PhD in Public Health

erzsi83

Though it's not exactly the news you had hoped for, being waitlisted at Hopkins is pretty awesome.  I've heard/know of plenty people getting admitted off of waitlists... since people usually apply to at least a couple PhD programs and can decline admissions for so many reasons... I would say your chances are good, depending on how long the wait list is.  From my experience, admissions tend to be pretty transparent about their waitlist.  So if you're curious about where you stand, I recommend getting in touch with them once you get official notification.

Your post prompted me to check my Hopkins application and has left me perplexed.  No decision is available yet, but I scrolled down and saw something listed under Other Supporting Documents at the bottom of the page... it says: Final Official Transcript Upon Admission: Not Received.  It definitely wasn't there before... so of course I'm reading into it and freaking out a little :)  The right course of action for just about anything, haha.

Belafish, that sounds like exactly what happened right before I received notification that I was admitted to Wisconsin - the portal page changed locations, my app status disappeared, and I had a normal my.wisc.edu page, rather than an applicant portal. So, here's hoping that the change is a good omen for you, as well!

I just checked the Hopkins applyyourself page, and saw that my decision was available. Waitlisted. I'm not really sure how to feel. Hopkins was a stretch for me, so I was stunned/thrilled when I got the interview invite. I don't have any sense of how many people they accepted, or how many are on the waitlist. I feel like I need to wait at least until Monday to call, since they haven't even sent a notification to check the website yet...

Does anyone has a sense of how likely it is to get accepted from the waitlist?

I still haven't heard anything from UNC. They are my absolute first choice, and I was hoping to have something definitive from Hopkins before calling UNC to check on my application.

I do have an interview with South Carolina next week. The program isn't as well known as UNC or Hopkins, but I specifically want to study rural health, and they have one of the few federally designated rural health research centers in the US, and the only one with a health disparities concentration.

Looks like a few Hopkins Health Services Research waitlist notifications have come up today - I just checked and have been waitlisted as well. I'm pretty bummed, as this was my first choice and I thought it was a perfect fit for my interests, so I am curious how the waitlist has played out for students in the past.

I am eager to know more, but think that I will wait until Monday as well. Good luck to you!

I'm so excited to share my first bit of news!  I just got an email inviting me for a phone interview at Columbia (Sociomedical Sciences).  I can't decide if I'm more excited or nervous... any helpful tips/advice would be much appreciated!

Congrats! I just came from Columbia, and I'm impressed with how they expanded in the city, the school is definitely growing. Phone interviews are tricky, but the forums have tons of advice. My best one, dress as if you're having a legit face-to-face interview, you'll speak more professional. When I did mine, I'm not gonna lie, I had 3 or 4 windows up so I wouldn't forget things I wanted to make sure I say. Let us know how it goes!

I do have an interview with South Carolina next week. The program isn't as well known as UNC or Hopkins, but I specifically want to study rural health, and they have one of the few federally designated rural health research centers in the US, and the only one with a health disparities concentration.

Location location location! This place might be perfect for rural work since UNC is small-town (though you can drive relatively quickly supposedly to get rural) and Hopkins is city. So don't count it out yet purely due to "well-known"ness Good luck!

Bela, I'm sort of hating myself for doing this, but I just checked, and my Hopkins application says this too! *headdesk* What does it MEAN?!

Edited by VBD

congrats MPH(D?) I applied to that program too but haven't heard back at all :( , that's weird they won't schedule you--maybe give them a call to see if your email just got lost in the shuffle?   I'd say check MammaD, its good to know either way. Good luck!
Thanks. I did, and her response was that they've had soke scheduling issues but they were still really interested in interviewing me. She hoped to get back to me by the end of this week, but said follow up with her Monday if I didn't. The whole thing makes me want to curl up into the fetal position...

Thanks. I did, and her response was that they've had soke scheduling issues but they were still really interested in interviewing me. She hoped to get back to me by the end of this week, but said follow up with her Monday if I didn't. The whole thing makes me want to curl up into the fetal position...

Hey MPH(D), I am in the same boat, was contacted for an interview replied w. times and havent heard back yet either. I imagine it is a coordinating nightmare to get everyone in the same room.

Good luck!

