Am Studies/Cultural Studies/Theory 2013

Is it just me, or do the vast majority of American Studies programs not notify until mid-February? Still no word from Minnesota, so I'm starting to worry about that one.

It seems like Minnesota is late January for people who are initially accepted (I'm kinda stressing that one, too), late Jan-Feb for Michigan, and mid-late Feb others.

If I could just hear from one place I applied I'd be happy to wait 2, 3, 4 months for all the rest. Minnesota is the first to notify of my apps, but there's 2 more that are early-mid February and the rest late February to early March

I'm fairly certain my fiancée is going to cut me off from the Internet to save my sanity if it takes a whole lot longer for the first response...

Exactly, though it would help to have the first one be an acceptance... I spent a TON of time really focusing in on the programs that are the best fit for my interests, so if I get into just one it will be a win. If I start off with a rejection don't think it will bode well for my chances elsewhere.

Blerg. I'm equally concerned about the radio-silence from Minnesota. Dare I ask: anyone have updates on their application? 

sorry-I was reading the forum on my phone yesterday and didn't even see your post! I've got nothing on my end, but I can assure you as soon as I get any response and I stop sweating bullets and having dreams about getting emails from the programs I'll let everyone in here know. where else did you apply adventurous?

sorry-I was reading the forum on my phone yesterday and didn't even see your post! I've got nothing on my end, but I can assure you as soon as I get any response and I stop sweating bullets and having dreams about getting emails from the programs I'll let everyone in here know. where else did you apply adventurous?

Same here! I'm not sure how I even missed that one. Nothing for me either, but I'll also definitely be posting as soon as I hear.

Edited by arhodg

When I talked to Harvard GSAS last week they said the last letters would go out March 15 but that we could hear sooner. I'm doubting we'll hear from them before late Feb.

Harvard seems to notify at the end of Feb. I wish they could do things a little sooner. All I know is that they are doing their visit during March around midterms.

Can you tell me if you know this from being invited? If so, I am bummed. You are referring to Amer Studies right? (Your program is listed as Urban Ed, so just checking.)  :)

PhD when in March? (no longer in undergrad, perception of semester timeline is gone...)

Spring break is March 17-23

Can you tell me if you know this from being invited? If so, I am bummed. You are referring to Amer Studies right? (Your program is listed as Urban Ed, so just checking.)  :)

No! Not yet. lol They announce at the end of Feb. The coordinator was talking to me about the visit week and the events, etc. Exciting!!!!

Spring break is March 17-23

No! Not yet. lol They announce at the end of Feb. The coordinator was talking to me about the visit week and the events, etc. Exciting!!!!

Thanks, that's a relief. We now return to our regular spazzing out...

Heard back from UCLA. Nope :(

Sadness....

Sorry to hear that, but you still have lots to go! Good luck!

Re, Minnesota: I am getting desperate. There's no harm in calling and asking when decisions will be made, is there?

I also have a bad feeling about MN. Looking at the historical program statistics, as a female applicant I have a (theoretically) 1 in 5 chance of acceptance and I'm right in line with GRE scores. However, for the past 2 years of posted statistics, ZERO applicants with UMN as "institution of previous degree" have matriculated, where 5 applicants matriculated with degrees from other US institutions. Then again, at admission (if I'm admitted) my previous degree will be from Saint Mary's U, where I earned a BS Business. I won't technically finish my MLS from UMN until August 2013.

Numbers, they make me crazy even as they inform.

In other PhD Am St news, the only contact I've had from programs has been to inquire about my LoR, which were late (all in and ok now) and an email yesterday asking for my writing sample "if I still want to be considered", which was sent Dec 21 and for which I received a confirmation email from dept on December 27. *sigh* I re-sent it with a (gently-worded) reminder that this was sent/received on time. Admins have it hard, they don't need to be yelled at by me even if I am freaking out.

Hopefully we all get into the dream programs we want and hear responses soon. ^_^