PhD in Public Health

erzsi83

I got an interview with UCLA about a month ago... I thought I could get in.. but I have not heard anything from them since then... kind of losing hope now. I applied for PhD at CHS as well. :(

Juliajulia I was told by the program administrator that they didn't interview applicants for the CHS PhD program, I'd definitely recommend emailing or calling them. 

Hi all

I've been stalking this forum for a while and have been wait listed at two schools which is bitter sweet. I was just wondering for those that have been wait listed is it reasonable to think you may get in? How are you all handling the wait list-ing

Sryahmay--I'm in a similar position and remaining hopeful to get off the wait list, I think what may be tricky is if you've been accepted somewhere else balancing that with waiting to hear about wherever you are wait listed. From what I've been told by schools, and this may be sequester/funding related, they had to accept a smaller number of than usual so getting wait listed is  frustrating but its  better than a rejection. I just really hope that people who got in to programs and aren't planning to attend turn down offers sooner rather than later. 

anyone else wait listing?

Always sorry to hear rejections! Hope everyone gets into a great program

Edited by acdelco

Just got my Columbia SMS rejection too. Was anybody else's strange?

The subject of my email was "MSPH Admission Decision Notificati​on," and I applied to the PhD. The body of the email had no greeting or signature, and the letter itself had a typo. It also doesn't make mention of which program I was rejected from - I'm hoping they considered me for the PhD, and not the MSPH. I'm sure they did, but I'm just a little annoyed at the way in which I was rejected.

Just got my Columbia SMS rejection too. Was anybody else's strange?

The subject of my email was "MSPH Admission Decision Notificati​on," and I applied to the PhD. The body of the email had no greeting or signature, and the letter itself had a typo. It also doesn't make mention of which program I was rejected from - I'm hoping they considered me for the PhD, and not the MSPH. I'm sure they did, but I'm just a little annoyed at the way in which I was rejected.

I felt the same way. I got exactly what you got. Kind of pissed too since the application fee is not low at all. I emailed the program coordinator asking why it's MSPH and she replied something totally irrelevant: 

Your application to our program via SOPHAS is managed by the Mailman School of Public Health; all decision notifications are processed & sent from the Mailman School.  This includes our Sociomedical Sciences PhD Program, which is interdisciplinary with study divided between the Mailman School of Public Health and one social science department in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS).

I felt the same way. I got exactly what you got. Kind of pissed too since the application fee is not low at all. I emailed the program coordinator asking why it's MSPH and she replied something totally irrelevant: 

Your application to our program via SOPHAS is managed by the Mailman School of Public Health; all decision notifications are processed & sent from the Mailman School.  This includes our Sociomedical Sciences PhD Program, which is interdisciplinary with study divided between the Mailman School of Public Health and one social science department in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS).

Sorry to hear of the rejections!

MSPH stands for Mailman School of Public Health.

Unless you mean why the letters weren't from the GSAS?

Edited by aapril

Sorry to hear of the rejections!

MSPH stands for Mailman School of Public Health.

Unless you mean why the letters weren't from the GSAS?

Ooooooo.. I thought it was Master of Science in PH.. Lol

Hi everyone! Congratulations for your acceptances, hang in there everybody else! I just heard from UCLA Fielding School of Public Health. I got into their Health Policy and Management PhD program. I am still waiting on funding news from UCLA's Graduate Division, but I am relieved as my previous three responses were rejections. I am waiting on a few other programs: Yale, Columbia, NYU, and GWU.

Best of luck and best wishes to everybody on this forum!

M.

sigh.. now I have answers from all schools. nothing exciting

1 acceptance, which I am not sure if I want to go

2 wait list, one my top choice. I hope someone let go of their admissions so I can take the spot.

6 rejections..

:(

Hey guys. I had kind of a scary conversation with my dad today. I've been really fortunate in that I was accepted to my top choice and offered a really great opportunity there in terms of funding. The thing is, it's on an AHRQ grant. And separately from the sequester, the House Appropriations committee passed a budget that would completely de-fund the AHRQ.

I can't even get into how ridiculous this is - the AHRQ, in addition to everything else, tracks hospital readmissions, which are used (for better or for worse) to determine readmissions penalties on Medicare payments under the ACA. This year, those readmissions penalties are expected to cost hospitals $300 million. The entire funding for the AHRQ in the same year? $376 million. Plus they run the USPSTF, and research shows that effective prevention can save $50+ for every dollar invested. So, ya know. Get rid of them, save $376 million. Cost yourself... $300 million plus, oh, ballpark, a billion or so?

