The Waiting Game - Fall 2013 - Share your progress!

radiomars

Hello everyone,

I have an interview with MIT-HASTS this friday. Any advice? I'm nervous if I will be asked about the other schools I applied to (and mentioned on the app for some stupid reason)... since I havent heard anything from anyone else, I am feeling a bit sheepish. 

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

I have an interview with MIT-HASTS this friday. Any advice? I'm nervous if I will be asked about the other schools I applied to (and mentioned on the app for some stupid reason)... since I havent heard anything from anyone else, I am feeling a bit sheepish. 

Thanks!

Hi Ramya, 

Based on my experience, schools are typically asking to reiterate what you said in your SoP but also asking questions about your research interests. I know Yale was very specific with their questions but not all tend to do that. Also, prepare to talk about why MIT is your top option. Those 3 things should cover most of it. All the best to you!

Hey thanks a ton!

What kind of specific questions did Yale ask? I am asking because I want to know what are the kind of specifics uni's can ask!

P.S. have you gotten an offer from Yale?

Hey thanks a ton!

What kind of specific questions did Yale ask? I am asking because I want to know what are the kind of specifics uni's can ask!

P.S. have you gotten an offer from Yale?

Sure! Happy to help.

The questions were specific to my research interest/ proposal, as I had specified in detail what i wanted to focus on. No offer yet :( but I believe none of those who have applied or been interviewed know of the final decisions. They said we would hear by the 1st week of march...

I'm a newbie around here, and I'm having very discouraging time with applications this round. I was wondering if any of you who have received acceptances in socio-cultural anthropology would be willing to discuss your credentials a bit further? I desperately want to come to terms with my rejections and being passed over for interviews, and I think it would be really helpful for me to hear from you all.

A bit about me: I graduated summa cum laude from a highly-ranked liberal arts college, where I majored in anthropology. I have a regional focus, which I have been exploring since I was a freshman, and years of language training. I have also worked for a number of esteemed professors at several colleges and universities. My GRE scores were not great, but I scored in the 91st percentile in english and was hoping that would suffice. I have recommendations from professors I consider dear friends as well as mentors, and I received positive feedback from both programs I was rejected from (in addition to a third, where I also presume I'm out of the running).

So far I have been rejected from two programs. I have not been chosen for interviews at another five schools. What gives?!?!

I would agree with the luck of the draw philosophy. Imagine 200+ applicants with similar profiles to you competing for 5 spots. It gets really tough to know what makes you stand apart at that point. Everyone on this board is amazing and if this sampling is any indication of the general applicant pool...oh my!  it is amazing that any of us got into any schools....

You just have a lot of amazing people applying for very few spots at really great programs..dont feel down. Keep at it! you sound amazing... you will find a place. Promise. ;)

Hello everyone,

Thanks!

Instead of confessing that you haven't heard back from anywhere else, you could always just say something like "I applied to several other programs and I of course have to give them consideration as well, but MIT really is my top choice."  If they ask you about other schools I don't think they will press you beyond that.  GOOD LUCK!

For those of you still looking for programs/having poor luck, I received this email from a list serv-

All,
I am writing to announce that we have funding for exceptional PhD students in our department-- students must apply for next year to be considered. Please email me directly for details.  scrate1@gmu.edu
Thanks,
Susie

Susan A. Crate
Associate Professor of Anthropology
Department of Environmental Science and Policy
George Mason University
David King Hall, MS 5F2
4400 University Drive
Fairfax, Va  22030-4400
tele:  703-993-1517
FAX: 703-993-1066
http://mason.gmu.edu/~scrate1/

For those of you still looking for programs/having poor luck, I received this email from a list serv-

All,

I am writing to announce that we have funding for exceptional PhD students in our department-- students must apply for next year to be considered. Please email me directly for details.  scrate1@gmu.edu

Thanks,

Susie

Susan A. Crate

Associate Professor of Anthropology

Department of Environmental Science and Policy

George Mason University

David King Hall, MS 5F2

4400 University Drive

Fairfax, Va  22030-4400

tele:  703-993-1517

FAX: 703-993-1066

http://mason.gmu.edu/~scrate1/

Unless I am missing something, they only have an MA in anthropology listed on the schools webpage.  Could not see any information on a PhD.

