PhD in Public Health

erzsi83

Has anyone have updates on Phd admission of the Dept Health Behavior at UNC SPH? I have not heard anything from them and I dont' have an interview with them. 

That's the department I applied to as well, and I have not heard a word, and I haven't seen any change in my application status either. I haven't seen anyone post results from that department. 

That's the department I applied to as well, and I have not heard a word, and I haven't seen any change in my application status either. I haven't seen anyone post results from that department. 

I haven't heard anything either.  Not much data in the admissions results from previous years for this program... but from what I can tell, I don't think they do interviews.  Hope we all hear something from them soon! 

My plan is to email all of the schools I applied to as soon as (if?) I get an acceptance.  I feel like once you have an offer, it's completely acceptable to get in touch with the other schools you applied to find out when their decisions will be released. 

Just received an acceptance letter (via email) from South Carolina. I wasn't really worried about them, but it's still a huge relief to have the actual letter. I still don't have specifics on funding, but the professor I interviewed with basically offered an assistanceship on one of her projects, which would give me in-state designation, 75% or tuition/fees paid, and $6000/semester stipend. She also mentioned a one time $8000 award that I could qualify for.  There is a different $8000 grant awarded based on GRE percentile, and I'll miss that by one percentile on my math GRE.

Just received an acceptance letter (via email) from South Carolina. I wasn't really worried about them, but it's still a huge relief to have the actual letter. I still don't have specifics on funding, but the professor I interviewed with basically offered an assistanceship on one of her projects, which would give me in-state designation, 75% or tuition/fees paid, and $6000/semester stipend. She also mentioned a one time $8000 award that I could qualify for.  There is a different $8000 grant awarded based on GRE percentile, and I'll miss that by one percentile on my math GRE.

Congrats mpheels!! And strange that some grants are based on GRE percentile alone, because that's certainly the best indicator of graduate student potential. Exciting news though.

MammaD, I'm sorry to hear about that, but best of luck for MCH! I really hope you get it!

mpheels, congrats on the South Carolina acceptance! Can that 1 percentile difference be re-negotiated? Plus there's always hope for other grants... Anyways, just bask in your acceptance :D

*waves to the 6 guests online currently creeping on us.* Come on in and join the conversation, we don't bite :D

Congrats mpheels!! And strange that some grants are based on GRE percentile alone, because that's certainly the best indicator of graduate student potential. Exciting news though.

It's a university wide grant, and I get the impression they are using it to encourage higer scoring students to enroll so they can increase their statistics. The overall impression I got during the interview was that they recognize the program in still developing, and they are making an huge effort to attract more competitive students by offering a more personal/structured program.

I haven't heard anything either.  Not much data in the admissions results from previous years for this program... but from what I can tell, I don't think they do interviews.  Hope we all hear something from them soon! 

My plan is to email all of the schools I applied to as soon as (if?) I get an acceptance.  I feel like once you have an offer, it's completely acceptable to get in touch with the other schools you applied to find out when their decisions will be released. 

I don't know how I missed this in my last post. But I'm intrigued how would you go about doing this? "Hi, I have an acceptance I have to reply to by March 8th (my offer has this deadline =_=), I was wondering if you could update me on my status?" Does it seem rude or demanding? Can admissions people even tell you the status over the phone? Or can you just call to ask about whether interview offers are coming, etc?

I don't know how I missed this in my last post. But I'm intrigued how would you go about doing this? "Hi, I have an acceptance I have to reply to by March 8th (my offer has this deadline =_=), I was wondering if you could update me on my status?" Does it seem rude or demanding? Can admissions people even tell you the status over the phone? Or can you just call to ask about whether interview offers are coming, etc?

Hey VBD, I don't think this question is rude since this is an important decision for you to make. I would ask if I were in your case. Good luck!

Hey VBD! I actually just sent a few emails along this vein to the programs I'm still waiting on. My dad is a tenured professor at Tufts University, and it was his advice to do so. He takes several doctoral students every year at the School of Engineering at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, and he mentioned that if a student is competetive, it's helpful for a POI to know that the student has other offers (occasionally, it'll speed up the process). Sometimes the committee is simply behind on reading and deciding (that's the case for my dad's committees right now). If that's the case, he will almost always call the student or email if he really is interesting in taking the student. If not, he'll at least respond with an update about where the committee stands. I hope this helps!

