Am Studies/Cultural Studies/Theory 2013

Univ. of Minnesota wait listed me for the Amer. Studies program, although I am "currently quite high on the waiting list." Anyone have advice on how to proceed with that? A friend told me to basically keep in contact with them/write a letter or two, etc.

Is anyone still applying to programs? I only applied to a handful of schools and am applying to Rutgers W&G Studies M.A. program in March if I don't get any acceptances by the due date.

Congratulations ahaidaris! Definitely keep in touch and continue to show interest; maybe give them an update on anything new you've been up to since you applied? If you don't mind my asking, when/how were you notified? I also applied to UMinn and have been obsessively checking my application status for updates. I still have to submit my BGSU app, but I'll be doing that regardless of what/if I hear before the deadline. I'm also considering the "special student" program at Northeastern's English Department, but there is no funding for first years.

Yes, ahaidaris, I'm also curious about how you heard, etc. Would you mind sharing the details, or have you already posted in the results?

Univ. of Minnesota wait listed me for the Amer. Studies program, although I am "currently quite high on the waiting list."

I forgot to mention this on this forum: accepted to OSU's Comparative Studies department. Nominated for University Fellowship!

Congrats!!!

Yes, I'm also interested to hear the details of your wait-list to Minnesota. Nothing has changed on my application at all...

Anyone hear anything from Harvard, Yale, or NYU????

talked to Harvard on Friday (email address needed changing...gee thanks undergrad for changing our addresses NOW) they said that the last letters will leave GSAS on March 15, but we may hear sooner. I suppose that's better than nothing

talked to Harvard on Friday (email address needed changing...gee thanks undergrad for changing our addresses NOW) they said that the last letters will leave GSAS on March 15, but we may hear sooner. I suppose that's better than nothing

Thanks! Last year they sent out letters at the end of Feb. Here's hoping its sooner!

Congratulations blucCheese!  I graduated in 2010 from Comp Studies with my BA.  I know a lot of the faculty (all of my recommendation writers had either full or partial appointment in Comp Studies).  What are you going to be studying/do you know who your adviser would be?

I really loved the comparative studies department, it felt more like a "home" to me than my other major, Russian Language and Literature.

Thanks! 

The program looks great!

In short: I'm studying queer studies, medical discourse and literature. I'm hoping to work with: Shannon Winnubst, Eugene Holland, etc.

Do you have any suggestions with regard to faculty I should (/must) work with?

Thanks! 

The program looks great!

In short: I'm studying queer studies, medical discourse and literature. I'm hoping to work with: Shannon Winnubst, Eugene Holland, etc.

Do you have any suggestions with regard to faculty I should (/must) work with?

Super jelly. Both names are bosses regarding Bataille...

anyone else feel like it should be illegal to receive email as long as we're still waiting to hear? I'm finding alumni association emails at least twice as irritating as usual...

anyone else feel like it should be illegal to receive email as long as we're still waiting to hear? I'm finding alumni association emails at least twice as irritating as usual...

Seriously... I got a lecture from my boyfriend this morning because everytime he walks by my computer I have some form of status update site open. It is definitely distracting me from finishing up this last SOP... :-/

Seriously... I got a lecture from my boyfriend this morning because everytime he walks by my computer I have some form of status update site open. It is definitely distracting me from finishing up this last SOP... :-/

I suppose that's better than me. I'm at work and I have the results search open, this thread open, and my ApplyWeb login page open in addition to work related stuff

Congratulations ahaidaris! Definitely keep in touch and continue to show interest; maybe give them an update on anything new you've been up to since you applied? If you don't mind my asking, when/how were you notified? I also applied to UMinn and have been obsessively checking my application status for updates. I still have to submit my BGSU app, but I'll be doing that regardless of what/if I hear before the deadline. I'm also considering the "special student" program at Northeastern's English Department, but there is no funding for first years.

thanks! I received an email from the department on Friday (1/18) notifying me that they finished their admissions processes and that I'm "quite high on the waiting list" Otherwise it just stated that the application was strong, however they're facing budget circumstances and are forced to admit "far fewer students than we would like" and that there is a distinct possibility that a spot will open up for me, so I'm definitely staying in contact with them. And logging into the UMinn app page lists "awaiting program decision"---Hope that helps and best of luck everybody.