd be ok spending first year at either one.

Thanks for the heads up.  I'm from the US -- just working down in Argentina at the moment.  Reading through this thread got me worried I missed something during the application.

Any idea how it looks applying for both DC and Bologna campuses?  I listed I'd be ok spending first year at either one.

I think they just allocate a campus to you, not sure about the logistics behind it.

Maybe I'm too lazy to follow your conversation thread, but I don't exactly know where you got that information. I am very much in the US, and I have submitted my GRE score, and I have applied to Bologna, AND completed a Skype interview around 2-3 weeks ago.

Maybe I'm too lazy to follow your conversation thread, but I don't exactly know where you got that information. I am very much in the US, and I have submitted my GRE score, and I have applied to Bologna, AND completed a Skype interview around 2-3 weeks ago.

I got the information from Nelson Graves, admissions director at SAIS Bologna. Are you a citizen here?

I got the information from Nelson Graves, admissions director at SAIS Bologna. Are you a citizen here?

I hope so. I've been in the Army for four years :D

That's odd though. Maybe there was a miscommunication somewhere. I know my interviewer mentioned talking to a Marine so I know it wasn't a mistake. 

After writing a 500-words essay, and right before submitting my fellowship application, I realized that I wasn't qualified!! ;(

"W.W. Norton & Company 9/11 Commission Report Fellowship - Established in 2005 by W.W. Norton & Company, publisher of the authorized version of The 9/11 Commission Report, the fellowship supports two students, one American and one student from a predominantly Muslim country, who will pursue careers in promoting international understanding and preventing terrorism."

"one American and one student from a predominantly Muslim country"

Wasted a lot of time and effort.

No wonder I didn't get the e-mail............

May I ask which program you applied to at Harvard? I applied to HKS but have not heard of any admissions decisions being communicated so far.

May I ask which program you applied to at Harvard? I applied to HKS but have not heard of any admissions decisions being communicated so far.

Sure, CMES -only two of us are listed so far on the Harvard GSAS page (as accepted). SAIS is my only I/R app. My Georgetown app is for MAAS and my Middlebury app is for Arabic Languages...I don't believe the HKS decisions have come out yet. I received mine by mail on Feb.19. All of the HKS classes are open to those in CMES.  Good luck!

Edited by riverguide