PhD in Public Health

erzsi83

Glad all you policy people are getting decisions, I wonder why it takes the epi people longer.  I wasn't under the impression that the app deadlines were any different, at least at UNC.

Congrats everyone on interviews and acceptances! Health Behavior programs tend to take a long time too! Every department is different depending on how much funding they have, prof. schedules etc...the waiting sucks but hopefully the next couple of weeks will have some good news 

Wow! So exciting to hear of so much success! I hope it's ... infectious! (hahaha) I think for Epi, especially at UNC, there are so many possible subspecialties and potential faculty connections that there's mordent considernthan just applicant qualifications. Research focus and fit, fit, fit are really vital. Doesn't make the waiting any easier for me, though, especially since they got a big wave of decisions out this week in 2011 and 2012. I can be less antsy about MCH at this moment since last year's decisions didn't really start until 2/15. If I've got nothing by President's Day weekend, though, I might be a little less OK. I've got a house to sell, hopefully one to buy, kids to transition, and a whole lot of stuff to square away in as much time as they'll give me between now (please? Now?) and the start of the academic year!

Congratulations, elsewhy! How exciting! When did you interview with them (I interviewed for Health Services Research).

May I ask which interviews you have next week?

Thank you!!!! I never actually interviewed with them in person, just spoke with the program director over the phone a couple of weeks ago.

Next week I'm interviewing with Emory and Yale (Health Policy & Management at both). I feel like I should be less nervous now, but I'm really not!

Thank you!!!! I never actually interviewed with them in person, just spoke with the program director over the phone a couple of weeks ago.

Next week I'm interviewing with Emory and Yale (Health Policy & Management at both). I feel like I should be less nervous now, but I'm really not!

Super exciting news about Hopkins! Are they your top choice or are you waiting to compare with other offers?

Super exciting news about Hopkins! Are they your top choice or are you waiting to compare with other offers?

I don't really have a top choice yet! There are different things that I love about all of the programs I applied to, so I think I'll need to visit and meet faculty before I can commit anywhere.  And of course I will need to see about funding!

Haha yes - the next big question: FUNDING!! I know where I want to go already, but funding is an interesting puzzle piece. Have any of your schools notified you of funding with your acceptance? Both of mine said that they won't know funding for a while yet.

Sorry about the typos in my last post! Yikes on the autocorrect!

So, I had class tonight and my advisor asked me to stay after. She wants me to send an abstract for my thesis to APHA for consideration for October's meeting/conference. Sort of makes me feel like maybe there's life after a rejection or two if I don't get into the programs I applied to ... unless APHA rejects me too!

Edited by MammaD

That's great. I wish I could go to APHA, one of my profs raves about their job fair. But the last meeting was in SF, too much $$ for my blood.

Btw speaking at conferences looks great to employers and adcoms, especially if you get funding to pay for it. I'm speaking at a small in state conf and I've heard a lot of positive feedback.

Sorry about the typos in my last post! Yikes on the autocorrect!

So, I had class tonight and my advisor asked me to stay after. She wants me to send an abstract for my thesis to APHA for consideration for October's meeting/conference. Sort of makes me feel like maybe there's life after a rejection or two if I don't get into the programs I applied to ... unless APHA rejects me too!

You should definitely do it if you have the chance! I co-presented our study at the conference in San Francisco last October and, in addition to the excellent experience, numerous faculty members of both prospective PhD programs and at my current institution have made positive remarks on it. 

On another topic, did anyone see that results post for University of Washington's Global Health PhD program? I might start a new thread asking about it because it has me somewhat concerned, albeit skeptically. This program is my top choice and I'm waiting on a decision myself, but the individual posted some bizarre comments. This person said they were accepted over the phone and,

"WILL NOT BE ACCEPTING. I made a major mistake in applying to this program. If you think this program is truly global health you are grossly mistaken! There is no actual global health experience, you are just a data monkey doing systematic/meta analyses. If you want to do real global health and community based research and you want to attend UW I suggest you get a PhD in Epidemiology or Health Systems. This program is a joke!"

One, I am hesitant to ascribe credibility to this individual as the program told me they have just finished initial reviews and that they will begin final review of the applications which pass in late February with decisions announced around the first of March. Two, I have never heard anything negative about this program, and there is an entire year of international fieldwork/data collection explicitly laid out in the curriculum for those whose area of emphasis is Implementation Science. The other area of emphasis, Metrics, doesn't include this and shows completion in four years rather than five. Perhaps this is what this individual is alluding to? 

It seems pretty strange to me that this individual was accepted before the department has begun final review and that they subsequently chose to lambaste the program in the Results section. Does anyone have any thoughts on this particular issue or insight on UW's Global Health PhD program generally?

I'm definitely going to submit the abstract ... I was so excited when she suggested it! It's a topic I really believe in and I'd be thrilled to have the chance to share it at that level.

So, it's February 1st ... decisions can't be too far off! Thanks to everyone who has shared so far -- I truly enjoy your successes and I hope to read about lots more.

Edited by MammaD

loganartemis -- I read somewhere in these forums that sometimes a person gets wait listed and bashes the program to dissuade others from going there. I think it's a horrible, fear-based, dishonest action but I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of what's happening there.

Trust your own research on the programs you applied to, and ask plenty of questions once you get in. I'm sorry this person has you even giving things a second thought ... as if we're not all on our last good nerve as it is.

loganartemis -- I read somewhere in these forums that sometimes a person gets wait listed and bashes the program to dissuade others from going there. I think it's a horrible, fear-based, dishonest action but I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of what's happening there.

