PhD in Public Health

erzsi83

Why so many people get their admission results from checking websites. Which websites are we supposed to check about the result? I have no idea.

Applyweb sends an email notifying you of a message on the website. Same with Applyyourself. So these websites update with a short paragraph or a pdf of the acceptance or rejection letter (hopefully the former!). So schools like Hopkins, UNC, Yale, Harvard, etc. who opted out of SOPHAS. 

And feel free to correct me, but I don't think SOPHAS lets you check your status. 

Also, I know everyone's getting anxious but let's remain our happy little PhD in Public health family, :D We all believe we're qualified individuals and good researchers, otherwise we wouldn't have applied. For people who have acceptances, let's remain tactful and respectful to those who are waiting :D

mpheels, sorry to hear about that, but now you can move on. *hugs* Are you all done waiting now? (aside from the waitlist -- which is a whole 'nother game..)

Edited by VBD

Sorry to hear that, @mpheels.  Good move getting in touch with them, though, and even though you didn't get the news you wanted at least you get peace of mind.  Best of luck with Hopkins!

For the rest of us... fingers crossed for some news today!  I can't take this waiting anymore.  Is it just me, or has anyone else developed a love-hate relationship with weekends (the relief and frustration of knowing we wont hear anything)?

So I finally broke down and emailed UNC to ask about my application. That tiny sliver of hope was driving me nuts, and I really just needed to move on and make plans to visit South Carolina (and hopefully Hopkins) in the next 4-6 weeks. The admissions coordinator replied within 5 minutes and I now officially know that I did not get in to UNC.

Sorry about that mpheels.

mmajum01- I noticed you up-voted your own post in order to balance the down-votes of myself and Burkis. I think that action speaks for itself so I won't get into the ethics of it, but I do want to let you know why I down-voted it in the first place since it clearly bothered you. It is evident from your posts that you believe you are a very qualified individual. Seeing that others in this forum have been posting for weeks how much anxiety they are having about getting an acceptance and recent posts about funding cuts due to sequestration magnified this tension, I found it vainglorious and insensitive that you felt the need to publicly remind us that you have a fully-funded offer from your top choice, if I recall correctly. 
Hi there! Thanks for clarifying your position. I'm really sorry that my post was offensive to you and to whomever else it may have hurt. That certainly wasn't my intention. I also apologize for coming off as arrogant if that was indeed the case; I'm genuinely grateful for the opportunities that have been offered to me over the years, and that was what I hoped to get across. I definitely don't feel I deserve them; much of this process is luck more than qualifications. Because of this, I think its important to be appreciative, but maybe this isn't the correct outlet for those feelings of thanks and relief. I'm happy to delete the post if you think that'd be best, and I'll be more careful with my posts from here on out. Let me know your thoughts at your convenience; I'll proceed accordingly! If anyone else has any feedback, I'm happy to listen. :) mpheels - So sorry. :( Positive energy coming your way - this too shall pass!

Applyweb sends an email notifying you of a message on the website. Same with Applyyourself. So these websites update with a short paragraph or a pdf of the acceptance or rejection letter (hopefully the former!). So schools like Hopkins, UNC, Yale, Harvard, etc. who opted out of SOPHAS. 

And feel free to correct me, but I don't think SOPHAS lets you check your status. 

Also, I know everyone's getting anxious but let's remain our happy little PhD in Public health family, :D We all believe we're qualified individuals and good researchers, otherwise we wouldn't have applied. For people who have acceptances, let's remain tactful and respectful to those who are waiting :D

mpheels, sorry to hear about that, but now you can move on. *hugs* Are you all done waiting now? (aside from the waitlist -- which is a whole 'nother game..)

Agreed! Good luck everyone. Stay calm and carry on. 

Looks like Harvard SD Epi made some decisions today. 

Sorry to hear that mpheels! I just dont understand the lag time between when decisions are made and when applicants are notified  it seems if they had already made a decision you should already have been told without having to call yourself but alas--enjoy your trip to SC and fingers crossed for Hopkins! 