Okay, off my soapbox and on to my question - anybody have any insight into what will happen if you're offered a position on a grant that suddenly evaporates? Anyone else in a similar position? And if so, what's your plan?

Hey guys. I had kind of a scary conversation with my dad today. I've been really fortunate in that I was accepted to my top choice and offered a really great opportunity there in terms of funding. The thing is, it's on an AHRQ grant. And separately from the sequester, the House Appropriations committee passed a budget that would completely de-fund the AHRQ.

I can't even get into how ridiculous this is - the AHRQ, in addition to everything else, tracks hospital readmissions, which are used (for better or for worse) to determine readmissions penalties on Medicare payments under the ACA. This year, those readmissions penalties are expected to cost hospitals $300 million. The entire funding for the AHRQ in the same year? $376 million. Plus they run the USPSTF, and research shows that effective prevention can save $50+ for every dollar invested. So, ya know. Get rid of them, save $376 million. Cost yourself... $300 million plus, oh, ballpark, a billion or so?

Okay, off my soapbox and on to my question - anybody have any insight into what will happen if you're offered a position on a grant that suddenly evaporates? Anyone else in a similar position? And if so, what's your plan?

which school? I know some will replace your funding even if it gets cancelled. but again, it really depends on shcools

sigh.. now I have answers from all schools. nothing exciting

1 acceptance, which I am not sure if I want to go

2 wait list, one my top choice. I hope someone let go of their admissions so I can take the spot.

6 rejections..

:(

sorry to hear that Health, but you may get off the wait list and its nice to have one acceptance! Even getting wait listed shows you are a strong applicant so if you don't get off the wait list and decide against the school you got into it sounds like it wouldn't take much to make you a stronger applicant for next year.

I think, the funds they are offering you should be funds they have secured the problem may just be those funds would go away at the next fiscal year depending on what the agreement was. For example I'm in California and we recently got rid of our Redevelopment Agencies, but the state still has to honor the contracts they made before Redevelopment agencies were dissolved, they can't make new agreements but they also can't ignore agreements already made--it might be the same for AHRQ or other federally funded bodies depending on the contract. I also could be completely wrong seeing that the federal government is a clusterf*ck, so I think the best thing to do would be to contact the school and ask them I'm sure they are also really concerned for their funding. Good luck!

Edited by acdelco

Thanks for the encouragement. It is also really great to see some of you are still getting acceptances at this point, too!

Alas, I've made arrangements to register my littlest for first grade here in NY for next year, and the band directors will be happy to keep my kids (my husband and I are/were both professional musicians).

It feels a little bit good to let go of this dream. I know I'll find some way to make good somehow ... in the meantime, I have to finish this MPH, thesis/study -- there's plenty to stay focused on.

I'll be sure to let you all know when the rejection letter finally comes, and I'll be checking in to see how you all fare and where you decide to go. :)

Keep your head up mammad! It's not over until its over plus its not uncommon to go through more than one round of applications. We're all rooting for you!!!

I'm in the same boat - offered admission with funding under the AHRQ training grant pending renewal of the grant. They've been pretty upfront that the grant scored very well, has been funded for 25 years already, and they are optomistic that it will be funded again. But all of that assumes AHRQ continues to exist. So the sequestration may be pretty good for AHRQ, and the longer the "real" budget takes, the better. When I spoke with faculty last week, they told me (completely off the record) that they expected the department would at least offer tuition support at the same level as the training grant, even if they can't still offer the stipend.

For anyone who applied to JHSPH PhD in Environmental Health, I got my decision on the website today. No email notification, but it's a rejection so maybe that's not surprising!

Has anyone heard back from the PhD program in EPI at Mailman (or know when they will be sending out results)?  I had an interview about 3 weeks ago and was under the assumption that we would hear back by March 1st

Has anyone heard back from the PhD program in EPI at Mailman (or know when they will be sending out results)?  I had an interview about 3 weeks ago and was under the assumption that we would hear back by March 1st

I applied to the DrPH in Epi and also had an interview. Also thought we'd hear back Mar 1. I got antsy on Friday and called the admissions office to get an update on when notices would go out. I learned that they still hadn't made a decision on my application but decisions will go out between now and April 1 since we need to decide by Apr 15. Vague but I'm hoping we hear back by Mar 15. It's been over 3 months since we submitted the application.