HGSE Fall 2013

Coloradogirl

Does anyone know the competitiveness between SUSE POLS and HGSE Higher Ed? I got the wonderful rejection email from SUSE earlier today and was just wondering if its a precursor of things to come? Hopefully not.. :rolleyes: 

And a sincere congrats to all those lovely people who got in. :D

Does anyone know the competitiveness between SUSE POLS and HGSE Higher Ed? I got the wonderful rejection email from SUSE earlier today and was just wondering if its a precursor of things to come? Hopefully not.. :rolleyes:

And a sincere congrats to all those lovely people who got in. :D

I was looking at the threads from last year and there were definitely some that got rejected from POLS but got into HGSE. I would not give up hope. I fully expected to be rejected from POLS as well and hope that my HGSE isn't a rejection...

Plus, every school is looking for something a little different. You may not have caught the eye of Stanford, but maybe that's because you're more of a Harvard person :). Good luck with the rest of your application season!

As for admission statistics... Hmm. We know HGSE doesn't publish their acceptance statistics per program, but you can sort of figure out a rough estimate if you know how many people are in a particular program's average cohort.

http://www.petersons.com/graduate-schools/harvard-university-graduate-school-of-education-000_10030486.aspx

That idea - not the calculation, mind! - is as far as I've gotten. :P

Off the top of my head, the larger cohorts include AIE and TIE (both around 40). Other big cohorts? Higher ed is smaller, I think EPM is smaller (might be wrong there, idk).

Edited by merrysoprano

As for admission statistics... Hmm. We know HGSE doesn't publish their acceptance statistics per program, but you can sort of figure out a rough estimate if you know how many people are in a particular program's average cohort.

http://www.petersons.com/graduate-schools/harvard-university-graduate-school-of-education-000_10030486.aspx

Off the top of my head, the larger cohorts include AIE and TIE (both around 40). Other big cohorts? Higher ed is smaller, I think EPM is smaller (might be wrong there, idk).

In conversation with an admissions rep a couple months ago, she confirmed that EPM is actually one of their larger programs (not by much though). She also REALLY stressed that the reason they don't publish program specific acceptance rates is because they try to keep total applicant pool in mind - one program one year might have a really strong pool so they'll take more there, but less in another program, etc. and consequently it varies from program to program, year to year. It seems that this is their way of ensuring "quality control" across the programs instead of one program being really competitive and another being known for weaker cohorts, etc.

She did say that despite the larger size, EPM comes out a little more competitive (along with Higher Ed) because it's also one of their higher applied to programs.

Anyone else already trying to figure out how to stall life for a year and reapply if they don't get in? (after all these weeks, I still don't feel good at all about my SOP which is probably the key sign that bad news is coming). 

I've been constantly plagued with thoughts that I should have sent in my first semester grades (great ones in my discipline) after the deadline so that they know I'm competent (feeling good about every part of my application except my ok GPA).  Can someone please assure me that 1. it won't matter or 2. I wouldn't be allowed to send them in anyway, even if it's a lie??

Chances are your GPA will be ok, just look at the results from past years. There are people just above a 3.0 that got admitted, and there are people with a 4.0 that got rejected.

I've been constantly plagued with thoughts that I should have sent in my first semester grades (great ones in my discipline) after the deadline so that they know I'm competent (feeling good about every part of my application except my ok GPA).  Can someone please assure me that 1. it won't matter or 2. I wouldn't be allowed to send them in anyway, even if it's a lie??

I wanted to send an update too, and they said it probably wouldn't get looked at.

In conversation with an admissions rep a couple months ago, she confirmed that EPM is actually one of their larger programs (not by much though). She also REALLY stressed that the reason they don't publish program specific acceptance rates is because they try to keep total applicant pool in mind - one program one year might have a really strong pool so they'll take more there, but less in another program, etc. and consequently it varies from program to program, year to year. It seems that this is their way of ensuring "quality control" across the programs instead of one program being really competitive and another being known for weaker cohorts, etc.

She did say that despite the larger size, EPM comes out a little more competitive (along with Higher Ed) because it's also one of their higher applied to programs.

Anyone else already trying to figure out how to stall life for a year and reapply if they don't get in? (after all these weeks, I still don't feel good at all about my SOP which is probably the key sign that bad news is coming). 

Great insights, sunshinegrl! Well, we will just have to keep our collective fingers crossed. ;)

I think my cohort this year in Higher Ed is close to 40. Though to be fair I can't recall how many of those are part timers who happened to be in the required classes with us.

EDIT: And good luck again everyone! Hope it comes next week so you aren't all waiting much longer!

Edited by DanMcD

My cohort is probably really small (PSP, M.Ed.) given that I haven't seen one other prospective PSPer post here (to my knowledge, at least).

When I looked at the HGSE threads from the past two years, I don't remember seeing too many of "my kind," either. Oh well, lol.

Edited by CQE

I think my cohort this year in Higher Ed is close to 40. Though to be fair I can't recall how many of those are part timers who happened to be in the required classes with us.

EDIT: And good luck again everyone! Hope it comes next week so you aren't all waiting much longer!

Yep ...the biggest cohorts are officially EPM and IEP..followed probably by Higher Ed and AIE ?(which just got increased last year) is my guess.

Yep ...the biggest cohorts are officially EPM and IEP..followed probably by Higher Ed and AIE ?(which just got increased last year) is my guess.

Any idea of the size of PSP, typically? As well as the acceptance rate?

Chances are your GPA will be ok, just look at the results from past years. There are people just above a 3.0 that got admitted, and there are people with a 4.0 that got rejected.

I wanted to send an update too, and they said it probably wouldn't get looked at.

Ugh, thank you.  I feel a reassured.  I'm hoping that my resume (excellent for an undergrad, if I do say so myself), SOP, and LoR are enough to pull up my GPA.  Glad I found people who understand my pointless worry...my friends keep rolling their eyes as I repeat my HGSE countdown.  

Echoing merrysoprano: we're all crazy, but proud of it :). It just means we care. That's what makes us good educators! I'm so thankful that we have GC. You guys have calmed me down and made me feel better throughout this entire process (and I'm sure will help when it comes down to decision time. Eek!) *warm, fuzzy feelings*

Echoing merrysoprano: we're all crazy, but proud of it :). It just means we care. That's what makes us good educators! I'm so thankful that we have GC. You guys have calmed me down and made me feel better throughout this entire process (and I'm sure will help when it comes down to decision time. Eek!) *warm, fuzzy feelings*

I totally agree!  I get excited to see what others on here are posting because people in my real life don't exactly care about this and don't understand how jittery I am trying to get things straightened out!  At least we should know soon! 

(Hopefully) 5 days until we get the news...

I'm glad I don't have any more tests between now and decision day. I can't take it anymore!!!

I just hope I'm in the proper setting when I found out because I'm going to react in one of two ways:

Accepted:

55551679_rage_gif.gif

Rejected: 

rage-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-27

Edited by CQE

Nice CQE.

Does anybody know when the accepted masters students days will be?

I stalked HGSE threads from the last few years and it looks like it was the thirdish weekend in March last year. Maybe I'm misremembering though?

Hahaha Literal Laugh Out Loud CQE.  And oh Stephen Colbert... how much I love thee.  

MTE, ASzofer!