I noticed someone posted a rejection in sociocultural anthro, phd program, from York University. Does anyone have any other information on that? I applied to York and UofT's PhD programs in socio anthro and I know UofT should be sending out word any day now, but I wasn't expecting to hear anything from York until mid-March o.O

I've heard nothing from either yet and I'm dying inside that someone heard from York, my top choice and the only school I fit in. I was rejected from McMaster last week though oddly. My GPA is perfect. What else do they want?

Just heard from the University of Arizona today, from a kind of friend/acquaintance in the department. The list of those who will get offers and funding has been compiled. If you are lucky enough to be receiving funding you will likely find out this week or early next.

I also applied to BU, York, and U of T. No word from any of them yet. Anyone heard anything from BU?

Any medical anthros out there applying to PhDs at those schools?

Edited by cawarnock

was anybody the forensic anthro MA admit at university of montana? if you were, pm me! that's where i'll most likely end up so it'd be nice to get in touch with another admit, even though i'm archaeo/general.

Edited by pears

It looks like I didn't get in anywhere this year. I'm disappointed but mostly I keep thinking of how much money I spent on applications and how else I could have spent it :\

I'm really sorry to hear that, Lexicon. I wouldn't stress about prior decisions you made regarding application fees and whatnot. You made the best decision you could at the time and you took a shot at your dream. Nothing to regret. I hope you try again next year!

I'm really sorry to hear that, Lexicon. I wouldn't stress about prior decisions you made regarding application fees and whatnot. You made the best decision you could at the time and you took a shot at your dream. Nothing to regret. I hope you try again next year!

Thanks for the supportive response :) I don't know if I'm going to reapply next year. This was my second year applying and I'm not sure how I could improve before the next round of deadlines. Plus, I don't think I will be able to afford another thousand dollars in application/transcript/gre fees.

Thanks for the supportive response :) I don't know if I'm going to reapply next year. This was my second year applying and I'm not sure how I could improve before the next round of deadlines. Plus, I don't think I will be able to afford another thousand dollars in application/transcript/gre fees.

Have you tried reaching out to the POIs youve been in contact wih and asking for some feedback? That might be a good place to start. But like radiomars said, don't forget how amazing you are and how it took a lot of guts to follow your dream. I've shared it with some of you but I'll tell you too: When I first started this process there were many points when I wanted to give up, and then my sister said, "When you first started this process there was part of you that really believed you could do this. It was that part of you that believed in your abilities to grab hold of your dream. Cling to that belief...especially when things get tough. It is that belief that will help get you through. Don't forget that. Don't give up. You're closer than you think." Sending all my best. You can do this.

Called University of Toronto today and was told offers have been sent out by mail (posted either today or yesterday) so fingers crossed! They're not sure whether they're going to have rounds and a wait list just yet so we shall see how things play out.

Keep your chin up Lexicon! I'm afraid I may be in the same boat (I think we all have that underlying fear) but another door will open. I agree about the money part :( Ordering my transcripts from four universities was so expensive and painful. I could have went on holiday with that money  :(

Panicattacks, last year they took 8, according to this -> http://www.yale.edu/graduateschool/academics/profiles2012/anthropology.pdf

Also, unrelatedly, I was reading this really quickly and I read your screen name as 'pancakeattacks' which sounds REALLY AWESOME and now I want pancakes. 

Hi All, 

I am waiting to hear back from 3 schools I applied to. 2 were due Dec. 1 and one due Jan. 15. The wait is sooo hard!! If I don't get into any of the three, my plan is to work for a year and apply again for next year :)

dangit, now there's an admit to the same program i applied for at texas state..! they got a decision via email this morning, so obviously, now is when all of my daily spam emails decide to roll in. arghhhh.