Am Studies/Cultural Studies/Theory 2013

Ryerson's Communication & Culture program is very open to cultural studies. Also York University's Social & Political Thought and their new program in Media Studies. I would also suggest Concordia or SFU's Comm programs. (I'm Canadian!) 

Thank you! Yay Canada. :)

In an attempt to avoid going nuts while waiting for rejection letters, I participated in the RPM Challenge with some friends and we made silly, serious, cool, and weird music together in February under the band name of Xenomorph Continuum. Writing and recording songs helped February go by more quickly, but now it's over and I'm feeling a little more stressed out now about the universities that haven't notified me yet.

If you guys and gals want to take a listen, the album is at http://undercrypt.bandcamp.com/ to listen for free. Maybe it will make you laugh or dance or just take your mind off the applications for a while.

Is anyone going to claim the BGSU acceptances?

I'm dying over here...

ETA: Just received the following e-mail in response to my query to the grad secretary, "Notifications should be going out by the end of next week.

Let me know if you have any other questions." Being that two acceptances have been posted, I'm going to assume this is another no...

Edited by Pericles II.ii.48

Is anyone going to claim the BGSU acceptances?

I'm dying over here...

ETA: Just received the following e-mail in response to my query to the grad secretary, "Notifications should be going out by the end of next week.

Let me know if you have any other questions." Being that two acceptances have been posted, I'm going to assume this is another no...

I already know I'm getting rejected for incomplete app at BGSU. I agree that the email response from the secretary does not sound encouraging. Not sure if they do many wait list notices, either. Best of luck on BGSU, Boulder, and Florida.

so in an attempt to lighten the mood of the thread please view both of these pieces-you will thank me, as I thanked my best friend for cheering me up:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/babymantis/the-truth-behind-duck-duck-goose-a-visual-gui-1opu

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/13-simple-steps-to-get-you-through-a-rough-day

so in an attempt to lighten the mood of the thread please view both of these pieces-you will thank me, as I thanked my best friend for cheering me up:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/babymantis/the-truth-behind-duck-duck-goose-a-visual-gui-1opu

Super cute, thanks!

AMAZING. I feel like I should have probably spaced these out to avoid eating a pint of ice cream later...

I think I'm the only one who has applied to Montana State's American Studies program in the history of thegradcafe, but in case I'm not...just got an email asking me to apply for RA and TA positions and saying that the application committee will meet at the end of March and notify in April of acceptance/rejection. The stipend for TAs is $8500/semester plus tuition remission for 6 hours a semester only, no stipend for RAs. 

I think that makes up my mind for me. Buffalo's fellowship, it is.

Edited by notaprettygrrrl

Anyone know when Washington State's American Studies program is going to finish notifying?  I know a few results have gone up on the board already.
I just got an email with an "Application Decision" subject line and gibberish in the body of the email. Nothing changed in the Zzusis site yet, though.

I just got an email with an "Application Decision" subject line and gibberish in the body of the email. Nothing changed in the Zzusis site yet, though.

The body of my email wasn't gibberish. It was a rejection letter with weird formatting. It read:

"Your application for admission to the Graduate School and your supportive records have been received and reviewed and we have consulted with the department in which you wish to study.  We regret to advise you that the department has informed us they will not be able to accept you as a graduate student in Doctor of Philosophy (American Studies).

The number of graduate applicants is continually growing larger; consequently, the competition for admission to the Graduate School becomes increasingly keen.

We sincerely appreciate your interest in Washington State University and hope that you will have the opportunity to continue your education at another institution.

Sincerely yours,

Nancy Magnuson

Vice President of Research and Dean of the Graduate School"

sorry kglad / notaprettygrrrl (assuming you're in the same boat but hopefully not)

this is the week that just won't end it seems for all of us

The body of my email wasn't gibberish. It was a rejection letter with weird formatting. It read:   "Your application for admission to the Graduate School and your supportive records have been received and reviewed and we have consulted with the department in which you wish to study.  We regret to advise you that the department has informed us they will not be able to accept you as a graduate student in Doctor of Philosophy (American Studies).   The number of graduate applicants is continually growing larger; consequently, the competition for admission to the Graduate School becomes increasingly keen.   We sincerely appreciate your interest in Washington State University and hope that you will have the opportunity to continue your education at another institution.   Sincerely yours,   Nancy Magnuson Vice President of Research and Dean of the Graduate School"
Weird...mine just says this: "------=_Part_21_2052294837.1362666259957 Co"

Weird...mine just says this: "------=_Part_21_2052294837.1362666259957 Co"

Mine had an image header and seemed to be embedded as an image/object, not as a normal email text. Maybe reply to them or contact tech support? Alternatively, try forwarding it to another email address (like from gmail to hotmail) and see if that helps?

Best of luck!

I applied to NYU for American Studies and have not been rejected or accepted. A lot of people are listing acceptances and rejections for the 2013 cycle already. Why haven't I ben notified of rejection? It seems that they have accepted who they intend to so it seems the rejections should be quick. Anyone have nay ideas? I received an offer of full funding from OSU's MA in WGSS including a stipend. I want to accept this offer but am waiting for my rejection letter from NYU before making a final decision.

Yay! I see another acceptance to SUNY Buffalo. Is it anyone on this board?! I've already sent my acceptance paperwork in, so I'd be excited to talk to whomever this is.

Mine had an image header and seemed to be embedded as an image/object, not as a normal email text. Maybe reply to them or contact tech support? Alternatively, try forwarding it to another email address (like from gmail to hotmail) and see if that helps?

Best of luck!

Thanks! Yeah, probably because I'm viewing it on my phone. Oh well.

I applied to NYU for American Studies and have not been rejected or accepted. A lot of people are listing acceptances and rejections for the 2013 cycle already. Why haven't I ben notified of rejection? It seems that they have accepted who they intend to so it seems the rejections should be quick. Anyone have nay ideas? I received an offer of full funding from OSU's MA in WGSS including a stipend. I want to accept this offer but am waiting for my rejection letter from NYU before making a final decision.

Have you seen rejections posted in the grad cafe results, or elsewhere? 

Have you seen rejections posted in the grad cafe results, or elsewhere? 

Hey, I think I saw a mention a day or two ago that they are still making decisions (including acceptances). Could be wrong, but maybe try scrolling back a page or two.