The Waiting Game - Fall 2013 - Share your progress!

radiomars

i'm inclined to agree with bourdieu about potential admit into the MA program. i'm one of the Columbia admits for the PhD, and i believe there are only about 11 of us total, with the vast majority in sociocultural. it seems like Columbia sends out letters on an individual basis, at least for acceptances. by that i mean some people have known for a few weeks and others have only recently been accepted. it is possible that they still have one or two spots to fill at the PhD level, but i think that it's unlikely. perhaps, though, there is a chance at an MA acceptance.

i hope that helps, and try to stay positive. all of my acceptances literally came on a single day-- and well into the month of March at that--, after i had given up hope on hearing anything. there is still time!

Yay Columbia limbo for everyone! I guess since Columbia is one of the last to notify they might be waiting for some initial rejections to form the offer list/waitlist???

that seems to be the case. I don't know exactly how many people have already committed, but it's definitely not everyone. many are choosing between a few schools, so it's not unrealistic to assume that some spots will open up. 

I was accepted to U Denver as well with a nice funding package (unofficially of course)! I was waitlisted at Johns Hopkins, so I'm not feeling particularly confident about getting off.  I think I'm going to accept DU's offer. 

Any thoughts out there?  Would it be imprudent or impolite to call JHU and ask about my status on the wait list since I do have an offer from elsewhere?

Absolutely ok to call them and ask your status. It won't affect you negatively and you have a right to ask. Tell them you have an offer from elsewhere and tell them the deadline by which you have to accept that one.

Hey

I just have one question about Harvard. Did they accept anyone via postal service?

I am beginning to think that they do in fact inform accepted applicants by phone or email and only send rejections by post, since no one on the board got in through a letter.

So, I'm waiting on a couple schools with absolutely no response though applications were due Dec. 1. I'm starting to lose my mind as I have yet to receive a single official acceptance. Is it appropriate to email these programs about my status, or should I just keep waiting and assume they will contact me when decisions are available? It just seems like a rather long time for decisions.

Also, congrats to all the amazing acceptances I've seen on this board! As another mentioned, I was initially intimidated by GCF but am so thankful for the support system it provides in the emotional application process.

Absolutely ok to call them and ask your status. It won't affect you negatively and you have a right to ask. Tell them you have an offer from elsewhere and tell them the deadline by which you have to accept that one.

Thanks spivak_khayesh!  I contacted them, and he let me know they don't have a ranked wait list.  I'm not sure what that means.  Are you familiar with this?  How will they likely make their decisions from the April 15th deadline?

So, I'm waiting on a couple schools with absolutely no response though applications were due Dec. 1. I'm starting to lose my mind as I have yet to receive a single official acceptance. Is it appropriate to email these programs about my status, or should I just keep waiting and assume they will contact me when decisions are available? It just seems like a rather long time for decisions.

Also, congrats to all the amazing acceptances I've seen on this board! As another mentioned, I was initially intimidated by GCF but am so thankful for the support system it provides in the emotional application process.

If you haven't already contacted them, then I personally don't think there's any problem with sending a polite email asking if they can give you any insight into their timeline for the admissions process.  If you aren't accepted, then they might just go ahead and tell you (which happened to me).  Good luck!

Edited by anxiousanthro

Has anyone applied to the MIT HASTS program? I was interviewed last month and was told that notifications should be sent out mid march. But that hasn't happened. I am guessing I am rejected but I just wanted to know if anyone else has heard.

Wow, things certainly have slowed down. I'm still wait listed at Yale. Anyone else? 

All my stress refreshing died away when I was mercifully given final word.  Now, it's stress city researching, stress school planning (for the kids), stress moving, etc.  

Hey Guys - Like so many others, I've been reading this thread for a while, but haven't posted.  I wanted to say congrats to all those who were accepted to some really great schools!   Is anyone else still waiting to hear from NYU for culture and media?  I assume I've been rejected, but I'm still keeping some hope alive until I have a rejection letter in hand.  

Hey

So is anyone still waiting to hear from the University of Arizona, Tuson? I have seen both acceptances and rejections and I have heard nothing.

Should I contact them?

I haven't heard a thing from them either. I'm still waiting to hear from multiple schools. I'm assuming all rejections at this point. 

I haven't heard a thing from them either. I'm still waiting to hear from multiple schools. I'm assuming all rejections at this point. 

Thanks for the response:) Does anyone have any idea what the protocol is for contacting a department about your application status? I have never done it before, so who do people usually write to and how does one phrase the inquiry?

Thanks for the response:) Does anyone have any idea what the protocol is for contacting a department about your application status? I have never done it before, so who do people usually write to and how does one phrase the inquiry?

I just emailed asking for an expected timeframe for results today. I noticed that people saw a change in their application status, which still has not changed for me.