Thank you for all of the good will!  No clarity re: Johns Hopkins yet.  My husband has convinced me (most of the way...) to think of it as something that was just automatically added to all applications that still have coursework in progress.  And it looks like the admissions blog agrees: http://www.jhsph.edu/admissions/admissions-blog/What_Youre_Asking

Hopefully we'll get some definitive news from Johns Hopkins soon, though, VBD :)

And hopefully this coming week will be fruitful for us all

Thank you for all of the good will!  No clarity re: Johns Hopkins yet.  My husband has convinced me (most of the way...) to think of it as something that was just automatically added to all applications that still have coursework in progress.  And it looks like the admissions blog agrees: http://www.jhsph.edu/admissions/admissions-blog/What_Youre_Asking

Hopefully we'll get some definitive news from Johns Hopkins soon, though, VBD :)

And hopefully this coming week will be fruitful for us all

To add to the puzzle: I have no coursework in progress. In fact a month ago, a Hopkins admissions person called me and told me to resend my official transcript for my application.

The plot! It thickens!

Congratulations to those of you who have received acceptances in the last couple days! How exciting!

Waiting for answers totally blows. I am obsessed with checking my online applications to look for any changes or updates.  Hope more of us get the responses we've been waiting for this week!

To add to the puzzle: I have no coursework in progress. In fact a month ago, a Hopkins admissions person called me and told me to resend my official transcript for my application.

The plot! It thickens!

aaah stop scrambling my brain! :) 

(watch our app status not get updated for another month.)

I'm sorry! I may have undone all your husband did, Bela. D: 

At this point, I decided to just delete all my status pages. Not looking at it on my bookmarks is making me not log in to the status page, only to be bummed at its unchanging status. It's like a burden's been lifted :D I'll get notified by email for whichever decision they make xD

Congratulations Juliajulia! It sucks that the first thing you got was a rejection, but happily, it all goes uphill from there. Yay for UWashington!!

I got more information from Hopkins. They had 37 applicants for the Health Services Research track, and were only able to accept 3. During my interview they mentioned that their AHRQ training grant was up for renewal, and they weren't sure if/when/how much would get funded. They use the training grant to fund most of their PhD applicants. The professor I interviewed with emailed to give me the waitlist details. She said I was very high on the list, and she was optomistic that they would be able to offer admission and funding from the training grant. She didn't outright say it, but I reading between the lines that they haven't secured the training grant renewal yet, but couldn't put off admissions decisions anymore, so they only admitted as many students as they can support with existing internal scholarships and fellowships. If/when they get the AHRQ funding, they will admit more (I hope).

In other news, my interview with South Carolina went very well. Still no news from UNC.

Looks like great news all around! Congrats to all!

Still waiting on UNC Epi and MCH. I had a hilarious and vivid dream about the faculty member I hope to work with there. I hope it's a sign.

Edited by MammaD

Panache and MPH(D?) did Pitt ever schedule you, I got an interview request from them today which I am super excited about but a little scared about getting it scheduled!

Friday, 10am...

Also, I think the snowstorm slowed them down a touch.

Edited by MPH(D?)

I got more information from Hopkins. They had 37 applicants for the Health Services Research track, and were only able to accept 3. During my interview they mentioned that their AHRQ training grant was up for renewal, and they weren't sure if/when/how much would get funded. They use the training grant to fund most of their PhD applicants. The professor I interviewed with emailed to give me the waitlist details. She said I was very high on the list, and she was optomistic that they would be able to offer admission and funding from the training grant. She didn't outright say it, but I reading between the lines that they haven't secured the training grant renewal yet, but couldn't put off admissions decisions anymore, so they only admitted as many students as they can support with existing internal scholarships and fellowships. If/when they get the AHRQ funding, they will admit more (I hope).

In other news, my interview with South Carolina went very well. Still no news from UNC.

mpheels-

I received the same exact email from the professor whom I interviewed with, and I agree with your interpretation.  

I'm really curious how many people are "very high" on the list, given that it is a "very short" list. I wonder if they're telling this to everyone on the wait list, in hopes that enough money will come through for most. Hopefully it's just the two of us :) But now I'm a little worried that the same email was sent to everyone.. aye.