Belafish that is exactly how I feel about the weekends haha! 

Enjoy the weekend everyone--March is just a few days away  :wacko:

Edited by acdelco

Sorry to hear it, mpheels. But like you pointed out, it's great to be able to focus on the schools where you actually could end up next year! Sounds like SC is really gearing up their program, too. Could be a fantastic opportunity for you!

I don't understand the lag time either, but yes, it's good to know. I already knew given the acceptances posted last week, so I've already had my little breakdown last weekend :unsure: Now I'm having fun looking a apartments!

Awww, mpheels, I was really rooting for you.

As for the weekend thing, it seems UNC does most of its notifying on the weekend, so I'm kind of hoping to hear from MCH this weekend. I'm definitely ready to move on if I've been rejected.

Anabele, I think no news is probably just that ... no news. Don't give up hope until someone sends you a letter with the word "regret" in it. :) I got my UNC Epi rejection last Sunday. I knew it was a long shot but I'm still a little shaken confidence-wise. Good luck and be sure to let us know when you hear!

So I finally broke down and emailed UNC to ask about my application. That tiny sliver of hope was driving me nuts, and I really just needed to move on and make plans to visit South Carolina (and hopefully Hopkins) in the next 4-6 weeks. The admissions coordinator replied within 5 minutes and I now officially know that I did not get in to UNC.

Sorry about that mpheels and good luck with your JHSPH application. I am planning to ask UNC myself on Monday as I haven't heard anything yet, and wasn't asked for interview. I think the chance of me getting accepted isn't high, and I really need to move on as you said.

I am joining in the anxiety of waiting for results.  Currently I have gotten into two masters programs that I have turned down due to the lack of any option for assistantships.  Currently wait listed at both Harvard and University of Chicago epi programs.  Did anyone else apply to University of Chicago?  After my two interviews there this is my top choice, but I haven't heard of any others applying. Still waiting to hear from three schools, University of Denver, UIC, and Yale.  

Congrats to all who have gotten in!  Best of luck to those still waiting!

If there's other EHE applicants to JHSPH, they plan to have decisions posted on applyyourself hopefully within the end of this week. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on contacting programs. The other programs I'm waiting for emails/calls back, JHU was just the first to respond (wow, super fast, and extremely nice!). Interviews were held in early Feb though, so I won't hold my breath since I didn't get invited then. *laughs* My anxiety just shot straight up now though >.< Be still you stupid heart...
Hey VBD! Did you hear from EHE? I'm still waiting (with bated breath to say the least)... D:

Deathmetal, sorry, didn't apply to any of those programs. 

I am joining in the anxiety of waiting for results.  Currently I have gotten into two masters programs that I have turned down due to the lack of any option for assistantships.  Currently wait listed at both Harvard and University of Chicago epi programs.  Did anyone else apply to University of Chicago?  After my two interviews there this is my top choice, but I haven't heard of any others applying. Still waiting to hear from three schools, University of Denver, UIC, and Yale.  

Congrats to all who have gotten in!  Best of luck to those still waiting!

Duepeak, UIC gave me my acceptance on Valentine's day, but then again, I'm in a difference program. The UIC SPH general admissions guy said that in general they have results out by March.  Don't know about the other schools, sorry. Good luck :D

Hey VBD! Did you hear from EHE? I'm still waiting (with bated breath to say the least)... D:

Yeah, I got nothing as well. Perhaps the office was busy with so many students to update on the system. She had said she'll try to by this week, but maybe she'll do it by next week? *shrugs* And we shall await together~

Deathmetal, sorry, didn't apply to any of those programs. 

Duepeak, UIC gave me my acceptance on Valentine's day, but then again, I'm in a difference program. The UIC SPH general admissions guy said that in general they have results out by March.  Don't know about the other schools, sorry. Good luck :D

Yeah, I got nothing as well. Perhaps the office was busy with so many students to update on the system. She had said she'll try to by this week, but maybe she'll do it by next week? *shrugs* And we shall await together~

Glad to hear you got into UIC, hopefully they will release other decisions soon.