Trust your own research on the programs you applied to, and ask plenty of questions once you get in. I'm sorry this person has you even giving things a second thought ... as if we're not all on our last good nerve as it is.

MammaD, I hadn't even thought of that possibility. That's really pathetic if an aspiring professional resorted to doing something like that, but I can't say that it would especially surprise me. Oh bother! (Winnie the Pooh)

hey all! congrats on the admissions news! :)

@ loganartemis: i don't believe UW's GH program has moved through to the acceptance phase yet. I know they just finished the prelim interviews and i'm guessing they will be moving through the final phase this month. however, i wouldn't be surprised if they do another set of interviews. i'm guessing the meta-analysis comment was referring to the metrics track which employs students at IHME (which i hear is a **ton** of statistical work, but obviously an invaluable experience and totally worth it). i did hear that they received over 110 applications, only ~30 of which were for the metrics track, so the implementation science side will be fairly competitive. i think the program has pros and cons -- obviously stellar global health folks, but it's only in its 2nd year which I'm sure brings both challenges and opportunities for the early cohorts. regardless, you really couldn't go wrong if you got in there! good luck!!!

Hello everyone, I applied to Harvard Health Policy PhD program and haven't heard anything yet and I just saw someone post getting an interview invite at 23 Jan, 2013. Does this mean I am out? have anyone receive anything yet?

Hi Elsewhy,

Congratulations on your acceptance and on the interviews from Yale and Emory! May I ask who from Yale contacted you, i.e. was it the Professor you mentioned in your statement of purpose or someone from their admissions office? I am wondering because I applied to the same program but have had no interview invitation, so I suppose this means I haven't gotten through the first review phase. 

Anyway, it would be good to know. Thanks so much,

M.

Hi Elsewhy,

Congratulations on your acceptance and on the interviews from Yale and Emory! May I ask who from Yale contacted you, i.e. was it the Professor you mentioned in your statement of purpose or someone from their admissions office? I am wondering because I applied to the same program but have had no interview invitation, so I suppose this means I haven't gotten through the first review phase. 

Anyway, it would be good to know. Thanks so much,

M.

Hi Mazaya, thank you!  I was contacted by the director of graduate student affairs to visit on their official "Recruitment Day," so that may not be a good sign for you, but you never know! Maybe they thought you were so awesome you didn't even need to interview!

This is getting crazy, I know the adcom at UNC probably doesn't' pour over the results search on TGC like we do, but the fact that no one has really heard from them yet is driving me nuts.  Don't they realize they're "late"?  If I don't hear anything today I'm just going to assume I'm not in and wait for my email to tell me otherwise or inform me about my other apps.  

I need to cut off from the GTC to at least maintain some modicum of sanity.

Hi Mazaya, thank you!  I was contacted by the director of graduate student affairs to visit on their official "Recruitment Day," so that may not be a good sign for you, but you never know! Maybe they thought you were so awesome you didn't even need to interview!

Thanks for your answer Elsewhy! I am actually based outside the US, so I wouldn't be able to make it to any of the open-house sessions or other on-campus events. I thought you also had a phone interview scheduled with them, or perhaps I mis-read your statement. In any case, many thanks for replying and congrats again on your admissions so far! It must feel great! 

I dunno BoilerEpi, maybe the weather they've been having has set them back a bit. Or the fact that federal funds are tighter and maybe they're trying to stretch every dollar to accommodate all the students they want to accept.

I'm definitely eager for an answer. One of the houses we liked went off the market yesterday and I'm sure there will be more of that in the coming weeks so I'm a little antsy, but I've seen acceptances not go out until a month from now, even. I don't get a sense of malice or disrespect from the fact that decisions were released a week earlier last year. Try to breathe. What will be, will be.

Haha, certainly don't think they're doing it on purpose.  I know there's year to year variation, just really eager for a decision.  Part of my anxiety comes from the fact that since I've been looking into this program I've been able to get in touch with every faculty member I contacted and all the administrators have been helpful any time I contacted them for info.  Everyone seems really nice and on top of their jobs which makes me really want to go there.  Just tired of waiting.

PS I've already looked into housing there to and I get the sense that I'll need to get the ball rolling soon if I want to get a place near campus or in Carboro (sister city).  

The waiting is very hard! But I wouldn't say you're out until you hear for sure that you are out. It looks like decisions are being slow across programs compared to last year. I used to live in Chapel Hill and honestly housing won't be as hard as you think. Chapel Hill buses also are free so if you're not within walking distance from campus (and honestly you don't want to live walking distance from campus) there are plenty of buses that will take you right where you need to go. My experience with grad school administration is that getting professors all together with their schedules, research, committees and travel is like herding cats, so its a bit of a feat to get them all in a room to make decisions. 

If you can try and distract yourself for the next couple weeks, there will be some decisions by the end of the month! 

Hello everyone, I applied to Harvard Health Policy PhD program and haven't heard anything yet and I just saw someone post getting an interview invite at 23 Jan, 2013. Does this mean I am out? have anyone receive anything yet?

I also applied (medical sociology) and have not heard anything, but I am under the impression that invites were already sent out. When I spoke to the admissions director in the fall, she mentioned they send invites to a short list of candidates by the end of January. I'm of course hoping this is not the case, but it's starting to get a bit late. Keep us posted if you hear anything, though!