Am Studies/Cultural Studies/Theory 2013

Congrats on the interview invitation! I didn't realize American Studies programs interviewed - I hope you'll let us know about it and keep us informed. Two hours sounds intense!

Hi! I posted the NYU interview. I basically received an email around 5pm (1/29) that said: "The admissions committee has reviewed your application and would like to invite you to a 20-minute Skype interview." "Congratulations" "Thank you for your app" etc. Now that I'm looking at it closer it doesn't say who I will be interviewing with just the "admissions committee" and I received the email from Raechel Bosh who's a grad prog. asst. There are two different time slots for 2 hours each that I have to choose from, not sure if that makes up the bulk of people they would be interviewing or if they have different times for different folks outside of what they listed for me.

I'll be emailing a prof. or two of mine just to get some interview tips since I've never gone through this process before, but hoping for the best since I only applied to such a small handful of schools.

Hope that helps and best of luck everyone!

Hi there! Why don't you tell us about yourself? Where have you applied?

I've never heard of interviews, but I'm also curious what the others know.

Hello community. This is my first post, but I've been lurking, checking, and refreshing this forum for quite some time. I have a question about the interview process. Do most American studies programs require an interview? What is the nature of these interviews? How does one prepare for these? Thanks and good luck to all.

Congrats on the interview invitation! I didn't realize American Studies programs interviewed - I hope you'll let us know about it and keep us informed. Two hours sounds intense!

Oh two hours would be terrible! No, the interviews are 20 minutes they just gave me two different time slots to choose from, each in two hour blocks.

Oh two hours would be terrible! No, the interviews are 20 minutes they just gave me two different time slots to choose from, each in two hour blocks.

20 minutes will fly by!!!!!!!!!!!! good luck!

for all those who are interested: talked to UNC, they said they are still reviewing apps and are starting to make decisions. If you haven't heard in a few weeks you should call. Maryland expects to notify in March.

also, as promised-Keepin' the Hope Alive

http://grooveshark.com/playlist/Keepin+The+Hope+Alive/82640459

Random question... is anyone else applying to Iowa? I was just lurking around the web and saw rumblings that their program might be getting cut. I really hope that's not the case!

Yes! I applied to Iowa. I'm sure the rejection letter is forthcoming... :ph34r:

Yes! I applied to Iowa. I'm sure the rejection letter is forthcoming... :ph34r:
Doubtful! Anyway, it looks like they don't notify admits until late February/early March. There are plenty of other places to stress about until show. ;)

Hi everyone! Happy to have found this thread....

For NYU's Amer Studies -- Is an interview an indicator of whether one got in or rejected from the program? Or at least that you are being seriously considered?

Stanford's MTL -- Any news on this? I've heard that only two people have been accepted in previous years ... the statistics are frightening T_T

USC's American Studies & Ethnicity -- Any news?

Michigan's American Culture -- ?

The suspense hurts.

Stanford's MTL -- Any news on this? I've heard that only two people have been accepted in previous years ... the statistics are frightening T_T

Program admin emailed me this morning -- decisions will be made by end of Feb. I agree those stats are frightening :( GOOD LUCK!

Program admin emailed me this morning -- decisions will be made by end of Feb. I agree those stats are frightening :( GOOD LUCK!

Thank you for the insight!

Good luck to you as well!

I always thought February to be a depressing month (valentine's)...graduate admissions has taken it to a whole new level....talk about heartbreaks :/ 

I talked with a friend who recently got his Ph.D. from UCLA...he gave some good advice I would like to share: Do not dwell on the rejections. We deserve to be in a program that supports us and the work we want to do. If a school did not see us a "good fit," then perhaps they did us a service.

I am not sure how to update the whole accepted/rejected list people seem to have below their comments...so here is mine:

accepted: uci, uc berkeley

no rejections....yet (though I anticipate a few already)

I am not sure how to update the whole accepted/rejected list people seem to have below their comments...so here is mine:

accepted: uci, uc berkeley

no rejections....yet (though I anticipate a few already)

Click on the little drop down menu at the top of the screen where your user name is, click on "My Profile" and then "Edit my Profile" and then edit your signature (listed on the left side). If you want to, that is :)

And congrats on your awesome acceptances!