MammaD, you're right, at least there is a sign of life.  I am sure your decisions will be up soon.  

I want to ask a general question to the forum.

What are everone's general expectations for funding? Are people limiting their schools to avenues where funding can be secured or is there a general acceptance that if a school say offers to cover 60-85% of tuition than it is acceptable. I am curious because programs like U Minnesota and Hopkins have programs that do not guarentee funding and in fact provide partal tuition coverage.

I have also applied to a number of schools in different disciplines where it is the convention to provide full funding with a generous stipend and health insurance coverage.

What are people's thoughts about this? I am already carrying a substantial debt load from gettiing two masters prior to this so I am trying to be as frugal as possible.

I would love to hear some guidance.

Hi everyone, I am so happy I found this post. This thread is full of supportive posters. At this time when I am sick with worry, it may be the only reason why I stay sane till I hear from the 4 schools I applied to. Congratulations to every one who has been accepted.  

Did anyone apply for (health services PhD) at Ohio State or Pitt, or Iowa or St Louis ????? If so have you heard any thing? Any ideas when decisions will be sent out?   

Panache, I applied to a similar mix of schools I would love to get tution covered,  health insurance and if there isn't a generous stipend I could probably work with that. I have debt from my Masters and can't imagine taking on additional debt for another 4 years--its just money I would never earn back and even though I really want to get a PhD I just have to be real about other decisions I'd like to make in my life and how having more debt would affect that. And part of getting a PhD is getting the teaching and research experience you need to advance your career luckily you can also use those to pay for your education. Everyone is differnent though, if you were lucky enough to get through undergrad and grad school with little or no debt a year or two of paying for some of your PhD may be worth it.

I know funding is really tight out there for schools but if it comes down to it I would definitely choose a fully funded program over one that isn't.

I'm in a little different situation with regard to funding. I served 17 years in the military and after this semester will have 3 years of education benefit left (tuition + a housing stipend). Plus, I'm older, we've been smart (read: saved like fanatics while our friends bought gadgets and cars) with finances, and the move would actually save us money because the housing market there is better (less expensive) than here. So, I might have to get a job if I get into the one program I have yet to hear from without any stipend, but we're prepared to make anything work. My kids and I have health insurance through my husband -- it's not great care, but it's serving our needs and I'm thankful for it.

In my case, there aren't many schools where I could really dig into my research interests while also contributing clinically, so if I don't get into UNC (I only applied to 2 programs, both there), I'll consider another path entirely toward what I will do with the rest of my life.

Here comes another week. Praying that it is the week for Good news. Actually I am ready for any news. I just want to close this and move on with my life. Good wishes to every one.

I want to ask a general question to the forum.

What are everone's general expectations for funding? Are people limiting their schools to avenues where funding can be secured or is there a general acceptance that if a school say offers to cover 60-85% of tuition than it is acceptable. I am curious because programs like U Minnesota and Hopkins have programs that do not guarentee funding and in fact provide partal tuition coverage.

I have also applied to a number of schools in different disciplines where it is the convention to provide full funding with a generous stipend and health insurance coverage.

What are people's thoughts about this? I am already carrying a substantial debt load from gettiing two masters prior to this so I am trying to be as frugal as possible.

I would love to hear some guidance.

Panache, can you talk a little bit about your knowledge of Minnesota's funding system? It's my top choice program, but funding is definitely a concern for me, and I haven't gotten much clarity there. I know that I'm eligible for scholarships - I got my app in early enough - and that there is funding available, but it seemed sort of like you have to compete to get it once you're already taking classes. Do you know more about it at all?

On which note - anyone have recommendations for how to get details about funding? What's the best way to ask some of the professors, departments, programs, etc, whether or not you can expect funding, and to what extent?

Here comes another week. Praying that it is the week for Good news. Actually I am ready for any news. I just want to close this and move on with my life. Good wishes to every one.
This. Exactly. Mmajum01, thank you!