Applications for the IHEID / The Graduate Institute in Geneva - 2013-2014

Lud

What's your degree ganenjie? I don't know about these grades you're talking about but I can say that when it comes to PhD admission grades aren't always the most important thing; what matters possibly more would your actual research on particular topics, your grades on specific topics related to your project proposal and the relevancy of your approach given the department you apply to.

Guys!

Anyone else from the first round still waiting for admissions decision? I'm still under consideration so a bit anxious about today's outcome. Good luck to everyone!

still under consideration too, IR/PS... checking every 5 minutes ;)

Regarding the grades:

The grades here, especially in the disciplinary departments, really are strange, and I was also worried about that at the beginning. However, you will usually send in your original transcript, since most schools do not expect you to send in the conversion. I have heard that most schools will know about Swiss grading, and IHEID grading, where a 5.25 often equals an American A, I would say. In addition, this is something where LORs can play an important role. Grade conversion of the Swiss system is a mess anyway, but IHEID is sufficiently well-known in a lot of universities, I think, that this grade difference is not that important. I'd say that the name would actually help you, and most schools in the US do know about European/Swiss grading. At IHEID, you usually need an average of 5 or higher to transition seemlessly into the PhD. That's similar for other schools, I expect.

My application will be reassessed in the second round..got tired of waiting

Mine too, I'm already a nerve wreck, and I doubt it will be different in March. Glad to see that others are in the same situation, and hey, at least we weren't refused...

Edited by zicu

@Lud: I'm doing DevStudies, how about you? Yea, I agree that grades aren't the most important part, but one can't overlook them either. My undergraduate GPA is quite high and I don't want the graduate GPA to appear lower (even though it's not, just different systems and weird conversion scale)

@Toni: Thanks for your reply! If possible, can I ask about the situation with financial renewal for 2nd year of study at the Institute? Is it easy or difficult or somewhere in the middle?

Hello lecorbeau:

Could you tell us more about the scholarship requirements? Do I have a chance to get one although I'm a German citizen?

And how are the chances to get a part-time-job? Is it manageable next to the intensive studies?

My parents will not be able to help me financially, so for me my decision to take the offer will depend on the allowance.

I am currently in the MIA program, and would be happy to answer questions...

Hi lecorbeau, thanks for stopping by!

In case you might now have any insight into the application process, I do have a question for you. Like many others, my MIA app has been pushed from the 1st (early) to the 2nd (regular) admission round.

What do you think are the chances of people in my situation?

Does it ( A ) mean that people who did not get rejected will likely get in during the 2nd round, unless some really extraordinary people show up

or

( B ) Does it simply mean that we will have the same exact position as anyone else applying to 2nd round... but then again, if we were weak candidates to begin with, wouldn't we just get rejected right away?

So anxious...... :(

Edited by Homelesss

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everybody,

I'm on the final track applying to the MDEV at IHEID. Polishing my SOP and scholarship application and sending it on Monday...

I was wondering how did you put your scholarship applications? I'm trying not to repeat my SOP, but explaining that I simply don't have money and come from a poor country seems like overshooting... How long did you make yours?

Good luck everybody!

Hey all, I think you're all asking questions that are, frankly, above my pay-grade.

However, with regard to working part-time, I know plenty of students that manage jobs and school just fine and if they can do it so can you. In fact I myself am looking to get a part-time job in Geneva but non-EU citizens have to wait 6 months before they are legally able to start working in CH, which wouldn't apply to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I think you're all asking questions that are, frankly, above my pay-grade.

However, with regard to working part-time, I know plenty of students that manage jobs and school just fine and if they can do it so can you. In fact I myself am looking to get a part-time job in Geneva but non-EU citizens have to wait 6 months before they are legally able to start working in CH, which wouldn't apply to you.

Hey Iecorbeau thanks for answering questions here! It's great to hear from someone already at IHEID.

Can you comment on the exchange program partner schools, like the most popular ones and which schools MDev majors tend to go? I personally guess the most popular ones are Elliot and Fletcher, are they? Thanks :)

Hey Iecorbeau thanks for answering questions here! It's great to hear from someone already at IHEID.

Can you comment on the exchange program partner schools, like the most popular ones and which schools MDev majors tend to go? I personally guess the most popular ones are Elliot and Fletcher, are they? Thanks :)

The US schools are nigh impossible to get into. You're competing with the entire school for very few spots and the vast majority of students are looking to spend their exchange semester in the States.

In fact, MDev students often opt for our partner schools in developing countries (i.e., India, Indonesia, among others) to do field-work in preparation for their thesis. 

The US schools are nigh impossible to get into. You're competing with the entire school for very few spots and the vast majority of students are looking to spend their exchange semester in the States.

In fact, MDev students often opt for our partner schools in developing countries (i.e., India, Indonesia, among others) to do field-work in preparation for their thesis. 

Lol, I was thinking it would be nice to have a semester back in states, but didn't realize its this competitive.

That makes sense, I am also thinking about China.

Thanks a lot!

Also, if you're a US citizen and/or went to school in the States, they usually don't let you go back for an exchange, or so I've heard. I definitely wouldn't attend IHEID just so you can go to one of the US partner schools, spots are too scarce for that!

Also, if you're a US citizen and/or went to school in the States, they usually don't let you go back for an exchange, or so I've heard. I definitely wouldn't attend IHEID just so you can go to one of the US partner schools, spots are too scarce for that!

That makes sense :) Thanks

Oh another one, sorry for asking many questions! I promise it's not academic stuff. Any good chinese, japanese, thai, or ethiopian food around campus/in the city? Thanks in advance!

That makes sense :) Thanks

Oh another one, sorry for asking many questions! I promise it's not academic stuff. Any good chinese, japanese, thai, or ethiopian food around campus/in the city? Thanks in advance!

No, unless you want to pay $40+ per person.

Hope that answers your question! :)