Am Studies/Cultural Studies/Theory 2013

Haven't applied to BGSU yet, working on that today/tomorrow to submit this weekend, whether I get a miracle acceptance notification today or not. I like BGSU's commitment to cross-departmental collaboration in their American Studies program and think it would be a great fit.

woah the forum got active last night-suppose that's what I get for going to bed early!

PhDreams-so sorry about UCLA, but that just means you'll get even better news from Harvard, Yale, NYU-or all of them!!

I don't have feelings either way about Minnesota per se, I'm just spazzing out and wishing we all knew. Keeping the hope alive over here!

Ugh. Sorry - what a way to start off the results season. I hope you hear good news soon!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!! :D

Sorry to hear that, but you still have lots to go! Good luck!

7 more to go! Crossing my fingers!

woah the forum got active last night-suppose that's what I get for going to bed early!

PhDreams-so sorry about UCLA, but that just means you'll get even better news from Harvard, Yale, NYU-or all of them!!

Awwwwwwww.... me toooooo! Crossing my fingers for Harvard. Seriously...

In case anyone is interested in the progress Washington State is making on their American Studies applicants...

I just called because I noticed something was weird w/ my transcripts (they arrived before my application so they weren't connected).  After working this out with the admissions department I called the Department of Critical Culture, Gender and Race to inform them of the issue and that it had been fixed.  The woman on the phone was very nice and told me that my file wasn't there so someone was looking at it (exciting! - hopefully) and asked me to e-mail her my CV or resume b/c they are using that to narrow down choices...I guess they didn't ask for it initially (I don't remember).

Feeding the curiosity-machine.

In Minnesota news, my ApplyOnline status just changed (at some point since I last checked around noon, yes, I'm officially obsessed) to "Final review." Any other Minnesota applicants notice something similar?

In case anyone is interested in the progress Washington State is making on their American Studies applicants...

I just called because I noticed something was weird w/ my transcripts (they arrived before my application so they weren't connected).  After working this out with the admissions department I called the Department of Critical Culture, Gender and Race to inform them of the issue and that it had been fixed.  The woman on the phone was very nice and told me that my file wasn't there so someone was looking at it (exciting! - hopefully) and asked me to e-mail her my CV or resume b/c they are using that to narrow down choices...I guess they didn't ask for it initially (I don't remember).

Ah! How exciting for you! Hope good things come from your file being looked at! 

arglooblaha, thanks for sharing the info! They asked for my CV too, and I thought I had just overlooked something and forgotten to send it--even though I'm OCD about this whole thing... I'll cross my fingers for us both!!

In Minnesota news, my ApplyOnline status just changed (at some point since I last checked around noon, yes, I'm officially obsessed) to "Final review." Any other Minnesota applicants notice something similar?

My app is still the same, but I'm just as obsessed, so I'll be sure to post the minute it changes. ; )

My MN application also says "Final Review." I am not optimistic... but I think I might get accepted by one or two of the universities. Funding, though, could be tough.

My MN application also says "Final Review." I am not optimistic... but I think I might get accepted by one or two of the universities. Funding, though, could be tough.
What makes you not optimistic, kglad? You're at Minnesota now, right? I figure you might have some inside info ;)

What makes you not optimistic, kglad? You're at Minnesota now, right? I figure you might have some inside info ;)

arhodg, statistically my chances are not good at UMN. Then again, I worry over minor things. I didn't get any inside info, I got general information like how to choose POI and so forth. Same kinds of things I'm learning here, only during a discussion with a professor. Here's hoping, though!

While the waiting continues, I'm working on my BGSU application. I'm just getting ready to pay the application fee and start loading documents into the second, departmental application. What a weird and cumbersome two-step application process they have!

Arhodg- I chose upload, too, and hopefully will get the email with instructions. If it doesn't show by Monday, I will email the documents like you did. Already paid, might as well make sure the application gets completed.

Which track did you pick at BGSU? I had a hard time choosing, since both *could* work well for my research topic, but from different approaches. I ended up choosing Ethnicity, Gender, and Social Identities. I would take a Film Studies Minor with that.

Kglad, let me know if you ever get that email. It never came through for me, and I'm wondering if it was a system issue or just something off on my end. I had the exact same issue pickung a track; your solutionwas a good one! Ultimately, Critical Studies in Media, Film, and Culture was a better fit with my interests and the cross-listed faculty I would like to work with, so I went that route. I can't believe we could hear back as early as two weeks from now! Here's hoping for quick, good news!

Arhodg- I got email notifications from BGSU almost immediately.

First email: 12:54 PM. Automated notification of payment received. From "choosebgsu"

Second email: 12:55 PM. Automated notification of initial grad school application completion and that I had to do additional documents for the program. From BGSU Office of Admissions.

Third email: 1:14 PM. Automated notification of upload instructions with link and document requirements for the American Culture Studies program. From Andrew M. Schocket.

I just submitted the documents a short while ago. I really tweaked my "base" statement to reflect my goals and interests in the unique BGSU program.

Maybe there's something up with me then! I got the first two (really quickly), but not the third. I did reply yo the department response to let them know my recommenders mailed their letters a few weeks ago, which I got a response to, so maybe I threw the system off? Thanks for the detail, though! And good luck!

thanks! I received an email from the department on Friday (1/18) notifying me that they finished their admissions processes and that I'm "quite high on the waiting list" Otherwise it just stated that the application was strong, however they're facing budget circumstances and are forced to admit "far fewer students than we would like" and that there is a distinct possibility that a spot will open up for me, so I'm definitely staying in contact with them. And logging into the UMinn app page lists "awaiting program decision"---Hope that helps and best of luck everybody.

I was also waitlisted at U Minn AMST and that I'm "quite high on the waiting list". Don't know what that means, but sounds like great news. 

Welcome spatel918! For those of us still waiting to hear from Minnesota, when did you hear about it and has your status changed on the site? Thanks in advance for indulging those of us waiting not so patiently. ;)