PhD in Public Health

erzsi83

I was a phd applicant to the HBS department.

Let's go already Columbia, even though I am pretty certain I got rejected there because I did not get an interview- I would like to know !! ahhhhhh

Do you think that Columbia SMS interviews everyone they admit?

Thanks and congrats on your acceptance into HBS!

My status hasn't changed yet. In Limbo I suppose.

MammaD- I have been thinking the same thing.. I spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on application fees, transcripts, rush orders (thanks SOPHAS), etc.- I deserve a rejection dammit!!!

But really, it feels like this weird period of anxiety will never end. I mean, they have to tell us though, right? They do. 

I just finished an interview with a professor at UIC SPH Community Health Dept. I applied for the PhD program there. The interview went very well and she mentioned the admission is based on a rolling basis. Good luck everyone!

MammaD yes! they definitely have to let us know either way. I just don't understand the lag time between when schools make decisions and when they let applicants know, but this will all be over soon. I am most definitely keeping my fingers crossed for you 

I still haven't heard from Hopkins HBS program-was told a decision should be up this week, and I've seen some news in the results so I'm not sure whats taking them. 

I'm in at Pitts BCHS program after interviewing, seems like a really great school and I'm looking forward to visiting!!

Was wait listed at Michigan HBHE--does anyone know if there is ever movement in the wait list from this department?

Now that interviews seem to be done this would be a good time to go on a nice distracting vacation. 

Edited by acdelco

I have some good news and bad news. The good is that I spoke to the coordinator at Harvard's Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences and she says that they provide tuition for all doctoral students (for the first two years) but that it's very, very rare for them to provide stipends. So, now I need to pull out my excel sheet and really give some hard thinking on whether we can afford to live on my husband's income (Boston rent, childcare, etc). Regardless, it's certainly better than the unsubsidized loans that were first offered to me. Anyone else in this chat considering this program? I'd love to connect.

The bad news is that I spoke to a faculty member at Hopkins HBS and she 'didn't see my name on the acceptance list'. I'm really disappointed. Not only is it an excellent program but logistically we could have stayed in the DC area.  I am still holding hope until I have it in black and white on the website or via email that my application was rejected.  

And finally - I'm rooting for everyone here, but MammaD I just want you to know that from momma to momma I'm sending all my very best wishes.

I have some good news and bad news. The good is that I spoke to the coordinator at Harvard's Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences and she says that they provide tuition for all doctoral students (for the first two years) but that it's very, very rare for them to provide stipends. So, now I need to pull out my excel sheet and really give some hard thinking on whether we can afford to live on my husband's income (Boston rent, childcare, etc). Regardless, it's certainly better than the unsubsidized loans that were first offered to me. Anyone else in this chat considering this program? I'd love to connect.

The bad news is that I spoke to a faculty member at Hopkins HBS and she 'didn't see my name on the acceptance list'. I'm really disappointed. Not only is it an excellent program but logistically we could have stayed in the DC area.  I am still holding hope until I have it in black and white on the website or via email that my application was rejected.  

And finally - I'm rooting for everyone here, but MammaD I just want you to know that from momma to momma I'm sending all my very best wishes.

Hi Gael. Did they say how many people were accepted into the program and did the faculty member at Hopkins mention anything about a waitlist at all? 

Edited by phorangecounty

Two excellent questions which I didn't ask. I was really disappointed. I asked for feedback on my own application and whether there were specific weaknesses in it or whether it was lack of fit. She explained that she wasn't at all involved in the decision making process (wish I would have known that a couple of months ago) but that she could get her hands on my application, review the comments and get back in touch with me. In November, we had a number of conversations about my experience and whether I was a fit for the Department. She felt that I was an excellent fit.....but goes to show I should have reached out to additional faculty. Not that I know whether this would have made a difference.  

I spoke to her on Tuesday and haven't heard back. I'll certainly post when/if I get additional information. I have a feeling that they called/emailed everyone that was accepted and just haven't gotten around to updating the online application of those who were rejected. But again, that's just a feeling. 

@health I interviewed for Harvard's ESS track but have not heard anything yet. I see some acceptances posted on the results page (none specifically for ESS) but still assuming if I didn't get a call that I didn't get in.

Did you interview?

nope, no interview for me. At least, you had an interview, which means you are in a better position than I am.

I didn't get interview, but I met with the admissions coordinator before I applied... 

HMMMM, Maybe you should e--mail them and inquire about status. I have no idea how they roll out these decisions.

Where else did you apply?

Sorry! I miss this earlier. I didn't apply to many programs. Hopkins HBS is my top choice but things aren't looking good. I applied for another program at USC but it's not very public health (a faculty member is doing the research i'm interested in there). 

It's amazing to me the disparity in rate of reply between different schools. I guess some of that has to do with when the applications are due, but come on - we're freaking out here! And, as epidemiwhat pointed out, it's not like this was a cheap process.

But speaking of finances - while some schools are still just sending out admissions decisions, some are really getting down to the funding! I got an email from the program coordinator at my top choice today telling me that funding decisions have been made and I should look for a letter in the next few days. Which was kind of like saying, "Hey! Great news! If you can hold your breath for a week, we might give you a really great gift!" Newsflash: my lung capacity is like, zero.  :wacko:

Awwww, right back atcha, Gael. You really brightened my day!

Lots of big dreams in this group -- I'm eager for the waiting to be over and we can cheer each other on.

My sort of OT good news: I launched my thesis research last week and it is HUGE already. It's a pretty involved questionnaire distributed via social media and it's getting a tremendous response from the study population. I'm super excited and my advisor thinks we have several options for publication and a real impact on clinical practice. :)

Hey Gael, it's funny that I also asked the academic coordinator at Hopkins and they gave me a totally different answer. She said the admission is based on a rolling basis and they have not made all decisions yet. I am confused. If that is true, why would the person you asked told you the opposite thing? By the way, I applied for HBS PhD as well. Thanks! 

Hi just to chime in with a little info.

I received my official acceptance letter from Hopkins HBS in the mail this week and was e-mailed the unofficial results via last week. However, I do not think they have made all the decisions just yet. It is strange that you are getting conflicting info but they have started rolling out decisions.

I am hoping that everyone receives the results they desire!

Some updates:  I got my official rejection from Berkeley HSPA yesterday and today from UNC Health Behavior.  Got word from Columbia's SMS PhD program that they have extended offers to a very few select top candidates, but possibly have some more offers they will extend soon. 

Some updates:  I got my official rejection from Berkeley HSPA yesterday and today from UNC Health Behavior.  Got word from Columbia's SMS PhD program that they have extended offers to a very few select top candidates, but possibly have some more offers they will extend soon. 

Thanks belafish for the updates! :)

Some updates: I got my official rejection from Berkeley HSPA yesterday and today from UNC Health Behavior. Got word from Columbia's SMS PhD program that they have extended offers to a very few select top candidates, but possibly have some more offers they will extend soon.

Thank you for your updates! Good luck everybody!!

Edited by Mazaya