What are You Currently Reading?

thedig13

I'm currently reading, At the Dark End of the Street: Black Women, Rape and Resistance--a New History of the Civil Rights Movement from Rosa Parks to the Rise of Black Power, by Danielle L. McGuire. I know that is quite a long title but I have no control over that. I am enjoying it and it gives a new perspective about Black women in the Civil Rights Movement that is rarely discussed..

Because I really don't want to read anymore books on my dissertation topic (articles yes, books, no) I'm rereading The Picture of Dorian Gray. Oscar Wilde is pure genius.

The Picture of Dorian Gray. Oscar Wilde is pure genius.

One of my favorites, annieca.

Right now, I'm preparing for my comps on Jan. 29! Eeek! So I'm reading..everything. At the moment I'm working on my 18th century list...

Here's a few:

Sinews of Power - John Brewer

Making of the Modern Self - Dror Wahrman

Men and the Emergence of Polite Society - Philip Carter

Guest lefilsdhomme

i am in the middle of Charles Burns' graphic novel Black Hole (about high school kids with a weird venerial disease), which I am teaching this semester.  I have also been watching movies to decide which to assign (I am teaching cultural history of American Medicine).

Ohhhhh, that's a great one! I'm building up a paper on Tom of Finland's Kake comic series and a lot of my reading has to do with that:

• An anthology of gay pulp fiction.
  • Eve Sedgwick's Between Men...
  • Duncan & Smith, The Power of Comics...
  • Always more Foucault...
  • and in other news, Satish Padiyar's Chains: David, Canova, and the fall of the public hero in post-revolutionary France.

Ohhhhh, that's a great one! I'm building up a paper on Tom of Finland's Kake comic series and a lot of my reading has to do with that:

Have you read Stuck Rubber Baby.  It's a semi auto-biographical graphic novel about a gay white kid growing up in Birmingham, Al. while becoming involved in the Civil Rights Movement.  It is pretty brilliant.  I need to look in kake.  It sounds very interesting!  Also we have very similar taste in theory.  I am a foucauldian through and through.  I also really like Sedgwick.

Edited by Riotbeard

Guest lefilsdhomme

Have you read Stuck Rubber Baby.  It's a semi auto-biographical graphic novel about a gay white kid growing up in Birmingham, Al. while becoming involved in the Civil Rights Movement.  It is pretty brilliant.  I need to look in kake.  It sounds very interesting!  Also we have very similar taste in theory.  I am a foucauldian through and through.  I also really like Sedgwick.

FOUCAULDIANS! In terms of theory, I'm also pretty into Intersectionalism. I have not read Stuck Rubber Baby, but it sounds fantastic and I'm hunting down a copy as I type. If gay visual culture interests you I would highly recommend reading Kake. Those ubiquitous leather daddies say some great (and some not-so-great) things about pre-stonewall gay identity with their gargantuan dicks.

For serious: Food in Russian History and Culture

For intellectual fun and edification: A Philosophy of Poverty

For literary pleasures on my breaks at work: Nostromo

Because it's part of an annual thing I do: The Children of Hurin

I'm not currently in school, so I've just been doing lots of pleasure reading (some of which would not be so pleasurable to others, I imagine) because I know that will soon come to an end. Right now, Elaine Dundy's The Dud Avocado, which is enjoyable simply for its 1950s Paris setting.

My poor Kindle didn't know what hit it yesterday when I put six journal articles on either immigrant nostalgia or Czechoslovakia's breakup...and then followed it up with Australia's 600 page Asian Manifesto and Animal Farm.

On the plus side, I can only escape the articles by reading Orwell. Always good!

Wendy Kline, Bodies of Knowledge: Sexuality, Reproduction, and Women's Health in the Second Wave.  I am also rereading Charles Rosenberg's The Cholera Years.

Lefils:  I am really interested in Identity issues and the idea of the body.  I have done some work on sexual politics, but most of my stuff has to do with race.

I did a research trip over the last three weeks as part of my MA (went fab!), and to kill time on the trains, I managed to read all of Les Miserables.  I really do love this book, on the third read through.  I can only do it once every 5 years though -- it is huge and sprawling, but Hugo really knows how to tie bows and give you happy feelings while at the same time ripping your heart out. 

Also -- I like the new movie more now because I realize/remember that any changes they made to the movie were reversions to the book!

What I read changes almost every day, but I thought I would put in a plug for Michael Patrick MacDonald's All Souls: A Family Story from Southie. It is not a "history book," but rather a memoir, which I consider a "fun book." I am really enjoying it and undergrads love it. I think this paired with memoir on the Civil Rights Movement would be perfect for a survey course. Plus, the author is teaching at my grad school this semester and I'm taking his course on Northern Ireland so I feel that I should put it a plug. 

I took what I wanted from it, realizing that my knowledge of the various scenarios was constrained to what Dr. Wiener presented. I prefer books that revel in the complexities of the human condition and expect readers to arrive at their own conclusions. It's not as if I don't appreciate a point of view, but I feel like if one is attempting to prove a thesis one should be exceedingly rigorous and cognizant of the critiques those with opposing views might levy. I prefer an airtight argument, if one can be made. This was not offered. That being said, I enjoyed reading it and gleaning from it what I could. If any one thing emerged that I will take away from it, it is the litigious nature of our society and the impact that had on the AHA in multiple cases. That, and -- between the lines -- be very careful choosing your advisor.

• 2 weeks later...

Re-reading for teaching: Drew Faust,  This Republic of Suffering: Death and the American Civil War

Stephen Jay Gould, The Mismeasure of Man

Jim Downs, Sick from Freedom: African American Illness and Suffering during the Civil War and Reconstruction.

Genocide after Emotion

International Intervention in the Balkans since 1995

Eyewitness to a Genocide

And then also The Voice of the Past. Class readings has continued!

• 3 months later...