HGSE Fall 2013

Coloradogirl

I want to say that I would expect better from Harvard...ugh come on. This is ridiculous!

I mean, it's not close to the latest they promised us. I bet they let us know in the next week.

Hahahaha CQE!  Love the parody.  Well done.  Ugh.  Another day passes newsless.  No financial aid.  No grad assistantship.  No acceptances or rejections.   Fail.  

ty, ty

LOL

Glad somebody liked it. :lol:

Edited by CQE

I know that at least a few admitted EDLD candidates were notified today with phone calls from professors.That must be an amazing phone call to receive. Perhaps they will notify Masters students in the next week or two.

Yeah, "next week or two" - not exactly music to our ears. 

Let me spin this: They've been holding masters notifications until all the doctoral students had their decisions. Now that the Ed.D. and Ed.L.D. decisions are out, they can release masters decisions. Tomorrow. Maybe. I hope.

Is anyone here applying for the Zuckerman Fellowship? I was accepted last year and they agreed to place my admission on hold for a year, so right now I am spending my time trying to figure out how to fund this really expensive year in Cambridge.  

Negging other people for no reason, while also upping your own posts...LOL.

You go, girl!

I thought we were past the awkward turtle phase in this thread. lol

I do think tomorrow late afternoon is a big contender, if only because it's a Friday! Give us the weekend to simmer down.

Remember how I said I'd be jamming to Birdy upon receiving my admission decision?

Yeah, well, if I find out tomorrow...I gotta crank up the Rebecca Black.

Remember how I said I'd be jamming to Birdy upon receiving my admission decision?

Yeah, well, if I find out tomorrow...I gotta crank up the Rebecca Black.

You should probably change your avatar to Ms. Black then. (is that song really TWO YEARS OLD? was it really so quickly supplanted by Call Me Maybe and Somebody that I Used to Know? what will be this year's big thing?) 

I'm with you, OhLaLaSam. Considering almost all of the other schools have notified candidates, this looks pretty poor on HGSE's part. Couple that with the standard "March 25" response when we know the visit weekend is the week after that and it's pretty ridiculous. People would like to know so they can get on with their lives, make decisions, book travel, etc. They've had two months already, why do they need another week? </rant>

Sigh. I'm sorry, it's been a long week.

Maybe they really haven't made all the final decisions?  Ugh.  So you ever have that moment where you finally move on and that's when you get what you thought you really wanted?  I was just told I'm a shoo-in for what was my dream job before I decided I wanted to leave for graduate school.  Like I needed one more thing to figure out!!!  

Now I'm sitting here thinking is it stupid to pass up a great job to take out a bunch of loans for a career path that I don't know for sure is going to get me anywhere?  

Maybe they really haven't made all the final decisions?  Ugh.  So you ever have that moment where you finally move on and that's when you get what you thought you really wanted?  I was just told I'm a shoo-in for what was my dream job before I decided I wanted to leave for graduate school.  Like I needed one more thing to figure out!!!  

Now I'm sitting here thinking is it stupid to pass up a great job to take out a bunch of loans for a career path that I don't know for sure is going to get me anywhere?  

I feel for you. That is a really tough decision.

I think one of the biggest reasons we all go to graduate school is so we can put ourselves in the position to get our dream job/jobs. Is there a chance the job could be there for you in a year when you get back? Or will it get filled and you would almost certainly not receive that offer again? 

Also, is this actually your dream job or could you get better, dreamier (hehe) opportunities with your new master's degree? I would really decide if that job is ultimately what you want. If so, it would be hard to turn down. Otherwise, join us in debt in grad school!!!

You should probably change your avatar to Ms. Black then. (is that song really TWO YEARS OLD? was it really so quickly supplanted by Call Me Maybe and Somebody that I Used to Know? what will be this year's big thing?) 

And gosh.. "Somebody I used to know" is a terrible song. I really liked it when it first came out, but overplaying it for months (and now years) became incredibly tiresome.

Btw, I turned down UCLA and Boston University today. I think I'm also about to turn UVA down. It feels really bizarre to shut the door on those opportunities. A few months ago, I would have been ecstatic to receive acceptances from them and attend their programs. At least it opens up a spot for those on the waitlist.

Well the dream job is just teaching at the school I've wanted a full time position in for five years.  I've been on a semester to semester basis there every year but one, when I taught in a charter school.  Now my boss is leaving and they are filling her space from within the department... leaving a vacancy.  I was just told about it.  

But I'd be going to graduate school for ed policy and I'd really like to get more into the political end of education and do/analyze research and write books about it.  I always figured that I wouldn't lose my teaching credentials by gaining more degrees so I could always go back... and if after a year or two (depending where I go to school :) ) I want to go back, there would always be a chance of another vacancy not taking 5 years to open.  So I think school is still a clear victor here.  Just funny how the second you move on, something comes back around to taunt you.  

Done!

I loved "Somebody that I Used to Know" before it blew up and was overplayed.

"Call Me Maybe" was always awful, though.

ASzofer, totally feel you, totally in the same spot currently. I got tapped last week for a fellowship that I absolutely did not think would be a possibility at this point in the game. As of now, where I'm at is that of the other schools I'm looking at, the job is winner, but Harvard would be worth the drop and run. I'm sort of inclined to think that "school will always be there" but hey, getting into Harvard one year doesn't necessarily mean you will the next. And as awesome as the job is, at the end of the day it's the not only place with this specific job. I think I'm just dazzled by the idea that someone thinks I'm a great fit for exactly what I want to do with my life.......but then again, I can only hope that HGSE sees that in me, too!