Am Studies/Cultural Studies/Theory 2013

Just for giggles, I went to a Magic 8 Ball websites and asked about admissions by university, with funding of course.

Here were the replies:

Penn State, yes, absolutely.

Washington State: my reply is no

U of Iowa: my reply is no

Purdue: most likely

U of Kansas: my sources say no

Indiana U: reply hazy, try again. second attempt resulted in my sources say no.

Bowling Green: I botched something in the app, so I didn't ask the 8 ball. I will be rejected.

Once the results are all in, I might come back and see how in/accurate that Magic 8 Ball website was.

Congrats to all recent acceptees and WLers!

Those few programs aside, why isn't anyone notifying yet?! It wouldn't be so torturous if it didn't seem like EVERY discipine other than AS started notifying already...

Thanks, notaprettygrrrl and phigirl! Here's hoping good news is coming. Hope the rest of the universities get some responses out soon.

and congrats, sidewalks and phigirl on your acceptance notices from GWU and SUNY Buffalo, respectively! Getting an acceptance is great news!

wasn't me on either GWU or SUNY. didn't apply to either of those programs, but here's to hoping I'll have something to be congratulated about soon! :D

So updates for USC people: I called today and they mentioned admission decisions will be going out by the end of the month. And I also see that some people have started hearing back from UC Davis Cultural Studies... anyone else hear any grumblings? 

A friend of mine was put on the alternate list for MTL.  She was told they made 5 offers, but does anyone have any insight on her chances of getting off the shortlist based on previous years?

i am not sure how that works. i know in previous years only a couple people were formally admitted into the program. i have plans to talk with Paula Moya soon to ask questions about the program. I can definitely see about the admissions process and available spots. i believe the recruitment event is scheduled for april 4th and 5th.

wasn't me on either GWU or SUNY. didn't apply to either of those programs, but here's to hoping I'll have something to be congratulated about soon! :D

Well there ya go! I didn't have enough coffee until recently and maybe I was just having a psychic moment. Hope that's true and you get accepted! Now I'm going to go see what the hell I *thought* I was trying to actually say... :huh:

In other news, Indiana University sent out their rejection emails today, or at least they sent the one to me. Sounds like they accepted 3 applicants and I wasn't one of them. Good luck to everyone one else who applied there. I really liked their program.

And the Magic 8 Ball was accurate about IU by the way. Spooky! :o

In other news, Indiana University sent out their rejection emails today, or at least they sent the one to me. Sounds like they accepted 3 applicants and I wasn't one of them. Good luck to everyone one else who applied there. I really liked their program.

And the Magic 8 Ball was accurate about IU by the way. Spooky! :o

I love the sentiment behind the Magic 8 Ball, but I must have the worst karma ever. I asked it about three programs and each time I got "maybe." No joke. I started asking other things just to see if it was a trick without other options. Nope. The universe must just want me to be in limbo.

So updates for USC people: I called today and they mentioned admission decisions will be going out by the end of the month. And I also see that some people have started hearing back from UC Davis Cultural Studies... anyone else hear any grumblings? 

Yeah, I saw that lone email rejection posted for UC Davis Cultural Studies. I haven't heard anything from them one way or the other. Would love to know who can claim that to see if they know any more info... 

I spied a Washington State University acceptance in the Results Page, too. Anyone claiming it?

Checked my application status at WSU site and my app status hasn't changed.

sent an email to UNC a few days ago, got a response a few moments ago with the unofficial rejection. Very kind of her to let me know so that I wouldn't have to sit around waiting, as she said my rejection letter will come around "eventually"

what's interesting is that I had worked with a prof in the dept. at my undergraduate so my former profs thought with their program being new and my contact, that I would stand a better chance. Clearly not so lucky

Edited by phigirl

I just got an email from Purdue with the rejection letter PDF attached. Bummer. Really liked their program and it's a nice university with great resources.  I guess I won't be moving to Indiana :mellow:

Thought I'd reply to those who wondered about Brown. I got an email saying that to check my application online, and they had added a "decision" section to my application with a letter from the Dean. I then got a call from the DGS and my POI. So thrilled! Good luck to everyone else as well :) 

i applied to brown too! and i also have nothing on the status page. congrats on those who got in! im just assuming no PhD for fall 2013. oh well.

what really bugs me is how UMD has replied to none of the letters I've sent! How rude! :angry:

Edited by tiarabun

I spied a Washington State University acceptance in the Results Page, too. Anyone claiming it?

Checked my application status at WSU site and my app status hasn't changed.

Hi, 

I am the WSU acceptance, I got the email a few days ago. I visited them two weeks ago--my interview must have went well. It was the only American Studies program I applied to. All of my other programs are in Communication. 

Good luck all!