Hi everyone! Happy to have found this thread....

For NYU's Amer Studies -- Is an interview an indicator of whether one got in or rejected from the program? Or at least that you are being seriously considered?

Congrats on the acceptances! I''m interviewing with NYU next Tues. and I imagine it means that you're being seriously considered. I've only seen one other 'results post' for NYU and that was an interview as well (you?) so if anyone has been accepted at this point they haven't put it in the results page or this forum.----my UCB Rhetoric status is still listed as "submitted" but crossing my fingers. and no word from UCD...so now I'm just obsessively checking..

Click on the little drop down menu at the top of the screen where your user name is, click on "My Profile" and then "Edit my Profile" and then edit your signature (listed on the left side). If you want to, that is :)

And congrats on your awesome acceptances!

Thank you!

Congrats on the acceptances! I''m interviewing with NYU next Tues. and I imagine it means that you're being seriously considered. I've only seen one other 'results post' for NYU and that was an interview as well (you?) so if anyone has been accepted at this point they haven't put it in the results page or this forum.----my UCB Rhetoric status is still listed as "submitted" but crossing my fingers. and no word from UCD...so now I'm just obsessively checking..

Ohh, no...it wasn't me, unfortunately. I was just asking to give me a better idea about where I stand...which I'm guessing is not very good lol

Congrats on the acceptances! I also heard from Berkeley, which made me a little less anxious about Stanford and NYU!

To clarify, by Berkeley I mean Ethnic Studies, not Rhetoric....sorry for the confusion! And congratulations on Rhetoric! I have a good friend in that program and he seems to really enjoy it.

Congrats!!!!!

Thanks!

To clarify, by Berkeley I mean Ethnic Studies, not Rhetoric....sorry for the confusion! And congratulations on Rhetoric! I have a good friend in that program and he seems to really enjoy it.

That's great! It's such a relief to finally hear from one, I hope everyone gets good news soon!

As we obsessively check the results boards and our emails, I'd be curious to hear what people's specific research interests are outside of (or in addition to) the "queer theory" "critical race studies" "poststructuralism" "Marxism" etc. kind of key words.

For me a lot of what I am interested in revolves around most of those key words ^ and specifically looking at U.S. security through very material forms like border walls, cameras, biometrics, etc. as well as expanding ideas of security to both include affect as a more or less security "technique" as well as linking security studies more closely with feminist science studies and how we interpret "the body" in relation to technologies. While my focus on this has been mostly in a post-9/11 context (spec. with airport full-body scanners), I want to move into the 19th/20th century a bit more a look more closely at immigration policy/tactics. [That would be a very broad idea of what I want to study]

And good luck again to everybody :D

As we obsessively check the results boards and our emails, I'd be curious to hear what people's specific research interests are outside of (or in addition to) the "queer theory" "critical race studies" "poststructuralism" "Marxism" etc. kind of key words.

For me a lot of what I am interested in revolves around most of those key words ^ and specifically looking at U.S. security through very material forms like border walls, cameras, biometrics, etc. as well as expanding ideas of security to both include affect as a more or less security "technique" as well as linking security studies more closely with feminist science studies and how we interpret "the body" in relation to technologies. While my focus on this has been mostly in a post-9/11 context (spec. with airport full-body scanners), I want to move into the 19th/20th century a bit more a look more closely at immigration policy/tactics. [That would be a very broad idea of what I want to study]

And good luck again to everybody :D

Such a good question!

In short, I am interested in studying the interpretation/repurposing of historical events and canonical works in modern culture, especially film/television and literature. This grew from an interest in memory studies, particularly commemoration of World Wars I and II. My M.A. thesis, however, was a study in how television programming choices reflected cultural and historical shifts that occured over the late 20th and early 21st centuries. Those are really my primary areas of focus, and I'm hoping to expand into gender and ethnic studies within those contexts in my PhD.

I'd love to hear what others' interests as well. :)