Wait so in this situation, are you saying that I should contact the POI at the other institution AND the admissions people (of the school? of the department? They have two different people). Or just one or the other? I'm simply trying my best to not step on anyone's toes. Mainly because I saw at my alma mater professors literally saying "who does this student think she is?" or insisting that they must do admissions their own timeline (makes sense). Thanks for the advice so far Julia and Mmajum.

This certainly does add a new anxiety in the waiting game xD

Wait so in this situation, are you saying that I should contact the POI at the other institution AND the admissions people (of the school? of the department? They have two different people). Or just one or the other? I'm simply trying my best to not step on anyone's toes. Mainly because I saw at my alma mater professors literally saying "who does this student think she is?" or insisting that they must do admissions their own timeline (makes sense). Thanks for the advice so far Julia and Mmajum.

This certainly does add a new anxiety in the waiting game xD

I don't think it's rude, though I understand your hesitation!  I'd probably get in touch with whatever admissions coordinator is listed on the website (rather than a professor), unless you've had direct contact with a specific prof.  I'm thinking of saying something along the lines of "I applied for admission to blahblahblah program and was wondering if you could please let me know when the X department will be making their decisions?  I've received a couple of offers and just want to get an idea of where I stand." 

Congrats on your acceptance, mpheels!

And congratulations to you, mmajum01, and welcome :)

glad to find this forum of like minded applicants. best of luck to everyone.

just wanted to share my experience and see if anyone else has more info on west coast epi programs (biased, wanting to head back closer to home). 

interviewed at : columbia, ucla, ucsf (all epi)

no word from: berkeley and usc

interviews seemed really positive, so im hopeful. fingers crossed for acceptance and funding..

Hello everyone:

This is down to the wire! ahhhhhhhh

bit of good news: I got into PITT's doctoral program for Behavioral and Community Health Science this week wahoo! I am so honored and delighted with the opportunity. They have a great program and I am super excited.

I look forward to hearing how things shape up in the coming week.

I imagine this is the week where stuff gets a' shakin.

Good luck everyone!

congrats Panache that is a great program, did they call you today with the news? I only asked because I figured schools would be closed with the holiday. Great News!!

Edited by acdelco

I don't think it's rude, though I understand your hesitation!  I'd probably get in touch with whatever admissions coordinator is listed on the website (rather than a professor), unless you've had direct contact with a specific prof.  I'm thinking of saying something along the lines of "I applied for admission to blahblahblah program and was wondering if you could please let me know when the X department will be making their decisions?  I've received a couple of offers and just want to get an idea of where I stand." 

Congrats on your acceptance, mpheels!

And congratulations to you, mmajum01, and welcome :)

Thanks, Belafish!

I agree entirely with you for VBD's situation. Though I'm all for contacting a POI if you have had several interactions with him/her already and potentially have met with him/her; it's definitely more direct, and though it can be pushy, my pops seems to think that it really depends on the competetiveness of the candidate - that's kind of what determines how it's "seen" or "interpreted". It makes sense when highly competetive candidates choose to inform other program POIs of their acceptances just so they can get a feel of the situation; it seems arrogant when the candidate isn't as competetive. So this requires some self-assessment, which should be helped by whatever interaction you had with your POI at said program during application season.

This said, it never hurts to gently ask the admissions office for a timeline as Belafish suggested. It's a safer route in the case that you don't have a very open relationship with the program POI.

Hello everyone:   This is down to the wire! ahhhhhhhh   bit of good news: I got into PITT's doctoral program for Behavioral and Community Health Science this week wahoo! I am so honored and delighted with the opportunity. They have a great program and I am super excited.   I look forward to hearing how things shape up in the coming week.   I imagine this is the week where stuff gets a' shakin.   Good luck everyone!
Congrats! PhD or DrPH?

I was accepted into that program early last week, and did not interview beforehand.  I have a feeling, given the general silence on this forum, that the acceptances are not all issued on one day the way they are at some other schools.  I guess what I mean to say is that I wouldn't worry too much about what my acceptance means for you!  It's still quite early in the process!